Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 102

Thread: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

  1. #21
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    It is at this time we should be considering the cost and weight of one, expertly fired .50 round, over millions of .223 rounds...


    Assassination IS a public service, in many cases.
    I don't trust any of the NK military leadership. Their status as a nuclear power needs to be neutralized at a minimum.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  2. #22
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I didn't suggest the citizens of N. Korea. I'm talking about groups of us from all over. We're a global society. It's time governments recognize that. Is it OK to have vigilantism on an international scale? Probably not...but it certainly made me smile when I heard about the Anonymous attack on the news. Imagine 4 billion people, pissed off at you for being a crap dictator.


    I don't know. I just think it's lazy of us all to sit back and expect our governments to handle everything.
    ah ok my apologies.

    The only problem with that is we still have far too many differences, we would spend days just trying to agree on a path of action.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #23
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    ah ok my apologies.

    The only problem with that is we still have far too many differences, we would spend days just trying to agree on a path of action.
    Don't need to be united on action plans. Again, one small group of people, Anonymous, has already made a move. No rule stating that, say, some like minded folks from France, or Italy, can't do their own thing, too.

    Just as many problems that rout, likely. Simplest solution is information. There is a reason the net is so carefully guarded over there. Wonder what it would take to pierce that veil?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  4. #24
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,967

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    You don't think a US made 50 cal to the head would send a message?
    If we take out NK's leader he will just be replaced by someone else. Someone with that big of an ego always has a contigency plan upon their own death. Plus, it would really cause tension with China.

    If that strategy worked we would have done it with Saddam. Direct assassinations in general make us look bad, which is why the CIA tends to manipulate that country's citizens from an underground level into wanting to do it themselves. That's hard to do in NK where the average person has such limited means. AFAIK there are barely any firearms in the whole country that non-soldiers have access to, let alone underground training to carry out an assassination.

    Nowadays, it looks better to form a coalition and invade under manufactured consent. Then when you eventually take out the leader it just makes it seem par for the course.

    The lynch pin to this whole problem is China. They are using NK's bad behavior to shield themselves from negative press. If they get to chastise another country's behavior then it makes them look good. Also, NK is the guard dog at the gate to China, which is why a nutso regime was installed there in the first place. Korean reunification with an American alliance would end up putting U.S. bases right at China's doorstep.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    What was the point of a drone program if we are not going to use it to take out this guy and his closest friends? It a perfect application for them, accuracy without a lot of colateral damage. I don't think that is the problem at all. I don't think anyone wants to take responsibilty for the people afterward.

  6. #26
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    What was the point of a drone program if we are not going to use it to take out this guy and his closest friends? It a perfect application for them, accuracy without a lot of colateral damage. I don't think that is the problem at all. I don't think anyone wants to take responsibilty for the people afterward.
    or possibly we would like an unexpected live fire event to test missile intercept capabilities...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    I would like to straighten out of few details which many posters here have misconceptions of:
    1) A war on the Hanbando is not a viable option. Condo serving that the population in the Hanbando amounts to more than 75 million people, a war would have a devastating impact. South Korea is an important link in the world economy, and as American duly noted, the devastation of South Korea will affect the world markets immensely, especially considering that we are one of the top three countries that both Japan and China trades with most.
    2) Assassination is simply another unthinkable action. Taking out the entire NK leadership is close to impossible, and penetrating the country with the right equipment is another huge obstacle. Assuming that one does get through, how will one get close enough to Kim-Jong-Un to kill him? There's also a heavy assumption that destroying the elite of NK will result in its collapse and unification. A scenario more plausible is that the country will fall into chaos from the political infighting, and South Korea will be devastated from NK artillery, and China will suffer from millions of refugees crossing its border.
    3) North Korea is not some military juggernaut that has an incredible military. It's defense spending, while enormous compared to its GDP, amounts to only 3 billion, which is about 1/10 of ours alone. It's 1 million strong military is starving to death in peacetime, and most of its equipment date from the Cold War and even from WWII. I doubt that NK also has a reliable delivery system to use its nukes. No, the biggest threat from NK is its hundreds of thousands of artillery that is aimed at Kyeonggi-do, the economic heartland that is responsible for about half of the South's economy and 40% if it's population. That's their ace in the hole and the biggest threat, not their nukes or supposedly strong military.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  8. #28
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,302

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Proud South Korean View Post
    I would like to
    straighten out of few details which many posters here have misconceptions of:
    1) A war on the Hanbando is not a viable option. Condo serving that the population in the Hanbando amounts to more than 75 million people, a war would have a devastating impact. South Korea is an important link in the world economy, and as American duly noted, the devastation of South Korea will affect the world markets immensely, especially considering that we are one of the top three countries that both Japan and China trades with most.
    2) Assassination is simply another unthinkable action. Taking out the entire NK leadership is close to impossible, and penetrating the country with the right equipment is another huge obstacle. Assuming that one does get through, how will one get close enough to Kim-Jong-Un to kill him? There's also a heavy assumption that destroying the elite of NK will result in its collapse and unification. A scenario more plausible is that the country will fall into chaos from the political infighting, and South Korea will be devastated from NK artillery, and China will suffer from millions of refugees crossing its border.
    3) North Korea is not some military juggernaut that has an incredible military. It's defense spending, while enormous compared to its GDP, amounts to only 3 billion, which is about 1/10 of ours alone. It's 1 million strong military is starving to death in peacetime, and most of its equipment date from the Cold War and even from WWII. I doubt that NK also has a reliable delivery system to use its nukes. No, the biggest threat from NK is its hundreds of thousands of artillery that is aimed at Kyeonggi-do, the economic heartland that is responsible for about half of the South's economy and 40% if it's population. That's their ace in the hole and the biggest threat, not their nukes or supposedly strong military.
    I was aware of their massive build-up of artillery but we have to at least assume that they have the means to deliver a nuke and take precautions that would nuetralize any attempt of a detonation on yours, Japans or our soil.

    I was curious if the NKoreans had moved into thermal fusion weapons or are they armed with fission weapons.

    With the belicose threats I have a hard time seeing how he will walk back his rhetoric and still save face among his people.

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    I was aware of their massive build-up of artillery but we have to at least assume that they have the means to deliver a nuke and take precautions that would nuetralize any attempt of a detonation on yours, Japans or our soil.

    I was curious if the NKoreans had moved into thermal fusion weapons or are they armed with fission weapons.

    With the belicose threats I have a hard time seeing how he will walk back his rhetoric and still save face among his people.
    I am no expert on nuclear weapons, but I'm guessing that they can only deliver by cruise missiles (which can be intercepted to my knowledge) instead of ballistics.
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  10. #30
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,302

    Re: SKorea: North Korea moved missile to east coast

    There is also the issue of a massive influx of refugees to the human toll of any real NKorean aggresion.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •