Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    You need a refresher course in 20th century history.
    I disagree. In fact, I believe that Wilson getting the US involved in WWI (thus ending US Isolationism) was one of the worst decisions the US has made in its history.

  2. #32
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    That's fine for the rest of the world. There is no reason for the United States to be part of this organization. Just as there is no reason for us to have ANY contact with any other nation.
    Which is very ironic since the good ol' USofA was key to the foundation of the UN, without the US there would be no UN.

  3. #33
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    The NRA and gun owners are concerned with the sloppy way this particular piece of................................................ ............legislation is written. It leaves things too open to interpretation, too many loopholes, too many ambiguious phrases.

    Quite frankly in my opinion, the UN can go to hell.
    Could you please cite one? Actually, the US has been instrumental in tightening up some of the previously ambiguous language of the proposed treaty.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #34
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I disagree. In fact, I believe that Wilson getting the US involved in WWI (thus ending US Isolationism) was one of the worst decisions the US has made in its history.
    The U.S. has not been isolationist through its history. It had been involved in the Mediterranean, elsewhere in the Americas and in the Western Pacific far before Wilson entered the White House.

    And isolationism in the modern world is simply not an option.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #35
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,123

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Could you please cite one? Actually, the US has been instrumental in tightening up some of the previously ambiguous language of the proposed treaty.
    Truth be told, right now, no. Not that I won't, I can't. Haven't read the legislation. I just know if Obama wants it, the NRA don't, I'm gonna stick on the side of the good guys. I pay them membership dues for a reason.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I disagree. In fact, I believe that Wilson getting the US involved in WWI (thus ending US Isolationism) was one of the worst decisions the US has made in its history.
    Again a history refresher course-
    We never really were isolationist since the very beginning of our nation. I suppose a lack of service could be a reasonable excuse to not be familiar with the Service Branch's hymns- the Marines have a line in their commemorating one of their and our fledgling nation's first military actions on far off shores... "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli..." in 1801 we fought Barbary Pirates in the then far off Med.

    Once the Industrial Revolution took firm hold in our nation we was up and popping. Our nation grew to be a world leader BEFORE 1917. We needed overseas markets to do so. You forget we kicked in Japan's door in 1853 when Commodore Perry demanding trade and treaties. Or 1898 when we took over the crumbling Spanish Empire in the Pacific.

    Our form of Capitalism demands over seas involvement in order to flourish. Without overseas markets our nation would be at best a New World Regional power. That requires military presence/ action around the world. From the days of President Jefferson to these trying times we have meddled and fought across the globe. The issue and the myth of Isolationism came to a head as the 'Conservatives' split over losing money if England and France defaulted on their war loans and a German win stripped market share away from us now that we had just made it to the top of the Capitalist heap. Throw in a Evangelical President to drag Christianity into democracy- one reason I like to not keep the social conservative drumbeat of 'we were founded with Christian roots/base' going- we had the perfect mix of money grubbing AND a religious fig leaf to cover!

    Citing 'no foreign entanglements' sounded all Founding Father like, howsomeever we already held an overseas empire AND had fought on distant shores by the time Wilson took Office.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    The U.S. has not been isolationist through its history. It had been involved in the Mediterranean, elsewhere in the Americas and in the Western Pacific far before Wilson entered the White House.

    And isolationism in the modern world is simply not an option.
    I didn't see your post, didn't mean to step on your toes!

  8. #38
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Truth be told, right now, no. Not that I won't, I can't. Haven't read the legislation. I just know if Obama wants it, the NRA don't, I'm gonna stick on the side of the good guys. I pay them membership dues for a reason.
    You pay the NRA to think for you?
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  9. #39
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I didn't see your post, didn't mean to step on your toes!
    No worries... you added in more detail than I did...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: UN adopts pact to regulate multibillion-dollar global arms trade

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    And isolationism in the modern world is simply not an option.
    Then this "modern world" has no value, along with the human race that created it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •