Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

  1. #11
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    While I fully support the DP in theory, in practice it is very, very rarely used especially in CO. CO has had over 550 1st degree murder convictions since 1999 yet has placed only 2 perps onto death row out of that total. CO now has 3 inmates on death row (one has been there since 1996); this moron (when convicted) will it make 4. The 8th amendment makes cruel and unusual punishment unconstitutional - statistically the CO DP would certainly make a good case for considering it to be quite unusual. CO will now spend millions on convicting this moron, and much more on appeal(s), when they could just accept a plea and let nature (of prison life) take its course.

    Colorado death penalty law unconstitutional, study contends - The Denver Post

    This CO moron seemed like the poster child for the DP, yet did not even have his case charged as a capital offense:

    Transgender murder, hate crime conviction a first - CNN.com

    A close runner-up (also not charged with DP offense):

    Edward Romero sentenced to life in Alicia Martinez murder, dismemberment - The Denver Post
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 04-01-13 at 04:43 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  2. #12
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect - CNN.com


    Right decision IMO. I'm glad the prosecution is not taking a plea bargain for this case. They seem to have an airtight case against Holmes, so I see no reason they shouldn't go for the death penalty.
    Agreed, but there are a lot of lawyers who will put in a lot of billable hours (payable by the taxpayers) over many years before the case is finally closed. I agree the sensible course is a bullet to the head tomorrow at sunrise.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  3. #13
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Its a stupid decision. What this means is that rather than this case being done and the guy spending the rest of his life in prison, the case will drag on for years costing the tax payers millions of dollars and the end result will likely be the same, because even if the jury returns a death verdict, very few death sentences are ever carried out. This is yet another example of government beauracracy and the criminal justice money machine. A life sentence would serve the interest of justice and would save tax payers MILLIONS.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #14
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Agreed, but there are a lot of lawyers who will put in a lot of billable hours (payable by the taxpayers) over many years before the case is finally closed. I agree the sensible course is a bullet to the head tomorrow at sunrise.
    Blame that on the Constitution. You either follow it or you get rid of it. The way our systems is set up, if you wanna seek death, it is going to cost you. The death penalty is a very expensive luxury.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    While I fully support the DP in theory, in practice it is very, very rarely used especially in CO. CO has had over 550 1st degree murder convictions since 1999 yet has placed only 2 perps onto death row out of that total. CO now has 3 inmates on death row (one has been there since 1996); this moron (when convicted) will it make 4. The 8th amendment makes cruel and unusual punishment unconstitutional - statistically the CO DP would certainly make a good case for considering it to be quite unusual. CO will now spend millions on convicting this moron, and much more on appeal(s), when they could just accept a plea and let nature (of prison life) take its course.

    Colorado death penalty law unconstitutional, study contends - The Denver Post

    This CO moron seemed like the poster child for the DP, yet did not even have his case charged as a capital offense:

    Transgender murder, hate crime conviction a first - CNN.com

    A close runner-up (also not charged with DP offense):

    Edward Romero sentenced to life in Alicia Martinez murder, dismemberment - The Denver Post
    You make a great point, but I disagree with the last two links

    The transgender murderer was duped into thinking he was dating woman and flipped out. It was in the heat of the moment and only one person.

    The child murderer should have received the DP, but he was not caught at the scene of the crime like Holmes was, and he plead not guilty by reason of insanity, Holmes offered to plead guilty.

    Basically, I think both cases would have had a much harder time getting the DP than the prosecution will here.

  6. #16
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    I have to disagree for the simple reason that if the man is proven to be mentally incompetent as appears likely, he should not be executed. It's hard for me to square moves to come down harder on those with mental illness as a way to reduce gun violence because they are too unstable to legally handle gun ownership with this.

    If people with mental illness are treated the same as "normal" people in courts, many in society will resist any moves to detain or institutionalize those who would benefit from such detention.

    There was a case here in Toronto where a mentally ill man stole a snow plow, causing a great deal of damage around the city and also ran over a police officer killing him. A jury found him not guilt of first degree murder, which the prosecution pushed for, and he will now be institutionalized, for how long no one now knows. It was a controversial decision but most people respect that the jury made the right decision based on the medical evidence presented at trial. Many feel it is a failure of society at large that this man didn't receive the help he clearly needs before this incident. The kid in the Colorado case seems to scream that the system failed him and failed the community and putting him to death is in no way a deterent or even retribution in such a case.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Blame that on the Constitution. You either follow it or you get rid of it. The way our systems is set up, if you wanna seek death, it is going to cost you. The death penalty is a very expensive luxury.
    Ah yes, the Constitutional right to very expensive lengthy trials

  8. #18
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Blame that on the Constitution. You either follow it or you get rid of it. The way our systems is set up, if you wanna seek death, it is going to cost you. The death penalty is a very expensive luxury.
    Agreed in part. Our legal system has morphed into a game rather than a search for truth and justice, and that is what makes it so expensive.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  9. #19
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    Agreed in part. Our legal system has morphed into a game rather than a search for truth and justice, and that is what makes it so expensive.
    That's the problem, it's not about truth and justice, it's about legal maneuvering and putting off the inevitable for as long as possible. I think that once you're convicted of a capital crime and get your single mandatory appeal, you must be executed within 1 calendar year unless you can produce actual evidence that you are factually innocent of the crime for which you have been convicted. There will be no appeals for any reason other than factual innocence. That will cut down on the cost and the abuse of the system.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #20
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Prosecution pushes death penalty for Colorado theater shooting suspect

    I agree with this decision. I DO have reservations on the use of the death penalty as I believe the standard is too low. However, the standards I hold for the use of the death penalty: 1. heinous crime and 2. absolute certainty of guilt - seem to be met here. I don't accept 'beyond a reasonable doubt' for the use of the death penalty. Doesn't seem to be a problem here.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •