Page 46 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 1628

Thread: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%[W: 831]

  1. #451
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So until we reach the unattainable goal of "full employment", we should pay absolutely zero attention to the deficit and spend like madmen?
    But that is just it, we are not "spending like mad" (that is unless you think deficit=spending) and cutting back on govt spending in a time of lowered overall spending causes a worse outcome.

    You guys complain about the horrible spending of the EU, but they have gone full on with austerity, and look at their results.

    We still have not hired on the millions who were fired from local govt cutbacks (the BIGGEST sector of job losses post 2007) so we have had a lowered level of austerity for going on 6 years.....and look at our very slow recovery.


    But lets double down and see what happens. Do you want to make a bet on how this will turn out?

    PS...you did notice that I had "full" in quotes, most economists recognize that @ 4% UE is "full".
    Don't be like what you were trying to be.
    Last edited by Gimmesometruth; 04-06-13 at 03:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #452
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,583

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Who cares what the deficit would be if all discretionary spending was zero, the point is that revenue has not rebounded......becuse the economy has not rebounded......be cause we are nowhere near "full" employment. Until employment has rebounded, focusing on deficits is a losing game. Cutting govt spending in a time of lowered spending overall leads to MUCH SLOWER REBOUND.

    We see this basic macro effect here, we see it even more so in the EU.
    Wait until PPACA kicks in and then repeat your wish for a "rebound" in employment.

    http://www.nfib.com/LinkClick.aspx?f...%3D&tabid=1083

    Fed Warns That ObamaCare Will Negatively Impact Hiring - Hit & Run : Reason.com

    Beige Book Says Obamacare Is Costing Jobs and Sales

    ISSA: Job creators brace for Obamacare impact - Washington Times
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #453
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You have always had this quirk in thinking that associating Bush's last year with Obama somehow makes your argument better, when in fact it shows just how dishonest your arguments always are. Hint, Obama wasn't the POTUS until Jan of 2009, so why you would even include "Dec 2007" data when talking about him is just so WEIRD.

    Again, you just won't face up to the fact that you are getting EXACTLY what you want.......and you still are not happy. I don't understand why you are not jumping for joy.
    You seem to not understand economic results at all and therein lies your downfall. What you fail to understand is that Obama ran on the claim that he had solutions to handle the economic problems he claims he inherited and yet as of today the economic results aren't anywhere near what they were when we went into recession under a Democrat controlled Congress of which Obama was part of. He made a lot of predictions that haven't come true and in fact haven't improved the economy at all.

    Apparently you want to base the entire Bush Presidency on his last year in office and ignore the totality of it. You see you pick and choose results you want while ignoring the end result. You won't face up to the fact that you were sold a bill of goods with Obama, supported him twice and just cannot admit he made a fool out of you and has been a failure.

    You are right though I am getting exactly what I want which was to tell you "see, I told you so"

  4. #454
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,572

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    But that is just it, we are not "spending like mad" (that is unless you think deficit=spending) and cutting back on govt spending in a time of lowered overall spending causes a worse outcome.

    You guys complain about the horrible spending of the EU, but they have gone full on with austerity, and look at their results.

    We still have not hired on the millions who were fired from local govt cutbacks (the BIGGEST sector of job losses post 2007) so we have had a lowered level of austerity for going on 6 years.....and look at our very slow recovery.


    But lets double down and see what happens. Do you want to make a bet on how this will turn out?
    You're still making the argument that we shouldn't be worried about how much our government spends. Fact is, they are spending drastically more than their income, and that is a problem.

    Austerity is a bad idea because it's like forcing a heroine addict to go cold-turkey. You'll likely end up doing even more damage. Likewise, it's not smart to give a heroine addict a higher dose of heroine to try to fix the problem. You have to slowly ween the addict off. We can't just cut spending immediately, and adding revenue will change nothing. We have to slowly reduce our spending so as to not shock the economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #455
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,268

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    But that is just it, we are not "spending like mad" (that is unless you think deficit=spending) and cutting back on govt spending in a time of lowered overall spending causes a worse outcome.

    You guys complain about the horrible spending of the EU, but they have gone full on with austerity, and look at their results.

    We still have not hired on the millions who were fired from local govt cutbacks (the BIGGEST sector of job losses post 2007) so we have had a lowered level of austerity for going on 6 years.....and look at our very slow recovery.


    But lets double down and see what happens. Do you want to make a bet on how this will turn out?
    After Obama telling you how great Europe was you still don't get it. The economies of Europe and the U.S. are entirely different. The European economy is based upon massive govt. spending and entitlements creating cradle to grave coverage. When you cut back spending there you create the disaster we are seeing there now. The U.S. economy was based upon the private sector so cutting back govt. spending actually makes more money available to the private sector for investment and growth thus job creation. Cutting govt. spending in the U.S. isn't nearly the disaster as it is in Europe because Europe's economy has always been based upon govt. spending.

  6. #456
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Wait until PPACA kicks in and then repeat your wish for a "rebound" in employment.
    I'll take your shift in topic to be your concession.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #457
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You're still making the argument that we shouldn't be worried about how much our government spends. Fact is, they are spending drastically more than their income, and that is a problem.
    It is not a short term problem.

    Austerity is a bad idea because it's like forcing a heroine addict to go cold-turkey. You'll likely end up doing even more damage. Likewise, it's not smart to give a heroine addict a higher dose of heroine to try to fix the problem. You have to slowly ween the addict off. We can't just cut spending immediately, and adding revenue will change nothing. We have to slowly reduce our spending so as to not shock the economy.
    Addicts.....home economies....I'm not going to get into bad analogy competition. If you can't discuss the real things going on, this is pointless.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  8. #458
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    What you said was very contradictory, as even you dispute what you said. First you said that sequestration is ALREADY "having consequences" and then you said "Again, and I've repeated this many times, presidents and our government doesn't control the economy." So my point, that the gov't is, in fact, killing private jobs, by denying a permit to proceed on the XL pipeline stands.
    Effect is not control. These are government jobs. Not private sector jobs. Money from government programs. But losing those consumers will also effect hiring in the private sector. There may well be reason to shrink these, but let's not pretend there is NO effect.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #459
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Who cares what the deficit would be if all discretionary spending was zero, the point is that revenue has not rebounded......becuse the economy has not rebounded......be cause we are nowhere near "full" employment. Until employment has rebounded, focusing on deficits is a losing game. Cutting govt spending in a time of lowered spending overall leads to MUCH SLOWER REBOUND.

    We see this basic macro effect here, we see it even more so in the EU.
    Sorry, but it's the opposite.

    Great Depression - massive increase in government spending for year after year. Result? It took 13 years and a world war to get unemployment back down to pre-crash levels.

    1920/21 Depression - spending cut in half, tax rates cut. Result? Economy was back to normal within 3 1/2 years AND the national debt went down.

    There has been, on average, a recession every 6 years since America came into being; almost all of them resolved themselves without big government help.


    All government spending does is skew the economy to become dependent on government handouts.

    That might work for a socialist/communist economy (for a while). But a free market-based economy - it does not work so well.


    Recessions are about price adjustments. Usually, from prices that have gone too high and need to be lower to keep the 'free market' balance.

    They are healthy, necessary things for an economy.

    If the government had just stepped back and let market forces do their thing in '07+ - unemployment (imo) would be way below what it is now, the DOW would probably be far higher then today, the housing market would be stronger and there would be a lot less people on food stamps.


    Massive government stimulus does not work for a free market-based economy except in the extreme short term (like weeks/months).

    Over years, it spells virtual stagnation...which is what America has now.
    Last edited by DA60; 04-06-13 at 03:40 PM.

  10. #460
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Fine - then please show me a major increase in expenditures or ANY major policy the Fed has done since Obama took over that he has strongly disapproved of?
    Spending more money in the afghan serge. Bailing out GM, Walstreet and the banks. Keeping the Bush tax cuts as long as he.

    Policy: surge, drone strikes, rendition, not properly doing health care reform, not being able to get past GOP fear mongering and close Gitmo.

    That's a start.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •