Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 455

Thread: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

  1. #141
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Plus, we aren't just talking about the way pseudophedrine works here. We are talking about selling Plan B completely OTC, where there isn't even a pharmacist to talk to the teen about the potential problems that misusing Plan B can cause.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #142
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret: This Conservative idea pushed over the last 30 years that the way Israelites lived in 3,000 BC is somehow "cool" is complete effing garbage................................
    What are you talking about? What part of what I am saying is something from the way Israelites lives long ago? Oh thats right none of it. It is about teaching teenagers responsibility before they are expected to act like adults, and that involves putting some reasonable restrictions on what teens are able to do.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #143
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,369

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    So that automatically nulls their ability to correct the situation, make it better? I don't think so. No one is perfect, including good parents.
    Well, yeah it does. The girl already had unprotected sex. At that point, the parents can't reach up her vajayjay and stop the egg from implanting itself.


    And we don't allow teens to purchase a lot of items that can be harmful to them so that the decision is left up to someone more responsible. As it should be. And for this. Time is not so critical that she would not have time to get Plan B from an adult, preferably her parents. Most girls won't be buying Plan B that fast anyway. Plus, many think that taking it within 3 days is just as effective as the day after. Wrong info abounds on this issue, info that needs to be corrected for teens by adults, not just left to be wrong.
    It seems that the risk of potential harm is not great enough to justify not selling it OTC. And the girl may not have rushed to the pharmacy. The clock is ticking, and there's no reason to delay.

    And it's the pharmacists job to inform their customers about when a drug is indicated and how it works. You can't argue that there's plenty of time (enough to get the parents involved) and then claim that many teens won't get it right away. And the time for parents to educate their children is sometime before they engage in unprotected sex

    Your argument really is not about the health of the teen. It's more about the parents. Such beliefs about the proper way to raise a child is not something that should be enforced by a pharmacist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #144
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,386

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Well, yeah it does. The girl already had unprotected sex. At that point, the parents can't reach up her vajayjay and stop the egg from implanting itself.




    It seems that the risk of potential harm is not great enough to justify not selling it OTC. And the girl may not have rushed to the pharmacy. The clock is ticking, and there's no reason to delay.

    And it's the pharmacists job to inform their customers about when a drug is indicated and how it works. You can't argue that there's plenty of time (enough to get the parents involved) and then claim that many teens won't get it right away. And the time for parents to educate their children is sometime before they engage in unprotected sex

    Your argument really is not about the health of the teen. It's more about the parents. Such beliefs about the proper way to raise a child is not something that should be enforced by a pharmacist.
    A pharmacist does not have to counsel on OTCs nor are people required to ask questions regarding them. Pharmacist, physician, mid level practitioners, I think some healthcare professional needs to be counselling and evaluating a minor who is about to use Plan B and I think that the parents have a right to be informed and consent to their child's healthcare decision. They are still a minor and the parents are still in charge of their healthcare. In many places you can't give a kid Tylenol at school without parental consent, why should they be able to buy contraceptive synthetic hormones without at least a consultation or conditions for safe use? Making something completely OTC would be putting it on the shelf with everything else that you can just pick up and buy. You don't even need a pharmacist or any kind of healthcare professional present to even buy unregulated OTC products so they may not even have access to anyone that can answer their questions.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    What are you talking about? What part of what I am saying is something from the way Israelites lives long ago? Oh thats right none of it. It is about teaching teenagers responsibility before they are expected to act like adults, and that involves putting some reasonable restrictions on what teens are able to do.
    The values, they suck..................Get it ?....................................

  6. #146
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Well, yeah it does. The girl already had unprotected sex. At that point, the parents can't reach up her vajayjay and stop the egg from implanting itself.
    No, they can help her get better information and help her see that there are better methods to prevent pregnancy than relying on Plan B.

    They can't even be aware that they messed up in teaching her about sex if they don't know she even needs Plan B because she can get it on her own.


    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It seems that the risk of potential harm is not great enough to justify not selling it OTC. And the girl may not have rushed to the pharmacy. The clock is ticking, and there's no reason to delay.

    And it's the pharmacists job to inform their customers about when a drug is indicated and how it works. You can't argue that there's plenty of time (enough to get the parents involved) and then claim that many teens won't get it right away. And the time for parents to educate their children is sometime before they engage in unprotected sex

    Your argument really is not about the health of the teen. It's more about the parents. Such beliefs about the proper way to raise a child is not something that should be enforced by a pharmacist.
    It is about the health of the teen. Your argument is much less about the health of the teen and more about allowing teens to be free to do whatever they want, unimpeded. I care about side effects of longterm use, or rather misuse of Plan B. I care about a teen not knowing that she can't rely on what should be emergency birth control just because some assume that she would know better than to use it as such. I care about the unintentional pregnancy that I have personally seen result from relying on Plan B as birth control. We should be trying to prevent these in the long run, not coming up with reasons to put temporary bandaids on the problem, unprotected/irresponsible sexual behavior that is continued because the parents are prevented from even having a chance to know about the problem.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #147
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rolesville, NC
    Last Seen
    06-22-18 @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    30,324

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    The values, they suck..................Get it ?....................................
    What values are you talking about? I haven't talked about any values except encouraging responsible sexual activity in teens. I don't care really if teens are having sex, but I do care about kids having unsafe sex because they didn't get information because some expect that they should just know.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #148
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,369

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    A pharmacist does not have to counsel on OTCs nor are people required to ask questions regarding them. Pharmacist, physician, mid level practitioners, I think some healthcare professional needs to be counselling and evaluating a minor who is about to use Plan B and I think that the parents have a right to be informed and consent to their child's healthcare decision. They are still a minor and the parents are still in charge of their healthcare. In many places you can't give a kid Tylenol at school without parental consent, why should they be able to buy contraceptive synthetic hormones without at least a consultation or conditions for safe use? Making something completely OTC would be putting it on the shelf with everything else that you can just pick up and buy. You don't even need a pharmacist or any kind of healthcare professional present to even buy unregulated OTC products so they may not even have access to anyone that can answer their questions.
    I think that it should be sold by a pharmacist so that someone can provide information (not counseling) to the child. However, I don't a reason to get the parents involved, just as they do not need to be involved every time a child takes an aspirin. Again, your concern is not about the childs health; it's about enforcing the parents control over their children which is not the job of a pharmacist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #149
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    62,369

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, they can help her get better information and help her see that there are better methods to prevent pregnancy than relying on Plan B.

    They can't even be aware that they messed up in teaching her about sex if they don't know she even needs Plan B because she can get it on her own.
    The time for teaching their child about sex has passed


    It is about the health of the teen. Your argument is much less about the health of the teen and more about allowing teens to be free to do whatever they want, unimpeded. I care about side effects of longterm use, or rather misuse of Plan B. I care about a teen not knowing that she can't rely on what should be emergency birth control just because some assume that she would know better than to use it as such. I care about the unintentional pregnancy that I have personally seen result from relying on Plan B as birth control. We should be trying to prevent these in the long run, not coming up with reasons to put temporary bandaids on the problem, unprotected/irresponsible sexual behavior that is continued because the parents are prevented from even having a chance to know about the problem.
    You are contradicting yourself. On one hand, you say that even kids who just had unprotected sex won't rush to get it, and at the same time argue that all the kids are going to be using it regularly.

    And MAPs aren't a temporary band aid. They prevent a pregnancy. Prevented pregnancies don't come back.

    As far as sex ed goes, no parent is prevented from teaching their child about it. If they need to hear that their child bought Plan B in order to get their ass in gear, then they're not really being responsible themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I don't have any issue with any investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #150
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    06-04-18 @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    I think the purchase should be recorded and put into a data base like other behind-the-counter non-prescription drugs to watch for excessive purchasing and potential abuse and misuse.

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •