Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 82

Thread: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

  1. #61
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    Does that really do the trick though? I mean, that's pretty much the model we have been using for at least the last decade, and spills keep happening. Without a proper clean up and leak prevention plan, the future damage can never be fixed by an amount of money. For instance, the wetlands in the gulf. Wetlands act as a cushion during hurricanes. They absorb the brunt of the storm, and cause the severity of the storm to decrease. Obviously, this depends on the size of the storm, but the point is the long term effects of the oil that spread into those same wetlands. How do you penalize a company for the future depletion of the wetlands, and the future danger the people of coastal towns will be in because of that depletion?

    I'm not saying I disagree with you, I just think the severity of these mistakes should carry a consequence other then just a monetary value. The oil industry is the most profitable industry in the world, and the US subsidises it on top of that. Companies are paying people theses damages with tax payer dollars, lol. It just doesn't seem like that has the same kind of impact as outright threatening to revoke their permits to drill if they don't get it together.
    Firstly, if you want to talk about destruction of the gulf coast wetlands, you need to speak to the governments of the gulf coast states who have been doing it through coastal development for decades - the destruction caused by Katrina had everything to do with the erosion of the wetlands and nothing to do with big oil.

    Secondly, I wouldn't object to there also being criminal penalties for corporate leaders in such cases if it can be proven that their actions or inactions directly caused the damage. However, in our society, money is usually the only penalty awarded in tort cases - hit them with big enough damages and eventually they will change if it's in their power to do so.

    Finally, pipelines are by far the safest mode of transporting crude to refineries and refined oil to market - bar none. In 2012, there were a total of 54,000 barrels of oil released into the environment through pipeline leaks which, while it sounds like a lot, is a miniscule proportion of the amount of oil flowing throught pipelines in North America every day. But the media pumps it up because of the politics of the Keystone pipeline in the news now. I'm wondering how many people, nationally in the US, heard about the 15,000 barrels of oil spilled in Minnesota a couple of months ago due to a train derailment - not too many, I'll bet - it doesn't fit the media's agenda.

  2. #62
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The oil companies didn't build the train car, either. That's all on the train car manufacturer and the railroad operator; so is the clean up.

    Funny how there wasn't a thread screaming about RR companies having to pay out the ass for spills during derailments. Even now, blame is being vigorously shifted away from the RR company and the rail car manufacturer.
    So the company who hires that railroad company has absolutely no influence or responsibility if that train spills oil all over Minnesota? That's crazy to me. I'm not saying the railroad company gets off scott free, with no responsibility of it's own. I'm saying, everyone involved should be held to a certain degree of responsibility if a train derails and spills a hazardous material.

    The best way I can think of to explain my thought process is compareing the process to the transportation of hazardous material, by commercial truck. The shipper is responsible for complying with packaging and labeling rules. The trucking company is then responsible for complying with specific transportation regulations that ensure a safe transport. Each company is responsible for ensuring the material is transported as safetly as possible, making it everyone's responsibility.

    Those sort of rules, and responsibilities, don't exist in shipping oil via train. Furthermore, the train companies don't provide the shipping containers that transport oil, the oil companies do, so acting like they have zero culpability is just dumb to me. Both parties should take responsibility, and have to maintain a certain standard of safety and preparedness. This is true across the board with it comes to oil production and transportation. The oil companies commission the building of pipeline, and provide the train containers that ship their oil, so yes, they have a level of blame and responsibility when that oil leaks. I'm not sure why it's such a crazy perspective.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  3. #63
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,578

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    So the company who hires that railroad company has absolutely no influence or responsibility if that train spills oil all over Minnesota? That's crazy to me. I'm not saying the railroad company gets off scott free, with no responsibility of it's own. I'm saying, everyone involved should be held to a certain degree of responsibility if a train derails and spills a hazardous material.

    The best way I can think of to explain my thought process is compareing the process to the transportation of hazardous material, by commercial truck. The shipper is responsible for complying with packaging and labeling rules. The trucking company is then responsible for complying with specific transportation regulations that ensure a safe transport. Each company is responsible for ensuring the material is transported as safetly as possible, making it everyone's responsibility.

    If a shipper tells a truck driver to load a piece of equipment a certain way and that piece of equipment falls off the trailer, because it was loaded wrong, or secured improperly per the shippers influence on loading and securement, who takes the blame? The truck driver, or the shipper?

    Those sort of rules, and responsibilities, don't exist in shipping oil via train. Furthermore, the train companies don't provide the shipping containers that transport oil, the oil companies do, so acting like they have zero culpability is just dumb to me. Both parties should take responsibility, and have to maintain a certain standard of safety and preparedness. This is true across the board with it comes to oil production and transportation. The oil companies commission the building of pipeline, and provide the train containers that ship their oil, so yes, they have a level of blame and responsibility when that oil leaks. I'm not sure why it's such a crazy perspective.
    You don't really believe that...do you?

    http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/custome...ies/tank-cars/
    Last edited by apdst; 04-03-13 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #64
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Firstly, if you want to talk about destruction of the gulf coast wetlands, you need to speak to the governments of the gulf coast states who have been doing it through coastal development for decades - the destruction caused by Katrina had everything to do with the erosion of the wetlands and nothing to do with big oil.
    I agree with you that there has been a significant amount of damage to the wetlands by government and industry throughout the gulf, as well as Katrina. However, to think that the oil in the gulf did nothing to the wetlands that are still there, and that it won't have any future impact seem nonsensical to me, based on what I know about the development and sensitivity of the ecology of wetlands.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Secondly, I wouldn't object to there also being criminal penalties for corporate leaders in such cases if it can be proven that their actions or inactions directly caused the damage. However, in our society, money is usually the only penalty awarded in tort cases - hit them with big enough damages and eventually they will change if it's in their power to do so.
    Also, I never said anything about criminal charges. I know some people feel that way, but I am definitely not one of them! I'm talking about a threat to revoke permits to oil companies, unless safety and clean up procedures are updated right away. Paying a fine after the fact is clearly not having the kind of impact required. The threat of having to shut down their operation, even temporarily, is a cost I think the industry would not take so lightly.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Finally, pipelines are by far the safest mode of transporting crude to refineries and refined oil to market - bar none. In 2012, there were a total of 54,000 barrels of oil released into the environment through pipeline leaks which, while it sounds like a lot, is a miniscule proportion of the amount of oil flowing throught pipelines in North America every day. But the media pumps it up because of the politics of the Keystone pipeline in the news now. I'm wondering how many people, nationally in the US, heard about the 15,000 barrels of oil spilled in Minnesota a couple of months ago due to a train derailment - not too many, I'll bet - it doesn't fit the media's agenda.
    I 100% agree with you! I've actually been having this same train derailment discussion with another poster, lol. The problem I have with pipeline is their age. There is no plan for assessing, repair or replacing area of pipeline that are getting old. That is dangerous. But my primary concern has always been clean up. The oil industry has not updated it's clean up procedure since the 80's. I understand that oil is neccissary, currently. I also understand that pipeline are the safest means of transportation of that oil. However, if we are going to expand that practice, and rely on it so heavily, why is there no emphasis on ensuring it's done so as safetly as possible? Human error happen, pipelines are going to burst, it's inevitable. So why not spend the time and resources to prepare for that as well as possible before why start buildign more pipelines?
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  5. #65
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    If a shipper tells a truck driver to load a piece of equipment a certain way and that piece of equipment falls off the trailer, because it was loaded wrong, or secured improperly per the shippers influence on loading and securement, who takes the blame? The truck driver, or the shipper?
    Both. The shipper is to blame for not complying with the packaging rules, and the freight company is responsible for it's employee accepting that shipment.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You don't really believe that...do you?

    Tank Cars - CSX
    Super good info, and I appreciate the link, but I don't think it applies in this case, being that it was a Candian train not an American one. From what I've looked through, I haven't been able to find any sort of regulatory hurdles for transporting oil via train from Canada and into the US. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to admit it, but I haven't been able to find anything pertaining to the safety regulation of intercontinental transport of oil into the US.

    My question to you, would be if you think that the existing safety and clean up regulations are sufficient? I am not in any way advocating an end to oil production and shipment. I've said that over and over. My problem is are we doing it as safetly and intelligently as possible. I don't think we are, obviously, so I would like to know if you do.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I seem to meet more Texicans that think like me than like you. Not sure which one of us is the bigger embarressment.

    I haven't met a single Libbo in Kerrville and I know damn near everybody, by now.
    I don't live in Kerrville, although I have nothing against it. I live in Houston.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    This is really disgusting. How much more ecosystem has to be permanently trashed, and how many more people's lives must be ruined, before we start seriously investing in green energy? It's now affecting people's private properties too. Fracking is just as bad.

    It's dirty energy at high cost.
    Meh.

    The pictures are sensational but if it hasn't been completely cleaned up then it soon will be and residents will undoubtedly be richly compensated for their very brief trouble. All in all, the people affected by this small spill will have forgotten it long before they finish spending their compensation. This is probably the best thing that has ever happened to this people.

    I sure wish Exxon would spill oil in my backyard so I can go in front of the cameras and use it for leverage for them to pay off my mortgage. Then it would be nothing but for me.

  8. #68
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Firstly, if you want to talk about destruction of the gulf coast wetlands, you need to speak to the governments of the gulf coast states who have been doing it through coastal development for decades - the destruction caused by Katrina had everything to do with the erosion of the wetlands and nothing to do with big oil.

    Secondly, I wouldn't object to there also being criminal penalties for corporate leaders in such cases if it can be proven that their actions or inactions directly caused the damage. However, in our society, money is usually the only penalty awarded in tort cases - hit them with big enough damages and eventually they will change if it's in their power to do so.

    Finally, pipelines are by far the safest mode of transporting crude to refineries and refined oil to market - bar none. In 2012, there were a total of 54,000 barrels of oil released into the environment through pipeline leaks which, while it sounds like a lot, is a miniscule proportion of the amount of oil flowing throught pipelines in North America every day. But the media pumps it up because of the politics of the Keystone pipeline in the news now. I'm wondering how many people, nationally in the US, heard about the 15,000 barrels of oil spilled in Minnesota a couple of months ago due to a train derailment - not too many, I'll bet - it doesn't fit the media's agenda.
    You really don't understand at all. Fishing is all but halted and eating safe food from the gulf is not possible anymore because of the oil spills. That never happened before.

    And the pipelines are breaking in Canada and the Arkansas..and you can't back up that with any news information.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  9. #69
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    I agree with you that there has been a significant amount of damage to the wetlands by government and industry throughout the gulf, as well as Katrina. However, to think that the oil in the gulf did nothing to the wetlands that are still there, and that it won't have any future impact seem nonsensical to me, based on what I know about the development and sensitivity of the ecology of wetlands.



    Also, I never said anything about criminal charges. I know some people feel that way, but I am definitely not one of them! I'm talking about a threat to revoke permits to oil companies, unless safety and clean up procedures are updated right away. Paying a fine after the fact is clearly not having the kind of impact required. The threat of having to shut down their operation, even temporarily, is a cost I think the industry would not take so lightly.



    I 100% agree with you! I've actually been having this same train derailment discussion with another poster, lol. The problem I have with pipeline is their age. There is no plan for assessing, repair or replacing area of pipeline that are getting old. That is dangerous. But my primary concern has always been clean up. The oil industry has not updated it's clean up procedure since the 80's. I understand that oil is neccissary, currently. I also understand that pipeline are the safest means of transportation of that oil. However, if we are going to expand that practice, and rely on it so heavily, why is there no emphasis on ensuring it's done so as safetly as possible? Human error happen, pipelines are going to burst, it's inevitable. So why not spend the time and resources to prepare for that as well as possible before why start buildign more pipelines?
    I think we're pretty much in agreement here except I would note that if you take away permits for doing business from companies that suffer accidents, you are not necessarily harming the business so much as you are the employees. I remember during the gulf oil spill and clean up, the Obama administration shut down drilling all over the gulf and caused a lot of unemployment in the industry as well as the movement of some of the drilling rigs from the gulf to other areas of the world thus killing the jobs of oil rig workers permanently, or for a long time. These people who rely on the business for a high paying and consistent living are harmed greatly through no fault of their own.

    Canada is now looking at sending oilsands crude east across Canada to refineries in Quebec and New Brunswick, both places that want the business. The plans would involved upgrading existing pipelines that are being used to ship refined oil west and reversing them to ship crude east. Upgrading the refineries is good for employment in those two areas of the country who have higher unemployment and is good long term too. We may end up piping oil east to these refineries and west to the coast for tankers shipping it to China and India. The Obama administration's game playing with this vital industry may end up harming America far more than Canada.

  10. #70
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,194

    Re: Exxon cleans up Arkansas oil spill; Keystone plan assailed

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    You really don't understand at all. Fishing is all but halted and eating safe food from the gulf is not possible anymore because of the oil spills. That never happened before.

    And the pipelines are breaking in Canada and the Arkansas..and you can't back up that with any news information.
    This week, the Fish and Wildlife Service will begin a series of public meetings on the draft plan for the restoration of damage to natural resources resulting from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. It is natural that the discussion of this plan would also raise the question of whether Gulf seafood is safe to eat. The answer to that question is, yes. Gulf seafood is as safe to eat now as it was before the spill. - https://blogs.fda.gov/fdavoice/?tag=gulf-seafood

    No one claims that there aren't accidental spills related to transporting millions of barrels of crude and oil across Canada and the United States each day. It remains the safest way by far. Are you suggesting that large swaths of the American economy and society come to a stop?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •