Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 455

Thread: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

  1. #121
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good evening, HOJ.

    Many parents feel that subject should be handled in the home, especially when they learned what was being taught in the schools. They didn't teach "sex education" when I was in high school, but the subject matter was covered in Biology at a very rudimentary level. At any rate, why are there so many teen pregnancies these days? Either the kids aren't paying attention, or their curiosity is being piqued, or something... :
    Not sure of your age, but they taught sex ed in my High School and that was almost 40 years ago.

    And yes, many parents feel that sex ed should happen in the happen. Many feel they same way about math, science, and geography. They are free to home school their children. They are not free to deny other parents children a complete education because they think the subject is "icky" (or for any other reason)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I've heard of patients calling and asking if they could take Plan B prior to a weekend of partying assuming that they could not get pregnant within a 3 day period. The pharmacist had to explain to her that it is used as emergency contraception after the fact and should not be used prior to unprotected sex as a form of primary birth control. I've heard of some female patients ask if it would make their breasts grow larger or regulate their period.
    If it delays ovulation it would probably have the same effect as taking it afterwards. Of course, it would seem that you could get 2 months of BC or hundreds of condoms for the cost of one pill. Still, it is a bit to late for regular BC that weekend, but if your plans are to go out and slut it up with people you don't know for a weekend hundreds of condoms is a far better solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Even if it is made OTC for everyone I still think it needs to be behind the pharmacy counter with conditions for safe use and counselling being provided before someone can purchase it. I also think that the parent/guardian should have to sign off on it as well if the girl is a minor and that it should not be dispensed to men.
    With all the religious idiocy and piss poor information around this pill i don't think a parent forcing their child through at least 9 months of pregnancy while they are in school because of stupid moral beliefs is a decision they should have final authority on. If the potential parent doesn't want to have a kid and knows they are way to young or incapable of handling it i do not care for anyone getting in their way of deciding to use emergency contraception. Since certain religious types would refuse to give it to the kids i don't see them as being interested in the wellbeing of the person seeking it. If adults were reasonable, well educated, and respectful people i would agree. Since they are not, i would rather the kid who has to deal with their own future make the choice for their future.

  3. #123
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    I'm always amused when people are so ideological they give someone a hard time for simply making rational and obvious points.

    But good on you, RN.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, they aren't adults just because they start having sex. They are still teenagers, emotionally, physically, mentally, even legally.
    From what I've been told, reproduction is THE goal.............just saying......................

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Psssst: conservatives are whining that it's not working and that the country is wallowing in teen sex (not true, but who am I to question such an enticing meme?) So time to go to Plan B. How's this for a concept: teach kids about sexuality and its consequences! And use professionals.

    Wow, what a concept -- education!
    Now you are just running into other areas of the discussion that I'm not interested in talking about.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which has what to do with this issue? Nothing is lost by forcing teens to have an adult, preferably a parent, relative, and/or legal guardian/medical professional get them Plan B rather than giving them unlimited access. Nothing that can be proven since you can't prove that Plan B reduces unwanted pregnancies overall.
    Actually, yes time is lost and in the case of plan B that is important. Also there is a pretty decent potential many parents won't sign off on it. Yes, Plan B does reduce unwanted pregnancies if it is used. I am not sure where you got that absurd logic, but it will actually prevent pregnancies and has been proven to do so. Since the people who use it don't want to become pregnant then it will prevent unwanted pregnancies. Spreading complete BS is not helping.

    Look, if you want to do something like they do for pseudoephedrine products and create a national database and register purchasers to intervene if they are purchasing too much plan B then I could possibly see that. Still, that would only apply to those people who cross a threshold of purchases and there should be no prevention of a person getting it for a few random emergencies. It would be fairly ineffective and costly, but if it makes you feel better then fight for that.

  7. #127
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which has what to do with this issue? Nothing is lost by forcing teens to have an adult, preferably a parent, relative, and/or legal guardian/medical professional get them Plan B rather than giving them unlimited access. Nothing that can be proven since you can't prove that Plan B reduces unwanted pregnancies overall.
    I disagree.

    If a young child needs Plan B, then it's because she's had unprotected sex. This means that the parent, relative or guardian has not, for whatever reason, done a good job of educating their child. Suggesting that the person or people who have failed at something are the people who are best equipped to succeed at it seems to be a bit counter-intuitive, to say the least

    And while some teens may get Plan B for themselves in order to avoid being grounded, there are teens who are risk of far more serious consequences at the hands of parents who are abusive, or parents who are pro-life.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #128
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    If it delays ovulation it would probably have the same effect as taking it afterwards. Of course, it would seem that you could get 2 months of BC or hundreds of condoms for the cost of one pill. Still, it is a bit to late for regular BC that weekend, but if your plans are to go out and slut it up with people you don't know for a weekend hundreds of condoms is a far better solution.
    It's not indicated for that and should not be used as primary birth control or used before planned unprotected sex. Plan B is emergency contraception used in the event that primary contraception is suspected of failing or contraception was never used. Even if it might work the day before it is not indicated for that nor should it be used for that reason.
    With all the religious idiocy and piss poor information around this pill i don't think a parent forcing their child through at least 9 months of pregnancy while they are in school because of stupid moral beliefs is a decision they should have final authority on. If the potential parent doesn't want to have a kid and knows they are way to young or incapable of handling it i do not care for anyone getting in their way of deciding to use emergency contraception. Since certain religious types would refuse to give it to the kids i don't see them as being interested in the wellbeing of the person seeking it. If adults were reasonable, well educated, and respectful people i would agree. Since they are not, i would rather the kid who has to deal with their own future make the choice for their future.
    You may see someone else's faith or views as "religious idiocy" but no matter how idiotic you think their views are you are still not the parent and it's not your call to make nor should it be your call to make. Just because some parents may have reasoning you think is idiotic doesn't mean they shouldn't have a say in their child's contraceptive healthcare or have the child using those medications without parental consent/being informed.

    Regardless, I think the general misinformation and lack of knowledge by the general population regarding hormonal contraception and emergency contraception far outweighs any kind of reasoning behind making it purely OTC because some parents have have "religious idiocy." The fact is is that most people, religious or not, are not educated on how the pill works and it shouldn't be something that's left up for someone to Google and find medical info on the web for.
    Last edited by digsbe; 04-06-13 at 01:57 AM.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, they aren't adults just because they start having sex. They are still teenagers, emotionally, physically, mentally, even legally.
    The part of sex which requires a capable adult is the pregnancy and raising the child. You do not need to be an adult to get pleasure from sexual stimulation.

  10. #130
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes age restrictions for "morning after" pill

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Actually, yes time is lost and in the case of plan B that is important. Also there is a pretty decent potential many parents won't sign off on it. Yes, Plan B does reduce unwanted pregnancies if it is used. I am not sure where you got that absurd logic, but it will actually prevent pregnancies and has been proven to do so. Since the people who use it don't want to become pregnant then it will prevent unwanted pregnancies. Spreading complete BS is not helping.

    Look, if you want to do something like they do for pseudoephedrine products and create a national database and register purchasers to intervene if they are purchasing too much plan B then I could possibly see that. Still, that would only apply to those people who cross a threshold of purchases and there should be no prevention of a person getting it for a few random emergencies. It would be fairly ineffective and costly, but if it makes you feel better then fight for that.
    How much time? Most teens are going to have to go to a parent anyway to get money for it. Even if they have their own money, what is an extra stop at mom's/dad's to get them to take them to the pharmacy? Not that much time lost. It isn't even like I am suggesting a prescription, just parental/adult consent.

    It prevents individual pregnancies, not overall unwanted pregnancy numbers. Because there are women like my sister who try to use Plan B as primary BC then end up not being able to afford it that one time that gets them pregnant, instead of relying on much more reliable birth control methods, such as contraceptives, depo, or condoms.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •