Page 51 of 163 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 1628

Thread: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%[W: 831]

  1. #501
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    All of your points have to do with bad government decisions, which are the basis for my arguments on this thread....private industry doing a better job than the government can. If your point is that tax cuts aren't the sole solution for our problems, I agree. My initial statement on this thread regarding taxes included Gov. Snyder's cuts in income tax deductions and credits as well, like the cut in the EITC, which helps to ween people off of government aid to learn to be strong on their own. I think a lot of our high unemployment is due to people on welfare, almost endless unemployment, disability, and other government programs. If we didn't have these programs, I guarantee you our unemployment numbers would be much lower.
    Three points:

    1. Bad policy clearly contributed to Detroit's situation, but bad policy alone is not responsible.
    2. My point on Michigan's tax relief is that it is difficult to say that it is the reason for Michigan's performance. At this point in time, I do believe it made a contribution, though a modest one given firms' cost structures, but even that is subject to a degree of uncertainty.
    3. In Michigan and elsewhere, an area in need of tax policy reform entails the transition from public assistance to work. One has to be careful that the effective marginal rates during that transition are not so high that they create a disincentive to make the shift.

  2. #502
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    In general, tax revenue = tax base * tax rates

    Hence, tax revenue can increase when rates are cut if the tax base expands more than tax rates are cut. Hypothetical example for illustrative purposes:

    A society has a tax base (income) of $1,000 and an effective tax rate of 25%. Tax revenue amounts to $250.

    The tax rate is cut to 22.5%. Five years later, the tax base has increased to $1,250. Tax revenue now amounts to $281.25.

    Under this illustration, the tax rate was cut 10%. Tax revenue had increased 12.5%.
    This is what I told him less academically. I said tax rates go up because population increases. He ignored that and made several sentences of how liberals are too stupid to understand and offered nothing.

    I also explained to him that this is why tax revenues increased more before reagan's tax cuts than after. Again he retorted with how liberals are too stupid to understand and offered nothing.
    Last edited by poweRob; 04-06-13 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #503
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    This is what I told him less academically. I said tax rates go up because population increases. He ignored that and made several sentences of how liberals are too stupid to understand and offered nothing.

    I also explained to him that this is why tax revenues increased more before reagan's tax cuts than after. Again he retorted with how liberals are too stupid to understand and offered nothing.
    You both need to get together because one of you doesn't understand what the other is saying. Tax revenue goes up when there are more people paying taxes as don stated. Population increases have nothing to do with tax rates, Congressional and Presidential economic policy determines rates not population changes. What you seem to have a problem with and I understand all liberals like you have problem with is that Reagan cut income tax rates three years in a row and govt FIT revenue grew. How do you explain it?

    Population does continue to grow but unemployment is the problem today as unemployed people pay very little in FIT or didn't you know that? how much FIT do you believe the 22 plus million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers are paying today? Can you explain why the labor force increased 3 million people, the employment numbers decreased 3 million and what effect that had on Federal Income tax revenue?

  4. #504
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You both need to get together because one of you doesn't understand what the other is saying. Tax revenue goes up when there are more people paying taxes as don stated. Population increases have nothing to do with tax rates,
    No one said that it did Sir Strawman. We both said population increases means more people are paying taxes genius.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Congressional and Presidential economic policy determines rates not population changes. What you seem to have a problem with and I understand all liberals like you have problem with is that Reagan cut income tax rates three years in a row and govt FIT revenue grew. How do you explain it?
    The population grew and therefore even though their tax rates were lower, there were more people paying taxes. Therefore an increase in revenue... mind you they were lower increases than before his tax cuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Population does continue to grow but unemployment is the problem today as unemployed people pay very little in FIT or didn't you know that? how much FIT do you believe the 22 plus million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers are paying today?
    graph-3.jpg

    Well would ya look at that. Unemployment issues and all... as soon as Bush got booted tax revenues began increasing. Stupid liberals at it again I suppose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Can you explain why the labor force increased 3 million people, the employment numbers decreased 3 million and what effect that had on Federal Income tax revenue?
    Can you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #505
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Detroit's downfall is due to bad policy and corrupt government, imo. Can you think of any other reasons?

    Tax relief gives hope to businesses, and that hope transfers to the desire to take risks again, which often leads to growth and employment. The auto industry rebounding is helping to regain some lost jobs, but the trouble with bailing out poorly run companies is that there's not a real stable future for them unless they totally reform themselves. Did they?.....we'll see. And my point in bringing up Detroit's misfortunes and questioning why they aren't cashing in on the auto industry rebounding is interesting to me because the epicenter of liberal big government policies somehow wasn't a recipient of the windfall that was supposed to be reaped by the big government auto bailout. It seems like a major bragging point on the left that Obama saved the auto industry, but Detroit just got assigned an emergency manager.


    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    Three points:

    1. Bad policy clearly contributed to Detroit's situation, but bad policy alone is not responsible.
    2. My point on Michigan's tax relief is that it is difficult to say that it is the reason for Michigan's performance. At this point in time, I do believe it made a contribution, though a modest one given firms' cost structures, but even that is subject to a degree of uncertainty.
    3. In Michigan and elsewhere, an area in need of tax policy reform entails the transition from public assistance to work. One has to be careful that the effective marginal rates during that transition are not so high that they create a disincentive to make the shift.

  6. #506
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You both need to get together because one of you doesn't understand what the other is saying. Tax revenue goes up when there are more people paying taxes as don stated. Population increases have nothing to do with tax rates,
    No one said that it did Sir Strawman. We both said population increases means more people are paying taxes genius.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Congressional and Presidential economic policy determines rates not population changes. What you seem to have a problem with and I understand all liberals like you have problem with is that Reagan cut income tax rates three years in a row and govt FIT revenue grew. How do you explain it?
    The population grew and therefore even though their tax rates were lower, there were more people paying taxes. Therefore an increase in revenue... mind you they were lower increases than before his tax cuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Population does continue to grow but unemployment is the problem today as unemployed people pay very little in FIT or didn't you know that? how much FIT do you believe the 22 plus million unemployed/under employed/discouraged workers are paying today?
    graph-3.jpg

    Well would ya look at that. Enemployment issues and all... as soon as Bush got booted tax revenues began increasing. Stupid liberals at it again I suppose. Looks like you're bitching up the wrong tree again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative
    Can you explain why the labor force increased 3 million people, the employment numbers decreased 3 million and what effect that had on Federal Income tax revenue?
    Can you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  7. #507
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    poweRob;1061662053]No one said that it did Sir Strawman. We both said population increases means more people are paying taxes genius.
    Wrong, genius, we have more people today with less paying taxes. Population only matters if it is working population.

    The population grew and therefore even though their tax rates were lower, there were more people paying taxes. Therefore an increase in revenue... mind you they were lower increases than before his tax cuts
    .

    Wrong, population doesn't equate to employment as evidenced by the situation today. We have a labor force that is three million more than when the recession began and employment 3 million less which again shows you have no idea what you are talking about



    Well would ya look at that. Unemployment issues and all... as soon as Bush got booted tax revenues began increasing. Stupid liberals at it again I suppose.
    Really, Bush only was President in 2008? How was there record tax revenue in 2007? It really is a shame that far too many have been brainwashed by a failed ideology called liberalism



    Can you?
    Obviously it destroys your opinion that population growth means higher tax revenue. Working population growth means higher tax revenue

  8. #508
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Detroit's downfall is due to bad policy and corrupt government, imo. Can you think of any other reasons?
    In a business landscape marked by a lack of industry diversity, the auto manufacturers made choices ranging from contracts to destructive mergers that led to rigidities, enormous waste, and decline. That rippled through to suppliers and others doing business with them and had an adverse economic impact. In turn, that contributed to the socioeconomic decay and associated problems that helped drive the unprecedented population decline. Today, thanks to restructuring, the auto manufacturers have regained competitiveness. However, they are not as Detroit-centric as they were in the past, so the benefits are much smaller than they would otherwise have been.

  9. #509
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Wrong, genius, we have more people today with less paying taxes. Population only matters if it is working population.

    .

    Wrong, population doesn't equate to employment as evidenced by the situation today. We have a labor force that is three million more than when the recession began and employment 3 million less which again shows you have no idea what you are talking about





    Really, Bush only was President in 2008? How was there record tax revenue in 2007? It really is a shame that far too many have been brainwashed by a failed ideology called liberalism





    Obviously it destroys your opinion that population growth means higher tax revenue. Working population growth means higher tax revenue
    Putting my name on your straw man posts must make you feel accomplished. If only you'd address what was actually being said and if only you'd ever back up anything you ever said maybe you could be taken seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  10. #510
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    ...but Detroit just got assigned an emergency manager.
    Unfortunately, the State didn't fire Detroit's elected officials. Those officials, whose political interests may diverge wildly from what's needed to restructure the city's operations and finances, have the potential to do much to undermine a successful turnaround effort.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •