Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 310

Thread: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

  1. #211
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    Look Nick ... this is getting REALLY REALLY tiring .... FFS go and READ what happened instead of filling in the blanks with what you IMAGINE happened!



    Beth Kassab: Point missed on Jesus-stomping lesson at FAU - Orlando Sentinel

    ALL you have done is prove that you have not got a clue about the point of the exercise.

    Yeah you go learn respect and loyalty to an individual (even if said individual is dead) ------- not to a political party or communist collectivist party but to someone you trust and love. then piss on their grave....

    Because that is the only way I can comprehend such nonsense you're defending when jumping on "JESUS" is a logical lesson plan.

    What the **** am I supposed to learn about that?

    What the **** is the moral of that lesson?

    Paper is bad or Jesus is bad? or maybe we need to deny our religion and subscribe to more secular ideas? like communism....

  2. #212
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah you go learn respect and loyalty to an individual (even if said individual is dead) ------- not to a political party or communist collectivist party but to someone you trust and love. then piss on their grave....

    Because that is the only way I can comprehend such nonsense you're defending when jumping on "JESUS" is a logical lesson plan.

    What the **** am I supposed to learn about that?

    What the **** is the moral of that lesson?

    Paper is bad or Jesus is bad? or maybe we need to deny our religion and subscribe to more secular ideas? like communism....
    The point is that it's just a piece of paper with a name scribbled on it, so stomping on it should be no big deal. It's supposed to show how important symbols (such as Jesus' name or flags) are.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah this isn't 1984 USA is it? Oh well I suppose it is in your opinion considering you believe it's OK for "teachers" to tell students to do whatever they want like in 1984 over the TV at 7am.
    Yes, it is called class. It doesn't mean they can break the law, but they do have assignments. I would also add that during my time in school I found most assignments to be pointless and stupid, but I did not get to hide behind jesus when i cursed my teachers or if I were to have chosen to make threats on their life. I think it is nice this kid is religious just so he can get out of doing classwork and be a gigantic dick and be forgiven. I just don't use those excuses myself.

  4. #214
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Yes, it is called class. It doesn't mean they can break the law, but they do have assignments. I would also add that during my time in school I found most assignments to be pointless and stupid, but I did not get to hide behind jesus when i cursed my teachers or if I were to have chosen to make threats on their life. I think it is nice this kid is religious just so he can get out of doing classwork and be a gigantic dick and be forgiven. I just don't use those excuses myself.
    But students still have rights. The professor has no right to force someone to do something that would violate the tenets of their religious beliefs. Forcing students to step on the name of Jesus is offensive in the extreme. I understand the point of the exercise, but would submit that there are many other symbols that could have been chosen that don't involve the fundamental beliefs held by a large number of people.

    As for the so-called 'intercultural communication' element here, what culture would do this? Christains certainly wouldn't. Buddhists wouldn't as they tend to respect all religions. Hundus wouldn't as they accept the addition of ANY god within their pantheon, including Jesus. Mainstream Muslims wouldn't as they regard Jesus as a prophet. Who would? Western athiestic anti-Christian types and neo-pagans.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  5. #215
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But students still have rights. The professor has no right to force someone to do something that would violate the tenets of their religious beliefs. Forcing students to step on the name of Jesus is offensive in the extreme. I understand the point of the exercise, but would submit that there are many other symbols that could have been chosen that don't involve the fundamental beliefs held by a large number of people.
    First problem with your statement. From what i understand of the assignment compliance with stepping on the paper was not a requirement. Also, I don't hear much about the student being forced to comply. What i do hear is that instead of just saying no he made threats and went on the attack against the instructor. Of course, the textbook, or whatever, that suggested the assignment should have warned about some student going way over the top in reaction to the assignment. Still, the only reason it seems there was any conflict was the student didn't just refuse to do it. The second problem with your statement, and also a problem with the assignment itself, is that the assignment was flawed as per it's intent. The assignment only works if you are a christian, and a rather devout one at that. the purpose is to step on a word that means something to you. If you are not a christian the assignment fails. Granted it is likely to effect most people in the class as america has a majority of christians, but still it should be modified per individual. However, the assignment being something that a person reacts to is the point of the assignment itself. So no it could not have been the same with a lesser term. The good part is the kids all got a nice lesson in how batcrap crazy some people get over something that doesn't mean much. It would also seem the teacher learned something also about how far some people will take their crazy.

    This experiment may actually cause some people to act more respectfully. The effects do show that for some people a completely pointless gesture matters so if your point is not to offend you should be considerate of their opinions or else you could really send the wrong message. It is a lesson that seems to completely be lost on faux news who should be looking at how they attack things that mean something to others like stomping a piece of paper on the floor. Of course, if your position is one to offend then perhaps you learned a great lesson on how to piss people off. Despite the teacher and possibly the student suffering life long consequences for having this thing blown way out of proportion it is a great social lesson for us all.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    As for the so-called 'intercultural communication' element here, what culture would do this? Christains certainly wouldn't.
    You are referring to the christians who mock ramadan, piss on gay marriage and call it an abomination, hate on multiple religions, and make complete asses out of themselves by freaking out because their new pope touched a woman's foot? You mean those christians, right? because they certainly would do something lovely like burn a koran day at a local church. It is funny how they freak out over this, but yet when they do it to other religions they cannot see how they participate in the exact same thing they are complaining about.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Buddhists wouldn't as they tend to respect all religions. Hundus wouldn't as they accept the addition of ANY god within their pantheon, including Jesus. Mainstream Muslims wouldn't as they regard Jesus as a prophet. Who would? Western athiestic anti-Christian types and neo-pagans.
    No, they all have their extremists. Right here you even join in with blaming those you don't like despite the reality you know that christians often disrespect other religions, and that other religions do the same thing. Perhaps this lesson is more needed in the world's faith than anywhere else. because nowhere else is something so meaningless sanctified to such a level as to get this much reaction.

  6. #216
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    First problem with your statement. From what i understand of the assignment compliance with stepping on the paper was not a requirement. Also, I don't hear much about the student being forced to comply.
    Just asking a student to do this is way over the line. I would say the same if a professor asked students to step on the name of Mohammed, and he was merely a prophet, or any other symbol that is held holy by a religious faith.

    What i do hear is that instead of just saying no he made threats and went on the attack against the instructor.
    That is what the professor and what the school said in the beginning. Is this what really happened? It seems you may be as guilty as believing one side of the story as any else is.

    Of course, the textbook, or whatever, that suggested the assignment should have warned about some student going way over the top in reaction to the assignment. Still, the only reason it seems there was any conflict was the student didn't just refuse to do it.
    Were I in the class, I also would have been very vocal as it was way over the line. It is completely unacceptable.

    The second problem with your statement, and also a problem with the assignment itself, is that the assignment was flawed as per it's intent. The assignment only works if you are a christian, and a rather devout one at that. the purpose is to step on a word that means something to you.
    The assignment is flawed on many levels. On this, I agree with you.

    If you are not a christian the assignment fails.
    Or a Muslim who respects Jesus as a prophet, or any sane person who has respect for religion. Were anyone to ask me to step on a paper with the name of Budda, I would also refuse and bring up the inappropriateness with the professor.

    Granted it is likely to effect most people in the class as america has a majority of christians, but still it should be modified per individual. However, the assignment being something that a person reacts to is the point of the assignment itself. So no it could not have been the same with a lesser term. The good part is the kids all got a nice lesson in how batcrap crazy some people get over something that doesn't mean much. It would also seem the teacher learned something also about how far some people will take their crazy.
    The only batcrap crazy here is the liberal Democrat professor who asked students to do such a thing.

    This experiment may actually cause some people to act more respectfully. The effects do show that for some people a completely pointless gesture matters so if your point is not to offend you should be considerate of their opinions or else you could really send the wrong message.
    Something tells me that this is a lesson that will be completely lost on the 'instructor' of the class.

    It is a lesson that seems to completely be lost on faux news who should be looking at how they attack things that mean something to others like stomping a piece of paper on the floor. Of course, if your position is one to offend then perhaps you learned a great lesson on how to piss people off. Despite the teacher and possibly the student suffering life long consequences for having this thing blown way out of proportion it is a great social lesson for us all.
    Perhaps the prof isn't the only who needs lessons in respect. I think the student will be fine. The instructor should never again be allowed in the halls of an instutition of higher learning as a teacher.

    You are referring to the christians who mock ramadan, piss on gay marriage and call it an abomination, hate on multiple religions, and make complete asses out of themselves by freaking out because their new pope touched a woman's foot? You mean those christians, right? because they certainly would do something lovely like burn a koran day at a local church. It is funny how they freak out over this, but yet when they do it to other religions they cannot see how they participate in the exact same thing they are complaining about.
    Most Christians I know do NOT mock Ramadan. I certainly don't. Most Christians I know don't hate on other religions. I certainly don't. And the Catholics who were not pleased (not freaking out, don't get melodramatic) are in a small minority. This Catholic wasn't offended and I have actually participated in the foot washing ceremony before with women in the group of twelve. And that lunatic who burned the Qur'an was a fringe minority as well. You like to pick on the fringe minority while ignoring the fact that the vast majority of Christians are kind, hardworking, forgiving and tolerant people.

    As for gay marriage, that is a completely different issue entirely, but that is not a discussion for this thread.


    No, they all have their extremists. Right here you even join in with blaming those you don't like despite the reality you know that christians often disrespect other religions, and that other religions do the same thing. Perhaps this lesson is more needed in the world's faith than anywhere else. because nowhere else is something so meaningless sanctified to such a level as to get this much reaction.[/QUOTE]
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  7. #217
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah you go learn respect and loyalty to an individual (even if said individual is dead) ------- not to a political party or communist collectivist party but to someone you trust and love. then piss on their grave....

    Because that is the only way I can comprehend such nonsense you're defending when jumping on "JESUS" is a logical lesson plan.

    What the **** am I supposed to learn about that?

    What the **** is the moral of that lesson?

    Paper is bad or Jesus is bad? or maybe we need to deny our religion and subscribe to more secular ideas? like communism....
    If you look at the exercise, there is an expectation that most students WILL NOT FOLLOW THROUGH with stomping on the word, and the purpose is to discuss why people would react the way they did.

    what do you think of people who deliberately offend Muslims by desecrating THEIR sacred symbols/words etc?

    do you understand why they might be offended?

    that is the obvious example, but in all honesty there are many others.


    I am not sure with why you believe that understanding of this should be limited to secularists and communists. I know several ministers of religion who have the capacity to understand this.
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  8. #218
    Professor
    marywollstonecraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-13 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,317

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    But students still have rights. The professor has no right to force someone to do something that would violate the tenets of their religious beliefs. Forcing students to step on the name of Jesus is offensive in the extreme. I understand the point of the exercise, but would submit that there are many other symbols that could have been chosen that don't involve the fundamental beliefs held by a large number of people.
    where is the evidence that anyone was forced?

    As for the so-called 'intercultural communication' element here, what culture would do this? Christains certainly wouldn't. Buddhists wouldn't as they tend to respect all religions. Hundus wouldn't as they accept the addition of ANY god within their pantheon, including Jesus. Mainstream Muslims wouldn't as they regard Jesus as a prophet. Who would? Western athiestic anti-Christian types and neo-pagans.
    do you think terry jones was a Christian?

    Florida pastor Terry Jones burns copies of Koran outside church - NY Daily News
    Every political good carried to the extreme must be productive of evil.

  9. #219
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by marywollstonecraft View Post
    where is the evidence that anyone was forced?
    Teachers are authority figures in a classroom. Some people, including many Mormons, still believe that they should be respected and remember, they have the power of the grade.

    Was that the name of 'Jesus'? You obviously didn't read my post very closely. You also obviously didn't read my reply to another post in which this was already brought up.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  10. #220
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    racial boogie man land
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,798

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    First problem with your statement. From what i understand of the assignment compliance with stepping on the paper was not a requirement. Also, I don't hear much about the student being forced to comply. What i do hear is that instead of just saying no he made threats and went on the attack against the instructor. Of course, the textbook, or whatever, that suggested the assignment should have warned about some student going way over the top in reaction to the assignment. Still, the only reason it seems there was any conflict was the student didn't just refuse to do it. The second problem with your statement, and also a problem with the assignment itself, is that the assignment was flawed as per it's intent. The assignment only works if you are a christian, and a rather devout one at that. the purpose is to step on a word that means something to you. If you are not a christian the assignment fails. Granted it is likely to effect most people in the class as america has a majority of christians, but still it should be modified per individual. However, the assignment being something that a person reacts to is the point of the assignment itself. So no it could not have been the same with a lesser term. The good part is the kids all got a nice lesson in how batcrap crazy some people get over something that doesn't mean much. It would also seem the teacher learned something also about how far some people will take their crazy.

    This experiment may actually cause some people to act more respectfully. The effects do show that for some people a completely pointless gesture matters so if your point is not to offend you should be considerate of their opinions or else you could really send the wrong message. It is a lesson that seems to completely be lost on faux news who should be looking at how they attack things that mean something to others like stomping a piece of paper on the floor. Of course, if your position is one to offend then perhaps you learned a great lesson on how to piss people off. Despite the teacher and possibly the student suffering life long consequences for having this thing blown way out of proportion it is a great social lesson for us all.


    You are referring to the christians who mock ramadan, piss on gay marriage and call it an abomination, hate on multiple religions, and make complete asses out of themselves by freaking out because their new pope touched a woman's foot? You mean those christians, right? because they certainly would do something lovely like burn a koran day at a local church. It is funny how they freak out over this, but yet when they do it to other religions they cannot see how they participate in the exact same thing they are complaining about.


    No, they all have their extremists. Right here you even join in with blaming those you don't like despite the reality you know that christians often disrespect other religions, and that other religions do the same thing. Perhaps this lesson is more needed in the world's faith than anywhere else. because nowhere else is something so meaningless sanctified to such a level as to get this much reaction.

    Christ is not meaningless to many of us. It wasn't stomping a piece of paper. This is what you are not getting.
    You rightly call out that the lesson was really poorly designed, and I applaud you for this bit of honesty.
    But what you gloss over is the fact that Christ and Christians are regularly stomped on by those in academia and often in the media as well.
    This students reaction wasn't over the top. It was simply an accumulated outrage at the constant assault on his faith.
    Had the lesson instructed students to write something they hold sacred or in great respect and then step on it, the lesson may have worked, as you indicate. As it is, it specifically said write "Jesus" on the paper. This shows the serious prejudice oft displayed in our places of learning against the Christian faith.

    You may paint "Christan's" as intolerant, and certainly there are some, but this isn't Christ. I've gone to many churches over the years, and never have I heard from the pulpit any direction or desire to stomp on other faiths, nor sinners.
    I remember after 9/11 some Muslims came to our church, a very large church made up of primarily white middle class folks. They wanted to show their empathy with the Christians after such a horrendous attack. The pastor made a point of introducing them as such, and the response was an immediate and unrehearsed standing ovation for their courage and empathy. Those are the Christians I know.

    Your rant is about how stupid the person was, and how meaningless the "paper" was, and "get over yourselves."
    You have failed the lesson.

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •