Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Amanda Knox retrial...

  1. #31
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,020

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Finding "justice"? Sorry but continueally hounding somone that has been found innocent is not "finding justice". I would rather have 10 guilty people be let free than to have 1 innocent person in prison.
    I am sorry you think people who are being prosecuted for their crimes are being hounded , how about the families of the victims of OJ Simpson? How about the fact that they are being hounded by the injustice of the killer of their children/loved ones because some jury acquitted a guilty man? In the Netherlands people who have been found guilty will only find their verdict appealed if there is real doubt that the judge made the correct decision, not because they want to hound the person but because they want justice for all involved in the case.

    In the Netherlands that verdict could almost never happened but if it did happen the prosecution would have the option of appealing the verdict and having the families have their justice.

    Also, in our system people who were found guilty incorrectly have the chance to escape their unjust prison sentence because they have the appeals process.

    A few names, OJ Simpson, Lorena Bobbit, R. Kelly, Casey Anthony, Rodney King officers and Robert Blake.

    And then we are not even thinking about all the people who innocently sat in jail in the US because they could not appeal their verdicts even if there was real doubt they were guilty when the verdict was announced. In the Netherlands these people would just have appealed their verdict and would have had the chance to prove their innocence.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #32
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I am sorry you think people who are being prosecuted for their crimes are being hounded , how about the families of the victims of OJ Simpson? How about the fact that they are being hounded by the injustice of the killer of their children/loved ones because some jury acquitted a guilty man? In the Netherlands people who have been found guilty will only find their verdict appealed if there is real doubt that the judge made the correct decision, not because they want to hound the person but because they want justice for all involved in the case.

    In the Netherlands that verdict could almost never happened but if it did happen the prosecution would have the option of appealing the verdict and having the families have their justice.

    Also, in our system people who were found guilty incorrectly have the chance to escape their unjust prison sentence because they have the appeals process.

    A few names, OJ Simpson, Lorena Bobbit, R. Kelly, Casey Anthony, Rodney King officers and Robert Blake.
    Like I said, I would rather have 10 guilty people be set free than have 1 innocent sit in jail.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    And then we are not even thinking about all the people who innocently sat in jail in the US because they could not appeal their verdicts even if there was real doubt they were guilty when the verdict was announced. In the Netherlands these people would just have appealed their verdict and would have had the chance to prove their innocence.
    This is where you are wrong also. In the US a person can make an appeal on their conviction an unlimited number of times. From the way you explained your system a person can make an appeal only until there is one "final" verdict by the highest court.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #33
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,777

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    I thought I read somewhere that our extradition treaty specifically doesn't apply in cases of double jeopardy.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #34
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    There is also double jeopardy in the Netherlands, but a suspect is only guilty or innocent if all the appeals have been made final.

    And it is not designed for finding people guilty or innocent but to get justice. If a case is blatant injustice in the USA by freeing someone of whom it is almost certain that he is guilty, than the police and the prosecution can not appeal the verdict and the killer (for example OJ Simpson). And the other way around is also possible, when a suspect is found guilty even though he is innocent, than he cannot appeal that verdict and have the injustice overthrown by an appeal.

    Just because you think law is supposed to work in one way does not mean that the entire world will see it that way. I think a system in which both the prosecution and the suspect can appeal a verdict they find violates their feeling of justice is far superior than cases where a system that does not allow appeals.

    What appeals process? Certainly sounds as if they don't have one at all.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,020

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    What appeals process? Certainly sounds as if they don't have one at all.
    Amanda Knox was freed on appeal but the prosecutor went to their supreme court with the case when he appealed the verdict of releasing Knox and her friend.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    She is a US citizen and our double jeopardy should supersede the Italian law.

  7. #37
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    She is a US citizen and our double jeopardy should supersede the Italian law.
    I've got a funny feeling this is all by intent on the italian political front. Now they can have their kangaroo court in absentia trial and placate the British and italian bigots in their midst, while the rest of the world moves on.

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post
    I've got a funny feeling this is all by intent on the italian political front. Now they can have their kangaroo court in absentia trial and placate the British and italian bigots in their midst, while the rest of the world moves on.
    I agree this is the most likely scenario. They just want people off their back.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Thank god that we here in the US have double jeapordy clause in our Constitution because otherwise you get things like this...

    Amanda Knox retrial: the story of the Meredith Kercher murder trial so far

    God Italy's laws are messed up...
    I'd rather live in Italy than in a country where the government can simply label you a "terrorist" and then lock you up indefinitely in Guantanamo Bay, with no trial at all.

  10. #40
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Amanda Knox retrial...

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Can't the US just say um **** you to Italy? Just don't extradite her.
    If she's found guilty in absentia, she can never go back to Italy, or any other country that has looser extradition treaties with Italy.

    So it makes sense for her to fight it. Plus, her reputation is on the line.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •