Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 310

Thread: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

  1. #31
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    If this lesson was truly about the power of a word then why wasn't the
    word " Allah" or " Muhammed " ?

    I wouldn't have done it either.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, then we are back to my original question aren't we? How many of these types of incidents do we need to read about before we start to look at the reason we are seeing these stories happen with more frequency as time goes on? To just dismiss it out of hand and attempt to make it about me, rather than the larger question is just not addressing the topic, sorry.
    If this were a common occurrence, then it wouldn't have been news.

    A million students attended class, learned about everything from abstract art to zoology, didn't talk politics or religion, that isn't news.

    One professor booted a kid out because he wouldn't step on Jesus, that's news. Why? Because it is not the norm, that's why.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #33
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    The funniest thing is that if you read the instructions for the exercise, it says that most people will hesitate or refuse to step on the paper and this is an opening to discuss word biases in a social situation. The teacher and the university are both totally in the wrong on this one.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Volunteer State
    Last Seen
    10-17-16 @ 03:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,138
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    Having read about this elsewhere, I can point out that the lesson (as written in the text book at least) has nothing to do with atheism. The demonstration is about the power of words and symbols.

    There are clearly not enough details public to make a definitive statement (nor should there be). In general, a student should be free to refuse to actually carry out the demonstration and shouldn't suffer in any way for that. Equally though, that refusal should be made calmly and reasonably. Given the reported code of conduct charges, there is an accusation that he crossed that line at some point in the sequence of events (meaning he hasn't been disciplined yet and may well not be at all). Exactly when, how, why and indeed if that happened isn't at all clear.

    Jumping to conclusions, throwing out terms like Marxist and Nazi is totally inappropriate given the lack of information. Ironically, it's the kind of knee-jerk reaction that can lead to cases like this in the first place.

    Incidentally, the CBS headline you quote reads like a straight statement of facts. Maybe you perceive bias in it because neutral headlines are such a rarity in the media.
    That isn't the effective way to demonstrate the power of words and symbols.

    The best and proven way is to write the words "allah" and "mohammed" with arabic symbols and then tell the students to stomp it under their feet. I guarantee you heads will roll and properties will be burnt while humdreds and thousands of irrate muslims worldwide will come out in droves demanding for American bloods.

    Heck, just burnt the quran or draw a cartoon of mohammed and see what will happen.

  5. #35
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    If this were a common occurrence, then it wouldn't have been news.

    A million students attended class, learned about everything from abstract art to zoology, didn't talk politics or religion, that isn't news.

    One professor booted a kid out because he wouldn't step on Jesus, that's news. Why? Because it is not the norm, that's why.
    Or because the University, and the liberal progressives running it were going to go after the kid until more came out in the news....hmmmm....But yeah, I see what you are saying here, "Nothing to see here, move along".....No.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #36
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Or because the University, and the liberal progressives running it were going to go after the kid until more came out in the news....hmmmm....But yeah, I see what you are saying here, "Nothing to see here, move along".....No.
    One incident does not show that "liberal progressives" are running even that one university, let alone all of them.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    If this lesson was truly about the power of a word then why wasn't the
    word " Allah" or " Muhammed " ?

    I wouldn't have done it either.
    Why would a progressive do that?

    Rich white people worship Jesus and poor brown people worship Muhammad...

    You may as well attempt to instruct a progressive to say something negative about Obama - they wont and will bash Bush... To a progressive Jesus didn't exist or is some sort of horrible image of "white redneck culture."

    That's the way it is.

  8. #38
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    One incident does not show that "liberal progressives" are running even that one university, let alone all of them.
    Oh come on now ditto...really now.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #39
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Yeah - there aren't enough facts to form an opinion. Just what did he do and how did he complain?

    I'm sure he's not the only student to ever not participate in the history of doing this so there's obviously something more to it.
    I agree. A few days ago when I first read about this, the article linked to Rateaprof.com. Professor Poole's most recent reviews were from a few years ago with one addition, that new review being posted on 3-23. Interesting.

    From the last paragraph of the article linked on p. 1: "So far, 2013 has been a controversial year for the university. In January, associate professor James Tracy questioned on his personal blog whether the Sandy Hook massacre happened. Then in February, FAU became the subject of protests when it named its stadium after the GEO Group, a prison company that donated $6 million to the university."

    FAU is not having a good year so far.

    I wonder why the student was enrolled in this particular class and whether he violated FAU's civility code, whatever that is. I wonder why Poole chose Jesus as the "symbol." He's not dumb; he knew how outrageous this was. Remember Adrienne Pine, the breastfeeding-during-lecture prof? She knew what she was doing too.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I agree. A few days ago when I first read about this, the article linked to Rateaprof.com. Professor Poole's most recent reviews were from a few years ago with one addition, that new review being posted on 3-23. Interesting.

    From the last paragraph of the article linked on p. 1: "So far, 2013 has been a controversial year for the university. In January, associate professor James Tracy questioned on his personal blog whether the Sandy Hook massacre happened. Then in February, FAU became the subject of protests when it named its stadium after the GEO Group, a prison company that donated $6 million to the university."

    FAU is not having a good year so far.

    I wonder why the student was enrolled in this particular class and whether he violated FAU's civility code, whatever that is. I wonder why Poole chose Jesus as the "symbol." He's not dumb; he knew how outrageous this was. Remember Adrienne Pine, the breastfeeding-during-lecture prof? She knew what she was doing too.
    Of course then they will deny all of it....

    "No we don't support radical ideas we just understand them."

    Unbelievable.

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •