Page 53 of 163 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 1628

Thread: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%[W: 831]

  1. #521
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    I agree, but sadly, the citizens will probably vote in more of the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Unfortunately, the State didn't fire Detroit's elected officials. Those officials, whose political interests may diverge wildly from what's needed to restructure the city's operations and finances, have the potential to do much to undermine a successful turnaround effort.

  2. #522
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Are you saying the auto industry and suppliers moved out of Detroit with the people in the beginning year or two of the recession?
    No. The exodus (relocating and failures) was underway from at least the 1990s. The acceleration in the city's population decline began afterward.

  3. #523
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Putting my name on your straw man posts must make you feel accomplished. If only you'd address what was actually being said and if only you'd ever back up anything you ever said maybe you could be taken seriously.
    Apparently you pay no attention to what you post before hitting send. Cannot tell you how much it concerns me that you don't take me seriously. Most liberals use that same argument when wrong and you do it quite well. Your claim that population growth is the reason for tax revenue increases is typical of someone who doesn't understand tax laws and even basic economics

  4. #524
    Educator
    CaptinSarcastic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Last Seen
    07-18-16 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,199

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    no, I make you look foolish, you will never get the entire field of economists to agree on anything and for every one that predicted success of the stimulus there were those who predicted failure. Those that predicted failure were right on.
    Wow, you are just making stuff up. Show me evidence that 50% of economist that thought the stimulus was a bad idea. (You can't)

    If anything, the biggest disagreement was that that the stimulus was not big enough, and that was the consensus if Obama's economic team that the $800b was at the very low end of an effective stimulus plan, but that was felt to be the best we could get through Congress.

    Accepting the conclusions of 92% of economists is not the point of view of a narrow minded partisan, ignoring the economists because they don't support the opinion you wish to be true is the position of a narrow minded ideologue, ie; a minion.

    Our economy crashed, the stimulus was the airbag, the GOP and Blue Dogs prevented us from getting a better airbag, so we were injured in the crash, but without the stimulus and TARP the crash would have been much worse. You can deny this until you are blue in the face, but you can't support your argument with anything but a fringe of economists.

  5. #525
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,190

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    It's been a bad month for both of us:

  6. #526
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    Wow, you are just making stuff up. Show me evidence that 50% of economist that thought the stimulus was a bad idea. (You can't)

    If anything, the biggest disagreement was that that the stimulus was not big enough, and that was the consensus if Obama's economic team that the $800b was at the very low end of an effective stimulus plan, but that was felt to be the best we could get through Congress.

    Accepting the conclusions of 92% of economists is not the point of view of a narrow minded partisan, ignoring the economists because they don't support the opinion you wish to be true is the position of a narrow minded ideologue, ie; a minion.

    Our economy crashed, the stimulus was the airbag, the GOP and Blue Dogs prevented us from getting a better airbag, so we were injured in the crash, but without the stimulus and TARP the crash would have been much worse. You can deny this until you are blue in the face, but you can't support your argument with anything but a fringe of economists.
    No you cannot show that 50% of the economists said it was a success. I Posted the Wall Street article and the actual data from non partisan sites like bea.gov, bls.gov, and the Treasury. Where does your data come from? Only a true ideologue could look at the economic results today and say the stimulus was a success but the results make you look foolish

    The Stimulus is what Obama wanted and proposed, but then nothing is ever big enough for someone who wants a massive central govt and dependenct. I suggest you start thinking with your brain instead of only with your heart.

    Our economy was coming out of recession and if it cashed at all it was before Obama took office or had any impact on changing things. What he did was change things for the worse as the results today show.

    Your opinion noted, you have no idea what would have happened had there been no stimulus but keep spouting the talking points.
    Last edited by Conservative; 04-07-13 at 02:15 PM.

  7. #527
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,736

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    So Gimmie, if we cant cut expenditures after a war is over and we dont need to spend that money, when in the world are we supposed to cut spending?

    You cant just keep increasing spending over and over when there is debt involved...or are you saying you can?

    More exacting question, when can government spending be reduced? Why label it as austerity? Why not call it unsustainable spending? Because we cannot sustain it, you know.

    These are tough questions but you seem to want to frame this debate as austerity bad dehhhhrrr. Ever increasing spending after hitting 23% or greater of GDP is just a fools errand of putting the debt on the backs of the next generation. So when do you slow it down, when do you decrease it? When you do even try to reach a budget that doesnt keep going into the red?

  8. #528
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptinSarcastic View Post
    There is more than one kind of welfare, and "your voting bloc" seems to avidly support the worst kind of wealthy, giving free money to those that don't need it but have the political clout to get it anyway. We spend 50% more on corporate welfare than we do on programs fro the needy.
    I support sensible welfare support systems, and contrary to what most conservatives believe, almost all welfare is administered by the states and almost all welfare is temporary. The main variations being Veterans benefits (which are included in welfare numbers, but I would hardly consider them handouts, and permanent disability claims).
    Especially if they supported Democratic campaigns, a la Obama. He's been handing out goodies to all his corporate buddies since he took office.

  9. #529
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    Especially if they supported Democratic campaigns, a la Obama. He's been handing out goodies to all his corporate buddies since he took office.
    Obama is tranforming America into something most Americans never understood but are seeing now, a European socialist economy with cradle to grave coverage funded by printing, borrowing, and taxing producers generating high unemployment, high taxpayer assistance, high debt, and low economic growth. Wonder what it is about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty that allows this kind of economic performance?

  10. #530
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Obama is tranforming America into something most Americans never understood but are seeing now, a European socialist economy with cradle to grave coverage funded by printing, borrowing, and taxing producers generating high unemployment, high taxpayer assistance, high debt, and low economic growth. Wonder what it is about liberalism that creates this kind of loyalty that allows this kind of economic performance?
    Free stuff without work is kewl to the lowest common denominator, and we numerators are become rarer by the minute.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •