Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

  1. #1
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play - Bloomberg

    Johnson, 66, the Senate banking committee chairman, is the second Democrat from a state won by Republican nominee Mitt Romney last year to say he wont seek re-election in 2014. His announcement yesterday means that in Republican-leaning states, his party must defend those two open seats and support five incumbents running for re-election.
    I will be 68 years old at the end of this term, and it is time for me to say goodbye, Johnson said at a news conference in his home state of South Dakota.
    His announcement sets up a possible fight over who would head the Senate Banking, Housing & Urban Affairs Committee -- which oversees financial regulation legislation -- in the 2015- 16 congressional session.
    I think this going to be a key factor in killing any gun control in the Senate. We'll see.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #2
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,876
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post

    I think this going to be a key factor in killing any gun control in the Senate. We'll see.
    Hope so.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  3. #3
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play - Bloomberg


    I think this going to be a key factor in killing any gun control in the Senate. We'll see.
    Hmmmmmmm....... Johnson says at age 68 it's time for him to leave the scene. Could this be a comment directed at a senior lady, former Senator, former Secretary of State, thinking about entering Presidential politics in a couple of years who will also be 68 heading towards 69 before the Presidential election in 2016?

  4. #4
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Hmmmmmmm....... Johnson says at age 68 it's time for him to leave the scene. Could this be a comment directed at a senior lady, former Senator, former Secretary of State, thinking about entering Presidential politics in a couple of years who will also be 68 heading towards 69 before the Presidential election in 2016?
    Johnson's retirement had more to do with his health problems then age. I recall he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago.

  5. #5
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Johnson's retirement had more to do with his health problems then age. I recall he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago.
    So only half his brain is working, like a normal politician.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #6
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Johnson's retirement had more to do with his health problems then age. I recall he suffered a stroke a couple of years ago.
    All the more reason to consider Hillary's health considering her fainting spell attributed to exhaustion during the run up to her testimony following Benghazi. Unless you're Barack Obama, the job of President would be infinitely more stressful than Secretary of State and I don't think Hillary golfs or follows college basketball.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    So only half his brain is working, like a normal politician.
    Please do not joke about people having strokes, it is no laughing matter

  8. #8
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    All the more reason to consider Hillary's health considering her fainting spell attributed to exhaustion during the run up to her testimony following Benghazi. Unless you're Barack Obama, the job of President would be infinitely more stressful than Secretary of State and I don't think Hillary golfs or follows college basketball.
    Your contempt for Hilary and Obama are duly noted. And if you think international diplomacy is not stressful, then I would like to know what is. Oh right, it is dealing with all the conspiracys day in and day out.

  9. #9
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Hmmmmmmm....... Johnson says at age 68 it's time for him to leave the scene. Could this be a comment directed at a senior lady, former Senator, former Secretary of State, thinking about entering Presidential politics in a couple of years who will also be 68 heading towards 69 before the Presidential election in 2016?
    Ronald Reagan was 69 when he became President. Just saying.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #10
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Johnson Senate Exit Puts Control, Bank Chairman in Play

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Your contempt for Hilary and Obama are duly noted. And if you think international diplomacy is not stressful, then I would like to know what is. Oh right, it is dealing with all the conspiracys day in and day out.
    Perhaps you can quote for me one passage in which I stated or implied that international diplomacy isn't stressful. I'll wait patiently.

    What I did imply, explicitly, is that I would believe the Presidency to be even more stressful, unless you only hold the title for the perks, such as President Obama does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •