Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 388

Thread: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

  1. #41
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,158

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    typical. But thanks for demonstrating what you really think about law abiding citizens owning guns. Those planning on killing kids-Like Lanza-premeditate their crimes and those wanting bans hope for more such massacres
    So gun owners suddenly switch to "mad" setting when they run amok, spraying bullets into their surroundings. Got you.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Half of the people at my parents church conceal carry, and they all seem to enjoy the sense of security. When you use ridiculous hyperbole like "passing out guns at the door", it just makes you look lazy and desperate.
    Oh, but you don't want the other guy having a gun because then you don't get to pretend you are powerful. If they are a right then they should be free for everyone.

  3. #43
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,065

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Some of us have actually been in real situations and know personally wtf we're talking about. You apparently just play video-games.
    I love the witty retorts you often get on DP. When you get a meaningless, unthoughtful retort that contributes nothing to the dialogue it makes us really appreciate the cleaver. Maybe there is a witty poster somewhere on this thread.

    I'm sorry, unless you are a teacher in a classroom with but novice gun handling experience involved in a school shooting you have no more basis of understanding of "wtf your are talking about" than I. So stick to adult debate.

  4. #44
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    I definitely think all schools should have at least one person armed, but I have mixed feelings about whether teachers should be able to carry in class. What do you think?
    I don't think it's a good idea myself. One person. If an alarm was sounded that there was trouble, one guy is going to go "charging into the mix". They don't even do that in law enforcement. One person. With a target on his back. One person. Who, when the chips were down, if he isn't scared to death to get involved, he most assuredly should be. Would that person go charging in??

    No. False sense of security. Waste of resources. For that one person's couple-year salary and benefits, a school could beef up their alarm systems, install wired alarms to the police department, put locks on classroom doors and, with the help of local law enforcement, come up with a first-alert system that might make a difference.

    That and allowing personnel to carry weapons where it's legal to do so is probably the best we can do.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #45
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    If Churches were at risk, I wouldn't have any problem with it what-so-ever.
    How do you know when anything is at risk?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #46
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    I don't think its a stretch to claim that NYPD officers, in all probability, will have better arms training than almost any teacher packing heat:

    NYPD confirms: All bystanders in Empire State attack hit by police bullets - U.S. News

    http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/30/opinion/frum-guns-safer

    So your argument is that clearly the state is incompetent, and therefore we should all depend on the state.....


    ...yeah, that's a winner, right there.

  7. #47
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    So your argument is that clearly the state is incompetent, and therefore we should all depend on the state.....


    ...yeah, that's a winner, right there.
    I don't think that is remotely his argument.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #48
    Professor
    Chatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Britain
    Last Seen
    07-14-14 @ 06:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,742

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    I definitely think all schools should have at least one person armed, but I have mixed feelings about whether teachers should be able to carry in class. What do you think?
    I don't think the NRA's proposals are anything new in terms of increased security at schools, indeed haven't cities such as New York had a New York City Police Department School Safety Division which is in in essence a school police force for New York City Department of Education schools. Perhaps the arming of such Police Officers based in Schools would be a sensible step given the current political climate, and it should also be noted that many Univesities in the US already have their own police forces.

    New York City Police Department School Safety Division - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    NYPD - School Safety Agent Application

    Last edited by Chatter; 04-03-13 at 11:04 AM.

  9. #49
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Doesn't anyone question why we as a nation is so afraid of being attacked personally that we have to arm ourselves to the teeth at all times? Even in school and church? I'd understand it if the person carrying was attacked before, but if not... why the fear?
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  10. #50
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: NRA unveils plan for armed guards in schools it says 'will save lives'

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't think that is remotely his argument.
    then he needs to better explain himself. He is clear that we should not depend upon armed individuals, but rather depend upon armed police officers. When asked to defend his claim that armed individuals would fire into crowds of people, the only evidence he was able to come up with was an example of..... police officers doing so. His evidence belies his arguments.

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •