Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 357

Thread: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

  1. #331
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Tyranny is taking individuals freedoms away via the state
    And the freedom being taken away is the right to vote and the states sovereignty to govern and define what is within their jurisdiction. Is it Tyranny to have a progressive tax system?
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  2. #332
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    And the freedom being taken away is the right to vote and the states sovereignty to govern and define what is within their jurisdiction. Is it Tyranny to have a progressive tax system?
    And again you give States rights prerogative over individual rights.

  3. #333
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    And again you give States rights prerogative over individual rights.
    Like I said, the individual rights lie in an individuals right to vote and speak on an issue.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #334
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,741

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    What's damn scary is saying voters have no rights to change and define legal terms in their constitution because some feel it's their right to impose their definition upon everyone and thus can violate the democratic process. Defining marriage is an issue of policy.
    Kindof like defining "people" was an issue of policy!

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Like I said, the individual rights lie in an individuals right to vote and speak on an issue.
    That is objectively false in any number of situations.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    If progressives are really this passionate about gay marriage than why don't they TRY TO AMEND THE CONSTITUTION instead of running to the Supreme Court?

    Oh yeah they can't because defining marriage is impossible not to mention a slippery slope argument, or the so-called fallacies they refuse to recognize even exist. They can't do it because defining would be de facto discrimination.

    Unbelievable...
    Well we don't need to because unequal treatment under the law is already unconstitutional.

  6. #336
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boss View Post
    Well we don't need to because unequal treatment under the law is already unconstitutional.


    There is a difference between freedom and equality....
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 03-31-13 at 01:39 AM.

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    There is a difference between freedom and equality....
    Thanks for that irrelevant observation. Now go read the 14th amendment.

  8. #338
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boss View Post
    Thanks for that irrelevant observation. Now go read the 14th amendment.
    the 14th states privileges<----- and immunities, due process of law, and that governments cannot discriminate.

    privileges and rights are two different things, marriage would have to be declared a right, to call it inequality, privileges through licensing are not given to every American, you have to meet what the state sets as the standard.

    marriage cannot be a right because it imposes on another person or entity force, because marriage is a contract, and no one has the authority to force a third party to be part of a marriage, by preforming a ceremony.

    nothing can be a right if it has the power of force behind it.
    Last edited by Master PO; 03-31-13 at 09:40 AM.

  9. #339
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    the 14th states privileges<----- and immunities, due process of law, and that governments cannot discriminate.

    privileges and rights are two different things, marriage would have to be declared a right, to call it inequality, privileges through licensing are not given to every American, you have to meet what the state sets as the standard.

    marriage cannot be a right because it imposes on another person or entity force, because marriage is a contract, and no one has the authority to force a third party to be part of a marriage, by preforming a ceremony.

    nothing can be a right if it has the power of force behind it.
    Marraige is legally in this country a right, and has been affirmed so in numerous(15?) supreme court rulings.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    563

    Re: 5 possible outcomes of the Supreme Court Prop. 8 case

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Marraige is legally in this country a right, and has been affirmed so in numerous(15?) supreme court rulings.
    Sonned

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •