Page 122 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1628

Thread: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%[W: 831]

  1. #1211
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,753
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    But your wrong, the public sector grew under President Bush. Decreasing income tax revenue resulting from the recession caused loss of public sector jobs. That's about 700K worth which is probably worth a decrease percentage point in the UE rate.
    Yes, the public sector grew under GWB. There was enough growth and employment to support it. Under BHO that has not been the case.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  2. #1212
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Donc View Post
    Were not discussing my personal finances. This thread is titled U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6% .We should keep close to that by at least a degree or two.
    Then let's stick to the topic, 500,000 people dropped out of the labor force last month, 100,000 the month before. There are 143 million employed Americans today out of a labor force of 155 million that has increased only 1.1 million in four years. That says a lot about the incentive Obama has created not to work or even seek employment.

  3. #1213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Then let's stick to the topic, 500,000 people dropped out of the labor force last month, 100,000 the month before. There are 143 million employed Americans today out of a labor force of 155 million that has increased only 1.1 million in four years. That says a lot about the incentive Obama has created not to work or even seek employment.
    As I stated before - this is important.

    People are being swayed into thinking the unemployment situation is improving because the U-3 rate is dropping.

    But it is incredibly deceptive as the ONLY reason it is dropping is because people are leaving the work force because they have either given up, prematurely retired or no longer count in U-3 statistics.

    All the gov't./Fed have done is force people to leave the work force.

    Take the participation rate from the day Obama took over and the U-3 rate is over 10%.

    Whatever the government/Fed are doing is just making the situation worse and they are masking it with skewed statistics (like the skewed CPI numbers).
    Last edited by DA60; 04-15-13 at 12:33 AM.

  4. #1214
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Then let's stick to the topic, 500,000 people dropped out of the labor force last month, 100,000 the month before. There are 143 million employed Americans today out of a labor force of 155 million that has increased only 1.1 million in four years. That says a lot about the incentive Obama has created not to work or even seek employment.
    What was the unemployment rate when BO was sworn in and what is it now?How many jobs were being lost per month as apposed to now?

  5. #1215
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    2,800

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    As I stated before - this is important.

    People are being swayed into thinking the unemployment situation is improving because the U-3 rate is dropping.

    But it is incredibly deceptive as the ONLY reason it is dropping is because people are leaving the work force because they have either given up, prematurely retired or no longer count in U-3 statistics.

    All the gov't./Fed have done is force people to leave the work force.
    Where is the proof for the bolded? How do you know it's not attributed boom retiring or the increase of the prominence of college-both of which are true
    Men do what they have to when they want to, Great men do what they have to, even when they don't want to.

  6. #1216
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Your opinion noted as you continue to buy what the media tells you.
    What media do I watch that gave me that opinion?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    I am waiting for exactly what President Bush did to hurt you or your family?
    Ummm, exectly what part of, "few presidents have ****ed this nation as royally as he did," do you not understand?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    You seem to believe that Bush had all that power to get us into this mess but Obama doesn't have the power to get us out of that mess.
    Wait a second, Con -- hold up!!

    What happened to YOUR CLAIM:


    "As a Leader the numbers are his responsibility and he cannot delegate that responsibility."

    I thought you said leaders are responsible for their numbers? So are you saying Bush is exempt from you rule or are you saying Bush wasn't a good leader?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Obama was in the Senate that helped create the mess.
    So you equate the responsibility between one Senator of the minorty party with the president whose party conrolled both chambers of the Congress, huh? Sure says a lot about your worldview.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Obama said he had the solutions to the problems but like so many you ignore the Obama results and still blame them on Bush
    And things have noticably improved from when Obama took over. Gone are the months where unemployment swelled by 700,000 or more. Gone are the days of negative 3 percent or more GDP. Gone is Bush's Great Recession.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    You think Bush is destroying the consumer confidence today?
    Nice argument. It reveals you don't even realize that consumer confidence is higher today than it was when Bush left office.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    you think Bush is destroying the incentive of small business today?
    Yet another bull**** argument since small business are no longer being "destroyed."

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    You think Bush proposed penalizing wealth creation?
    Apparently, you're unaware that we were under Bush's tax code until just a few months ago.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    You think the way to prosperity is to tax the producers in this country?
    Are you new to this country? The wealthy have always been the ones to contribute the most in taxes. This is nothing new (except to you, apparently).

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    It is obvious to me that you never managed anything in your life and have no concept of leadership. Your constant whining about Bush says a lot about you just like your ignoring the Obama results does the same thing.
    You owe me a new irony meter.

  7. #1217
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    All paper losses, perpetuated by greed from individuals including many in Congress.
    No, total loss, as in values of homes, retirement accounts, etc....

    To blame the loss on Bush is typical but let's say it is all Bush's fault, where is the blame on Obama for the poor recovery and economic policies that have done nothing but add to the debt?
    In one hand you want to blame Obama for employment numbers. On the other hand, you wish to absolve Bush II for the great loss of net wealth since the Great Depression. I am not blaming Bush for anything, i was simply stating a fact.

    How did the recession of 07-09 affect you and your family? You survived it, I survived it so are we that much smarter than anyone else? The fact is the low interest rates, low inflation saved a lot of people who didn't have that luxury in the 81-82 recession that affected everyone.
    If i bought a home with an interest rate of 8.6% 30 years fixed in 1977, the fact that interest rates went to 17.6% in 1982 would not have impacted me. However, the fact that my net worth decreased by 30% in a matter of months did!!! Notice how net wealth did not decline at all during the Reagan recession.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #1218
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    If either had been able to match GWB's average unemployment rate of 5.3% both would have better reputations.
    Too bad, Romney could not live up to President Obama's reputation.

    ...
    This past Friday, like the first Friday of every month, saw the release of the latest jobs numbers. Within minutes of the release, analysts left, right, and center began pointing nervously at August's decline in labor force participation-the fraction of adults who are working or looking for a job. Several hundred thousand Americans became demoralized and gave up looking for work, said the left. Labor force dropout concealed an unemployment rate exceeding 11% at the close of Obama's first term, said the right. Labor force participation was at its lowest since 1981, and "at an all-time low" among men.


    Hold the phone. The labor force participation rate can decline for reasons that should concern us, as when increasing numbers of the unemployed give up looking because of a terrible labor market. That is what most observers have in mind when they see labor force participation falling. But it can also decline for reasons that are either benign or that should cheer us. For instance, as we have grown richer over time, the duration of our working years has shrunk. The typical worker retired at 70 sixty years ago; today he retires at 63. That's a decline in labor force participation.


    In fact, the small August drop in labor force participation-which at any rate is not statistically reliable and may be overturned when the final numbers come in next month-almost surely did not reflect rising discouragement among job-seekers. This is readily seen by comparing the so-called "U4" jobless rate-which combines the unemployed and "discouraged workers"-to the official "U3" unemployment rate. Both fell by 0.2 percentage points between July and August. If the fall in labor force participation had been about hopelessly unemployed people, the change in the U4 rate would have looked worse than the U3 change.

    Read more RealClearMarkets - Misunderstanding Declines In Labor Force Participation


  9. #1219
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Yes, the public sector grew under GWB. There was enough growth and employment to support it. Under BHO that has not been the case.
    Shall we just race too the bottom?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  10. #1220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: U.S. Adds Only 88,000 Jobs; Jobless Rate Falls to 7.6%

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Then let's stick to the topic, 500,000 people dropped out of the labor force last month, 100,000 the month before. There are 143 million employed Americans today out of a labor force of 155 million that has increased only 1.1 million in four years. That says a lot about the incentive Obama has created not to work or even seek employment.
    Yes, the labor force is in constant flux. Every couple of months it shifts from gains to loses; and then back again. Is it your intention to highlight this everytime it's negative while ignoring it when it's positive?

    lf.jpg

    Your point is ... ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •