Page 80 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1628

Thread: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%[W: 831]

  1. #791
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    That's a rather asinine challenge given that Democrats were the minority party while the majority party Republicans wouldn't even pass such a bill.


    Shortly after taking over the Congress, they began working on it. Barney Frank submitted a bill just two months into the 110th Congress. He got it passed in the House but it failed in the Senate. Nancy Pelosi took parts of it and sponsored her own bill a few months later. Democrats did what Republicans couldn't. Pass GSE oversight in the House and the Senate and get a bill in front of the president for him to sign. Unfortunately, by then it was too late. Even by 2006, the housing market started turning south. We needed a bill passed years earlier to stave off the economic crisis we ultimately faced.


    How would I know? I don't speak for them. My guess would be they didn't like what was in it. Hell, even the Republicans wouldn't let it get put to a vote when they had the chance in 2005.
    After what occurred, some measure would have been passed no matter which party was in office. Getting credit for strengthening fire protection after the town burns down is hardly an achievment.

    Secondly, arguing that Republicans couldnt pass a bill because they had some party defectors when the entire dem caucus was against any such measures is a bad argument. If all the dems were against it, how can you then try to say they bear no blame? The were in opposition more than the party attempting to rein in the GSEs.

  2. #792
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Look it's not my problem you don't understand how our Government works

    The record demonstrates that you are a liar. With full Democrat opposition to the bill it was withdrawn because it would not have passed the 60 vote cloture rule for a floor vote. That's why they tried to reintroduce a very similiar bill the next year but again, Democrats blocked any reform down a party line vote. It wouldn't have passed the 60-vote cloture needed on the Senate floor. Democrats only needed 41 votes to stop an up or down vote. You're acting like they were powerless and stood by twiddling their thumbs. It doesn't pass the laugh test.

    Here's a speech Barney Frank gave in 2003

    Barney Frank on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in 2003 | Tax Foundation



    Frank calling it a "phony issue" as he and his fellow Democrats repeatedly tried to block any GSE reform

    Frank: GSE Failure a Phony Issue - American Banker Article



    Harry Reid rejecting GSE reform

    Dems rip new Fannie Mae regulatory measure - UPI.com

    Bush repeatedly called for GSE reform. He was ignored. After the bubble burst, Chris Dodd and the Democrats (the people you worship who scoffed at reform and attacked the regulators as racist) whined how they should have done more. They play people like you like a fiddle.

    Fannie Mae, Freddie `House of Cards' Prompts Takeover (Update2) - Bloomberg



    Frank knew of the accounting errors for years but still did nothing.

    New Documents Uncovered by Judicial Watch Show Congress Ignored Corruption at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac for Years | Judicial Watch



    The Bush Administration diagnosed the problem and proposed new regulations. Frank again opposed it and claimed there was not a problem with the GSEs.

    New Agency Proposed to Oversee Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae - Page 2 - New York Times



    Both Dodd and Frank, (who both dismissed and criticized any reform) then used The Housing Crash to draft Socialist Legislation that has been crippling the Economy ever since

    They opposed GSE reform every step of the way. Even in 2010 AFTER the financial crisis, Democrats BLOCKED GSE reform. You are wasting everyone's time with your nonsense. Democrats = directly responsible for the 2008 Financial Crisis. They blocked any meaningful reform and then used the crisis to ram their political agenda through. Ever since 2008 Obama and the Democrats have been tuning the Public like a fork from one crisis to the next, using crisis' that THEY manufacture to increase the size and power of Government. That's all they keep doing as they poke, prod, and attack the Constitution. Claiming crisis crisis crisis.

    When the left's lies and economic policies continue to fail all we keep hearing are excuses, finger pointing and blame. Only an ignorant clown wouldn't see this scam for what it is and continue to vote Democrat.
    Seriously, do you think posting a lot of unrelated information is going to make up for your inability to prove that bill was filibustered?

    The fact is, it wasn't -- and I gave a link to the bill which proves that it wasn't. Anything else you post is mere deflection on your part because you don't want to blame Republicans for dropping the ball over GSE oversight.

  3. #793
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Seriously, do you think posting a lot of unrelated information is going to make up for your inability to prove that bill was filibustered?

    The fact is, it wasn't -- and I gave a link to the bill which proves that it wasn't. Anything else you post is mere deflection on your part because you don't want to blame Republicans for dropping the ball over GSE oversight.
    And if it were so important, why is it there were no democrat defectors to lend bipartisan support?

    Simple: the democratic caucus and specifically the Congressional Black Caucus were dead set against any such measures. Exposing the utter, stinking lie of your argument.

  4. #794
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    After what occurred, some measure would have been passed no matter which party was in office. Getting credit for strengthening fire protection after the town burns down is hardly an achievment.

    Secondly, arguing that Republicans couldnt pass a bill because they had some party defectors when the entire dem caucus was against any such measures is a bad argument. If all the dems were against it, how can you then try to say they bear no blame? The were in opposition more than the party attempting to rein in the GSEs.
    Democrats were not in charge, so no, they don't get the blame. Republicans wanted the job of running the Congress and they were given that job. With being the party in charge comes the responsibilty when things go wrong. For example, I didn't see a single Conservative blame Republicans for the failure of Congressional Democrats to pass a budget during the years when Democrats controlled both chambers? Nor should they have ... Democrats were in charge, they get the blame.

  5. #795
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    And if it were so important, why is it there were no democrat defectors to lend bipartisan support?

    Simple: the democratic caucus and specifically the Congressional Black Caucus were dead set against any such measures. Exposing the utter, stinking lie of your argument.
    There is no lie. You too can look at the bill and see it wasn't filibustered. Just because Democrats were against it doesn't translate into the bill was filibustered. Republican leadership in the Senate wouldn't even put it to a full vote. Maybe had they, THEN Democrats would have filibustered it. But it never came to that.

    Republicans dropped the ball.

  6. #796
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Democrats were not in charge, so no, they don't get the blame. Republicans wanted the job of running the Congress and they were given that job. With being the party in charge comes the responsibilty when things go wrong. For example, I didn't see a single Conservative blame Republicans for the failure of Congressional Democrats to pass a budget during the years when Democrats controlled both chambers? Nor should they have ... Democrats were in charge, they get the blame.
    They absolutely get the blame if they intend to vote against and intend to issue charges of racism to damage the parties attempting to pass the legislation. Opposition to good legislation and your simpleton argument is contrary to how things really work in Washington. It wasnt about the legislation it was about damaging the other party. For putting partisanship above the country they deserve more blame, not less.

    Second moronic argument---The House has been passing multiple budget bills, Reid is refusing to let them leave his desk for a vote. He wont even let them go into committee.

  7. #797
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    There is no lie. You too can look at the bill and see it wasn't filibustered. Just because Democrats were against it doesn't translate into the bill was filibustered. Republican leadership in the Senate wouldn't even put it to a full vote. Maybe had they, THEN Democrats would have filibustered it. But it never came to that.

    Republicans dropped the ball.
    Wrong: Dem language in committee--we not only will oppose you on this, we will paint you as racists if you try to bring it to a vote. And they had the entire Congressional Black Caucus ready to engage in that rhetoric if it came to it.

  8. #798
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    They absolutely get the blame if they intend to vote against and intend to issue charges of racism to damage the parties attempting to pass the legislation. Opposition to good legislation and your simpleton argument is contrary to how things really work in Washington. It wasnt about the legislation it was about damaging the other party. For putting partisanship above the country they deserve more blame, not less.

    Second moronic argument---The House has been passing multiple budget bills, Reid is refusing to let them leave his desk for a vote. He wont even let them go into committee.
    But it didn't pass in the Senate -- your logic dictates that Republicans share in the blame even though they were the minority party and were not in charge of which bills made it to the Senate floor. I don't agree with that, but that's your logic.

  9. #799
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    But it didn't pass in the Senate -- your logic dictates that Republicans share in the blame even though they were the minority party and were not in charge of which bills made it to the Senate floor. I don't agree with that, but that's your logic.
    15 people on a committe. 8 reps, 7 dems. 1 rep against, 7 dems against, 7 reps for. Yet reps are responsible for it not making it to a vote.

    This is your logic. Your flawed, twisted logic.

  10. #800
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Wrong: Dem language in committee--we not only will oppose you on this, we will paint you as racists if you try to bring it to a vote. And they had the entire Congressional Black Caucus ready to engage in that rhetoric if it came to it.
    Nope, not wrong. I showed the bill. It contains the record. There was no filibuster. Period. No amount of demonstration of Democrats being against it is going to magically change the record into one which includes a filibuster.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •