Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 111

Thread: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Won’ (

  1. #91
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Nice strawman. Since when did my comment have anything to do with that assertoin? My comment was just relating to the story in the OP's assertion that the notion of gay marriage already "won" by winning over the view of the american public. Read the words that are written, not the ones you bigotedly imagine are present when you see some elephants to the left of the persons post.
    Hmmmm. I read the words and it was YOU that mentioned the voters of California was the reason the case was before SCOTUS, since you didn't mention it, I asked the question. Care to answer it without implying that bigotry nonsense?


  2. #92
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I understand what you are saying and I agree with you, speaking literally. But the article is not speaking "literally". The article is making the argument that there has been an exponential shift in America's attitudes over the last five years. In essence, America's mind IS made up. Right-wing groups are going to continue to fight, but the war is over. Gay marriage is an inevitability, the only question that remains if it will be by ballot or by Court decree.
    But I still see that as a faulty premise because if it was really made up then all the various individuals and groups making the push that helped cause the shift over the last 5 yeras could stop doing what they're doing and it would come to pass. I don't actually believe that would happen. If suddenly tomorrow there were no groups pushing for gay marriage, there was no media covering gay marriage, if college kids and young professionals weren't chatting about it between their peers, then I absolutely DON'T think that within the next decade or so we'd see it win at the ballot box.

    By stating that America has "made up it's mind" it's stating that it's a done deal and that essentially nothing more needs to be done. That's foolishness, pure and simple. Especially in a political climate that is known to ebb and flow a bit. America's mind is NOT made up. It's BEING made up, and it's going in a certain direction, but it's not there yet. The article is an issue of counting ones eggs before they hatch, which is why I have an issue with the general premise it's built upon.

    If anything, this isn't the time to sit back and go "Hey, we're a shoe in. This is a done deal. The side of Gay Marriage has won, it's going to happen". This is the time to say "Hey, we're gaining support and it seems in the general mindshare of the country we're becoming the majority. Now is the time to actually push, to take the fight forward even harder, and see if we can have some impact in the polls that matter [voting booths] rather than gallup"

  3. #93
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Hmmmm. I read the words and it was YOU that mentioned the voters of California was the reason the case was before SCOTUS, since you didn't mention it, I asked the question.
    Correct, I did. Which, as I noted in the first post, is an indication of a failed premise of suggesting that the American publics "Mind is made up" when you had a majority of voters in America's largest state casting their votes in a way opposite of what the article was claiming. If the voters hadn't voted as they did on Prop 8 then the court cases that eventually spawned the current one before SCOTUS would've never came to be.

    I made literally zero comment what so ever to the entire notion of whether the votes should have been cast, because that's not the topic of the thread. MY post was actually dealing with the topic. I didn't answer your inane strawman based off your prejudiced reading of my words because it's entirely irrelevant to my point, the topic, or anything I've said. If you want to actually respond to a point I made, or ask me a question actually pertaining with the specific topic, be my guest.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Hmmmm. I read the words and it was YOU that mentioned the voters of California was the reason the case was before SCOTUS, since you didn't mention it, I asked the question. Care to answer it without implying that bigotry nonsense?
    The voters, not the Governor, brought this to SCOTUS.

  5. #95
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    The voters, not the Governor, brought this to SCOTUS.
    .

    Which voters are you talking about: All, for SSM or against SSM?


  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Which voters are you talking about: All, for SSM or against SSM?
    Well the last appeals ruling shot down prop8, which would have meant ssm would be legal, so obviously the party filing an appeal to SCOTUS would be in opposition to ssm.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,264

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    I think its pretty crazy that in the "land of the free" conservatives can justify restricting the rights of other Americans. Seems a little mixed upto me.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #98
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    675

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    I think its pretty crazy that in the "land of the free" conservatives can justify restricting the rights of other Americans. Seems a little mixed upto me.
    So your up for multiple spouses and killing unborn babies? How about good old fashioned bestiality?

  9. #99
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,264

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    So your up for multiple spouses and killing unborn babies? How about good old fashioned bestiality?
    lol wow comparing gay marriage to bestiality, nice.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #100
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,937

    Re: TIME Magazine Features Two Covers, Two Couples, Declares ‘Gay Marriage Already Wo

    Quote Originally Posted by hfd View Post
    So your up for multiple spouses and killing unborn babies? How about good old fashioned bestiality?
    idiot argument is idiotic.
    Come on, you can do better than that.

    edit: almost as bad as invoking a NAZI analogy.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •