Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 106 of 106

Thread: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

  1. #101
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,654

    Re: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

    Facebook drone-like behavior is my first thought on this. Changing your profile pic to match some marketing campaign, even if for a good cause, sounds creepy to me. It's not quite like getting a Harley Davidson tattoo, but close.

  2. #102
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    More than possible. I'm just saying drawing conclusions on such flimsy grounds as you are trying to draw causes your point to collapse.
    So you are saying that the point of the thread is meaningless?

  3. #103
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    So you are saying that the point of the thread is meaningless?
    Oh, it is. Although the support for same sex marriage is certainly higher than the opposition, it is more evident through the polls and just knowing people, not some adding of pics on facebook.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    So you are saying that the point of the thread is meaningless?
    That depends on what you are trying to do with the change. If you are trying to influence politicians there are probably better ways, though this did get some attention. If your purpose was to spread awareness that this matters to people through facebook then that probably got some effect. If your purpose was to show solidarity by doing the least possible effort, that was probably where it was most successful. Though i don't think changing your avatar is much to do with saving the world, it does at least let people know that being gay is not the end of the world which may make some people more comfortable with coming out and being themselves. I guess it seems like very little but when you are afraid to come out of the closet because certain people like to lie and make it seem like the whole world is out to get you, it is nice to know those people are wrong.

    It has been a long standing tactic on the right to include the silent people in their numbers. Many people allowed themselves to be counted in the opposition because of fear of retribution and that it is much easier to remain silent when you have no reason to show support. Now it seems the right is mad because the silent masses are no longer silent and are letting people know they don't hate homosexuals. It is hard to maintain fear of support when others around you stand up in support. They spent a long time attacking far more than gays, but also intimidating anyone who stood with them. But you cannot intimidate the mob. That is what you don't like about this movement. It shows you are not scary anymore. You need to pretend it is not true and try to convince others it means nothing because you need those people silently watching because it shows gays and their allies they are alone.

    So now what are you going to do since your fear tactics have failed?

  5. #105
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    2.7 million. Pretty weak support.

    The United States has 163,000,000 Facebook members so that is only 1.6% of the total. Facebook Statistics by Countries | Checkfacebook - Free FB Monitoring Tool

    That number would include all of the homosexuals on Facebook as well as their friends and college students, too.

    If this is any predictor of the Supreme Court SSM decision, the proponents are going to be disappointed.
    The weight of support among the populace should not be much of a predictor in a Supreme Court decision when it comes to civil rights.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Facebook: Marriage issue prompts 2.7 million profile picture updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    So you are saying that the point of the thread is meaningless?
    And may I add, kind of silly, misguided, and ignorant.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •