Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 310

Thread: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

  1. #101
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    06-21-18 @ 07:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,241

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Why would a progressive do that?

    Rich white people worship Jesus and poor brown people worship Muhammad...

    You may as well attempt to instruct a progressive to say something negative about Obama - they wont and will bash Bush... To a progressive Jesus didn't exist or is some sort of horrible image of "white redneck culture."

    That's the way it is.
    Actually, nobody worships Mohammad. Muslims certainly don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    06-17-18 @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,738

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Nope. I'd even
    step on a piece of paper with FENTON on it. But it's telling that you'd ask.

    Poor conservatives: they can't seem to tell the difference between words and things.
    Poor Liberals, too wrapped up in a corrupt ideology, they're too blind to notice the obvious.

    Hey if you wouldn't step on a paper, publicly with the word Muhammed written on it, how is this whole issue just about words ?

  3. #103
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    06-20-18 @ 07:51 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    10,591

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Poor Liberals, too wrapped up in a corrupt ideology, they're too blind to notice the obvious.

    Hey if you wouldn't step on a paper, publicly with the word Muhammed written on it, how is this whole issue just about words ?

    Are you then saying that a piece of paper with the name "JESUS" written on it is in someway a piece of God? Have you bothered to read the explanation as to the purpose of the exercise? Does it matter to you what the exercise was meant to show? Does it matter to you that the student failed to justify his actions to the class and instead stormed out of the class room and went to the dean to complain - complain about a professor and a class that many other students have already taken?

    Is a classroom a "public place"? Were there Muslims in the class? We know how easy a bunch of fundies would find it to step on the Prophet's name - so just how would that develop Intercultural Communications?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  4. #104
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    44,103

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I would say given the propensity of the MSM these days to either not report, or actively bury stories that are either embarrassing, or down right damaging to the socialist progressive movement in the US, and that we usually see a story like this leak out on average once every couple of months, that it is more pervasive than we are told it is...See, the problem is that while you Ditto are usually a pretty moderate voice on some issues, when it comes to education, being employed in the belly of the beast so to speak, your knee jerk reaction to anything like this is to defend it by downplaying it as best you can. But, when you talk to people on the street that have children in collage, or have kids yourself in collage, the stories of absurd assignments, to the utterly weird are all around.
    One thing that education teaches is that a generalization is a logical fallacy.

    Another is that, when we know only some of the facts, we often come to the wrong conclusion.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge" Stephen Hawking

  5. #105
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Poor Liberals, too wrapped up in a corrupt ideology, they're too blind to notice the obvious.

    Hey if you wouldn't step on a paper, publicly with the word Muhammed written on it, how is this whole issue just about words ?
    ... because the student wouldn't step on a piece of paper with the word "Jesus" on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  6. #106
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    06-17-18 @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,738

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Are you then saying that a piece of paper with the name "JESUS" written on it is
    in someway a piece of God? Have you bothered to read the explanation as to the purpose of the exercise? Does it matter to you what the exercise was meant to show? Does it matter to you that the student failed to justify his actions to the class and instead stormed out of the class room and went to the dean to complain - complain about a professor and a class that many other students have already taken?

    Is a classroom a "public place"? Were there Muslims in the class? We know how easy a bunch of fundies would find it to step on the Prophet's name - so just how would that develop Intercultural Communications?
    Oh please.

    Focus for one minute. There is more than one way to teach the value of words.

    Disrespecting any cultural icon or religious icon or symbol should be out of the question.

    What about a piece of paper with the name " Dr Martin Luther King " written on it ?

    Or Barrack Obama written on it ? The ass hat proffesor and the people responsible for the lesson plan I'm sure would find both of those alternatives racist and "hurtful".

    It very naive to think this is just an exercise in the value of words.

    Can you think of ANY better way to get the point of the lesson accross without attacking someone's faith ?

  7. #107
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    05-17-18 @ 10:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    30,560

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Oh please.

    Focus for one minute. There is more than one way to teach the value of words.

    Disrespecting any cultural icon or religious icon or symbol should be out of the question.

    What about a piece of paper with the name " Dr Martin Luther King " written on it ?

    Or Barrack Obama written on it ? The ass hat proffesor and the people responsible for the lesson plan I'm sure would find both of those alternatives racist and "hurtful".

    It very naive to think this is just an exercise in the value of words.

    Can you think of ANY better way to get the point of the lesson accross without attacking someone's faith ?
    I'd step on all of them, it doesn't matter to me because I recognize that they're just scratchings on a piece of paper.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! SpkOut me!

  8. #108
    Antichrist
    zgoldsmith23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    11-06-17 @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Disrespecting any cultural icon or religious icon or symbol should be out of the question.

    What about a piece of paper with the name " Dr Martin Luther King " written on it ?

    Or Barrack Obama written on it ? The ass hat proffesor and the people responsible for the lesson plan I'm sure would find both of those alternatives racist and "hurtful"
    Any of them work for me. Looky there, I'm being an adult and not butthurt.

    Can you think of ANY better way to get the point of the lesson accross without attacking someone's faith ?
    "Nothing is sacred"
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I've never denied my own hackish tendencies
    Quote Originally Posted by Pin dÁr View Post
    scientific by itself isn't enough of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Not all Nazis were bad people

  9. #109
    Is Idiot Supreme
    Davo The Mavo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-15-18 @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Dem Party official makes students ‘stomp on Jesus’

    A synopsis of the lesson plan in question, obtained by Fox News, goes like this:

    “Have the students write the name JESUS in big letters on a piece of paper Ask the students to stand up and put the paper on the floor in front of them with the name facing up. Ask the students to think about it for a moment. After a brief period of silence instruct them to step on the paper. Most will hesitate. Ask why they can’t step on the paper. Discuss the importance of symbols in culture.”
    After reading this synopsis and looking at the social media response to this class on symbolism, two things come to mind:
    1. See it really was a teaching moment.
    2. Irony.

    They didn't really stomp on Jesus.

  10. #110
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    06-17-18 @ 01:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,738

    Re: FAU Student Claims He Was Suspended For Refusing To Step On Jesus

    Quote Originally Posted by zgoldsmith23 View Post
    Any of them work for me. Looky there, I'm being an adult and not butthurt.




    "Nothing is sacred"
    Nothing youv'e posted as of yet has exceeded the ramblings of a 12 year old.

    I'm not convinced you know what adult behavior actually is.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •