Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    03-12-14 @ 04:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    143

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    If you live in the "black belt" in Alabama, there isn't a single full-time DMV in several adjacent counties. Fix those kinds of discrepancies and you fix the problem of access to IDs for the poor. We're not talking about widespread disenfranchisement efforts, instead it's a attempt to make voting less convenient in a manner that has a slightly disproportionate effect on democrats.

    My compromise? Have stations to issue those IDs right at the voting location. Same requirements to get any other ID, no cost to the individual, nobody has to make extra trips to a DMV open 4 days a month during work hours.[/QUOTE]

    Which leads me to ask why blacks so wholeheartedly support Democrats. I think your compromise is sound.

  2. #12
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Neosteve View Post
    So what would you have? Would you prefer that I walk into the voting place of my choice and cast a ballot at will? The political football is that people like you think that it is because the poor somehow will be disenfranchised by the showing of ID. The laws have to be written so a voter ID is free and easy to obtain, if that means we allocate some of our tax dollars to do this then so be it. There is so much waste in government that this cost could be offset without cutting the benefits to the poor stupid bastard that can't figure out how to get an ID. I would like to see some kind of competency test before some idiot gets to vote. Too many useful idiots in this country of ours.
    I have no problem at all requiring photo ID in order to vote, as long as the ID is provided free of charge by the Government. Otherwise, it constitutes a poll tax and is unconstitutional.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    03-12-14 @ 04:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    143

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have no problem at all requiring photo ID in order to vote, as long as the ID is provided free of charge by the Government. Otherwise, it constitutes a poll tax and is unconstitutional.
    I agree. We could pay for it by grounding Joe Biden.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have no problem at all requiring photo ID in order to vote, as long as the ID is provided free of charge by the Government. Otherwise, it constitutes a poll tax and is unconstitutional.
    Funny how the same people against paying for voter ID's because it "constitutes a poll tax" which is supposedly a tax put in place to restrict exercising a right yet are all for not only requiring those wanting to buy a gun pay taxes on that purchase but also want HIGHER taxes and additional taxes in the form of making them pay for things like CCW's, background checks and in some states registration of those guns.

    Hypocrits.

    And before you all get huffy about poll taxes only applying to voting just can it. Ultimately poll taxes were enacted to restrict a right. And ultimately SCOTUS struck it down as being a violation of the equal protection clause in the 14th amendment. If you seriously don't think that equal protection shouldn't apply to the right of the people to bear arms yet support it for requiring people to pay for ID's in order to vote then you are a hypocrit.

    BTW, this is not directed at you Dan, I just used your post for an example.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #15
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Funny how the same people against paying for voter ID's because it "constitutes a poll tax" which is supposedly a tax put in place to restrict exercising a right yet are all for not only requiring those wanting to buy a gun pay taxes on that purchase but also want HIGHER taxes and additional taxes in the form of making them pay for things like CCW's, background checks and in some states registration of those guns.

    Hypocrits.

    And before you all get huffy about poll taxes only applying to voting just can it. Ultimately poll taxes were enacted to restrict a right. And ultimately SCOTUS struck it down as being a violation of the equal protection clause in the 14th amendment. If you seriously don't think that equal protection shouldn't apply to the right of the people to bear arms yet support it for requiring people to pay for ID's in order to vote then you are a hypocrit.

    BTW, this is not directed at you Dan, I just used your post for an example.
    Poll taxes are explicitly unconstitutional as per the 24th amendment. The same is not true of gun registration taxes.

    Do you think gun registration fees were explicitly introduced to make people less likely to buy a gun? Or rather because bureaucracy costs money and politicians look bad when they raise taxes, so implementing "fees" is a quieter way of raising revenue? Because that's how I look at the myriad other fees we see at the state and federal level. Registering my car costs an arbitrary amount of money because the state wants more money but raising taxes is unpopular.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Poll taxes are explicitly unconstitutional as per the 24th amendment. The same is not true of gun registration taxes.

    Do you think gun registration fees were explicitly introduced to make people less likely to buy a gun? Or rather because bureaucracy costs money and politicians look bad when they raise taxes, so implementing "fees" is a quieter way of raising revenue? Because that's how I look at the myriad other fees we see at the state and federal level. Registering my car costs an arbitrary amount of money because the state wants more money but raising taxes is unpopular.
    Yes.........
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #17
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Yes.........
    Do you think the same about automobile registration? Marriage certificate applications? Insurance sales licensing?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #18
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Do you think the same about automobile registration?
    Not a right so irrelevent.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Marriage certificate applications?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Insurance sales licensing?
    Not a right so irrelevent.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #19
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Not a right so irrelevent.



    Yes.



    Not a right so irrelevent.
    It was a question of motivation, not of rights. Why are some fees designed at hindering an activity but others are not? And really, marriage license fees are designed to stop people from getting married? That's a new one.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #20
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,857
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Arkansas governor vetoes voter photo ID bill

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It was a question of motivation, not of rights. Why are some fees designed at hindering an activity but others are not? And really, marriage license fees are designed to stop people from getting married? That's a new one.
    So are you denying that there are laws that are designed to allow things yet discourage and or stop them also?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •