Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 455

Thread: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

  1. #131
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    The part of sex which requires a capable adult is the pregnancy and raising the child. You do not need to be an adult to get pleasure from sexual stimulation.
    No, but just having sex does not make you an adult when you are a teenager. You are still a teenager, making teenaged decisions after the sex, including whether to rely on Plan B or to actually consider being put on birth control that is more effective.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #132
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I disagree.

    If a young child needs Plan B, then it's because she's had unprotected sex. This means that the parent, relative or guardian has not, for whatever reason, done a good job of educating their child. Suggesting that the person or people who have failed at something are the people who are best equipped to succeed at it seems to be a bit counter-intuitive, to say the least

    And while some teens may get Plan B for themselves in order to avoid being grounded, there are teens who are risk of far more serious consequences at the hands of parents who are abusive, or parents who are pro-life.
    One misstep on a parent's part, that may not even be the parent's fault, is not a reason to keep them out of this knowledge, to give them the chance to talk the teen into using more effective, better methods of birth control.

    And there are few teens, particularly ones that could afford Plan B, who would face "worse consequences" because of parental consent requirements. Plus, that can be alleviated by allowing a healthcare professional/social worker of some type to approve Plan B in those circumstance. I would rather the teen get help from such a situation than continue to sweep it under the rug because we want to fulfill some social agenda of giving teens what some feel is more sexual freedom.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    One misstep on a parent's part, that may not even be the parent's fault, is not a reason to keep them out of this knowledge, to give them the chance to talk the teen into using more effective, better methods of birth control.

    And there are few teens, particularly ones that could afford Plan B, who would face "worse consequences" because of parental consent requirements. Plus, that can be alleviated by allowing a healthcare professional/social worker of some type to approve Plan B in those circumstance. I would rather the teen get help from such a situation than continue to sweep it under the rug because we want to fulfill some social agenda of giving teens what some feel is more sexual freedom.
    Because denying them sexual freedom worked so well.............right............................ ..

  4. #134
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Because denying them sexual freedom worked so well.............right............................ ..
    I'm not saying to deny them sexual freedom, but there really isn't a reason to not restrict it, not when we are talking about teenagers, that few want to end up pregnant.

    This effort won't significantly reduce teen pregnancies, not from what we have seen so far with Plan B. It may not even reduce them at all. It is supposed to be an emergency contraceptive, but teens in good amounts, will be more likely to use as primary birth control if they are able in any way possible. This is a bad idea.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #135
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    One misstep on a parent's part, that may not even be the parent's fault, is not a reason to keep them out of this knowledge, to give them the chance to talk the teen into using more effective, better methods of birth control.
    Whatever the did or did not do, it didn't take.

    And there are few teens, particularly ones that could afford Plan B, who would face "worse consequences" because of parental consent requirements. Plus, that can be alleviated by allowing a healthcare professional/social worker of some type to approve Plan B in those circumstance. I would rather the teen get help from such a situation than continue to sweep it under the rug because we want to fulfill some social agenda of giving teens what some feel is more sexual freedom.
    I think there are more than you believe there to be. And getting other people involved seems like a time waster at a point where time is of the essence.

    And the issue isn't about sexual freedom for teens. That's a red herring. By the time a teen goes to buy it, she's already having sex. Allowing her to purchase this is not approving or even condoning what she's done, just as allowing someone to purchase cough medicine is not approval for going out in the rain without an umbrella.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It's not indicated for that and should not be used as primary birth control or used before planned unprotected sex.
    That is probably why it is referred to as plan B. You know since it is not the primary plan for birth control. It is also referred to as emergency contraception, and there are numerous warnings all around that say it is not for primary BC purposes. Just because some people ignore that does not mean it is ignored by everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Plan B is emergency contraception used in the event that primary contraception is suspected of failing or contraception was never used. Even if it might work the day before it is not indicated for that nor should it be used to prevent it.
    No, but it has the potential of working after someone does something completely human and makes a mistake. Expecting people to be perfect is a rather high expectation that is not going to ever happen. So yes i would rather have an alternative available than not.

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    You may see someone else's faith or views as "religious idiocy" but no matter how idiotic you think their views are you are still not the parent and it's not your call to make nor should it be your call to make. Just because some parents may have reasoning you think is idiotic doesn't mean they shouldn't have a say in their child's contraceptive healthcare or have the child using those medications without parental consent/being informed.
    This desire to have parents there is not about healthcare. it is because parents want the ability to say no because of their religious values. Sorry, but the religious people of the US have made themselves way to obvious for me to pretend they are not the primary objection to this. Since the kid would have to live with being a parent I think they should have the final say in the matter. They will have to be pregnant, and they may have to raise their own child. They should be allowed to say no to that. having them be punished by going through a pregnancy and having a child is not sane or rational and the parents should not be in the way of the decision to use plan B. Like I was saying above if you wanted to make some sort of registry to prevent abuse of the drug and have some sort of educational intervention or restriction of toxic levels of the drug i could see that. But i do not see any reason to allow a parent to refuse their child Plan b simply because of their religious BS. Especially considering the product doesn't even cause abortion as many religious people wrongly believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Regardless, I think the general misinformation and lack of knowledge by the general population regarding hormonal contraception and emergency contraception far outweighs any kind of reasoning behind making it purely OTC because some parents have have "religious idiocy." The fact is is that most people, religious or not, are not educated on how the pill works and it shouldn't be something that's left up for someone to Google and find medical info on the web for.
    When the zealots start quieting themselves down so they are not so obviously out there and all over the place i will perhaps agree with you, but the reality is they are out there, and pregnancy is not a punishment by god for having sex. Besides, i actually trust the kids to be better educated and use resources like the internet to find out real information about these things than their religious zealot parents are. The religious people tend to ignore science because it is inconvenient, and as we are finding their children are learning more and more despite their parents ignorance.

    i also should mention that anon web lookups are far easier and less stressful than talking to your parent about having sex. It is far more likely a child would look stuff up on the internet considering it won't punish you, it doesn't judge you, and that is why we need proper information to be available to them.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, but just having sex does not make you an adult when you are a teenager. You are still a teenager, making teenaged decisions after the sex, including whether to rely on Plan B or to actually consider being put on birth control that is more effective.
    Yeah, by the time you need plan B it is way to late for regular BC pills, or protection. they have already had sex at that point so you cannot put the genie back into the bottle. It is time to let them have the Plan B and if you want to offer suggestions they seek out regular BC and try to sell them some condoms for the next time i am not opposed. I actually think that would be a much better thing to suggest at the pharmacy than asking them if they want one of the chain's discount cards.

  8. #138
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Whatever the did or did not do, it didn't take.
    So that automatically nulls their ability to correct the situation, make it better? I don't think so. No one is perfect, including good parents.

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I think there are more than you believe there to be. And getting other people involved seems like a time waster at a point where time is of the essence.

    And the issue isn't about sexual freedom for teens. That's a red herring. By the time a teen goes to buy it, she's already having sex. Allowing her to purchase this is not approving or even condoning what she's done, just as allowing someone to purchase cough medicine is not approval for going out in the rain without an umbrella.
    And we don't allow teens to purchase a lot of items that can be harmful to them so that the decision is left up to someone more responsible. As it should be. And for this. Time is not so critical that she would not have time to get Plan B from an adult, preferably her parents. Most girls won't be buying Plan B that fast anyway. Plus, many think that taking it within 3 days is just as effective as the day after. Wrong info abounds on this issue, info that needs to be corrected for teens by adults, not just left to be wrong.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #139
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Yeah, by the time you need plan B it is way to late for regular BC pills, or protection. they have already had sex at that point so you cannot put the genie back into the bottle. It is time to let them have the Plan B and if you want to offer suggestions they seek out regular BC and try to sell them some condoms for the next time i am not opposed. I actually think that would be a much better thing to suggest at the pharmacy than asking them if they want one of the chain's discount cards.
    But it isn't too late to get that one dose of Plan B and get them to a doctor to be put on birth control, a more effective birth control method. Teenagers are notoriously reactive. We as adults should not be encouraging that, which is what Plan B does since it is a reactive method of birth control, not a proactive one.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm not saying to deny them sexual freedom, but there really isn't a reason to not restrict it, not when we are talking about teenagers, that few want to end up pregnant.

    This effort won't significantly reduce teen pregnancies, not from what we have seen so far with Plan B. It may not even reduce them at all. It is supposed to be an emergency contraceptive, but teens in good amounts, will be more likely to use as primary birth control if they are able in any way possible. This is a bad idea.
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret: This Conservative idea pushed over the last 30 years that the way Israelites lived in 3,000 BC is somehow "cool" is complete effing garbage................................

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •