Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 151

Thread: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriage

  1. #131
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Perhaps thats the thing. I don't like the term "gay community" because in my mind it sort of legitimizes the division and therefore marginalization of homosexuals vs. heterosexuals. It goes against the "we are not so much different then you" by saying look at us and how different we are.

    In all fairness, I get equally pissed off at overt displays of religious zealotry. I see it as pretentious and strictly attention seeking.
    Well, any group that shares something in common, especially if it is something outside the mainstream, is going to form a community. And that such a group is marginalized makes a difference in how that community operates. Jews have a community. Star Trek fans have a community. Gays have a community. In each case, being oppressed in some form makes up part of that community's mentality. It's unavoidable. The way to bridge that gap is to not oppress them. I think you're mixing cause and effect here.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  2. #132
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,689

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Well, any group that shares something in common, especially if it is something outside the mainstream, is going to form a community. And that such a group is marginalized makes a difference in how that community operates. Jews have a community. Star Trek fans have a community. Gays have a community. In each case, being oppressed in some form makes up part of that community's mentality. It's unavoidable. The way to bridge that gap is to not oppress them. I think you're mixing cause and effect here.
    Hell, I belong to a community and have my entire life, just because we've been so isolated from mainstream society. Of course we're going to group together and potentially develop a group consciousness.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #133
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yeah, because the right is innocent correct? Gimme a break, the victim mentality from the right is getting a little old. Fact is if the right stopped arguing these things, they would be done and can move onto bigger things. Since the right wants to fight it, they themselves have chosen to make this the top priority over anything else.
    "Top priority"? I don't think so...So let's not be melodramatic k? I never said "the right was innocent", but you are certainly trying your hardest to place all the blame of this on the 'right', so I'd say that is classic projection on your part...You say, "if the right would stop arguing", well, wouldn't that just be the perfect world for you progressives, eh? One with no opposition to any of your ideas....Probably because liberal progressives think that 'compromise' means to see things their way. As for bigger things, you don't want to solve any of those either, because it takes away your ability to bash....So....Yeah....try again.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #134
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriage <-- hahaha




    Things could get real fun on the right over the next few years....
    Seems ol' Karl is trying to come back. Sorry. He's so crooked even his fingers don't point straight.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  5. #135
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Well, any group that shares something in common, especially if it is something outside the mainstream, is going to form a community. And that such a group is marginalized makes a difference in how that community operates. Jews have a community. Star Trek fans have a community. Gays have a community. In each case, being oppressed in some form makes up part of that community's mentality. It's unavoidable. The way to bridge that gap is to not oppress them. I think you're mixing cause and effect here.

    To use terms such as "oppression" for something like this I think diminishes those that were truly oppressed....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #136
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Seems ol' Karl is trying to come back. Sorry. He's so crooked even his fingers don't point straight.
    "Crooked" in what way?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #137
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    "Crooked" in what way?
    For Whom the Bell Polls: Karl Rove's Jig is Up | Crooks and Liars

    A study Wednesday by the Sunlight Foundation, which tracks political spending, concluded that Rove's super PAC, American Crossroads, had a success rate of just 1 percent on $103 million in attack ads -- one of the lowest "returns on investment" (ROIs) of any outside spending group in this year's elections.

    . . .

    The super donors didn't get much for their money. Six of the eight GOP Senate candidates that American Crossroads spent money to try to elect – Tommy Thompson in Wisconsin, George Allen in Virginia, Josh Mandel in Ohio, Richard Mourdock in Indiana, Denny Rehberg in Montana and Todd Akin in Missouri – lost their races, along with Romney. The group did, on the other hand, help to elect Deb Fischer in Nebraska and Dean Heller in Nevada.
    Perhaps con-artist is best expressed in this example.

    The Eclectic Radical: In Today's News: Karl Rove is a Crook...

    . . .
    To quote the Associated Press:

    "The documents show that staffers in Rove's office were actively seeking to have Iglesias removed after Republican figures in New Mexico complained that he was not pursuing voter fraud cases they wanted. In 2005, Rove aide Scott Jennings sent an e-mail to another Rove aide saying, "I would really like to move forward with getting rid of NM US ATTY.""



    Republicans in New Mexico wanted David Iglesias fired for not pursuing the cases they wanted pursued. They complained to Rove's office. Rove's staffers were eager to fire Iglesias. Rove spoke to White House Counsel Harriet Miers on the topic. Iglesias was fired. The circumstantial evidence in question is damning enough, and Miers careful choice of the words 'I don't recall' brings to mind the quasi-senile testimony of Ronald Reagan at the Iran-Contra hearings. As it turned out, President Reagan had a legitimate medical excuse. To the best of my knowledge, Miers does not. Remember that, in a court of law, the issue is whether a charge can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. To my mind, the Republican responses to the facts are not 'reasonable' by any stretch of the words.

    . . .
    Then we can go to the Iraq war lies.

    The Lies of Karl Rove

    oseph Goebbels, the leading propagandist of the Third Reich, believed in the power of the lie; the greater the lie, the greater the power. Goebbels would have loved Karl Rove's "Courage and Consequences: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight," a pastiche of lies, fabrications and distortions designed to rehabilitate the record of the Bush-Cheney years. There are too many lies to treat in this one column, but his greatest lie is that the Bush administration would not have invaded Iraq if it had known there were no weapons of mass destruction (WMD) there. Its corollary is that the administration did not lie about the presence of such weapons in Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

    In fact, the Bush administration mounted an intense six-month campaign to make sure that the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) produced "evidence" of WMD, and then made sure that such players as National Security Adviser Condoleeza Rice and Secretary of State Colin Powell parroted the administration's big lie to the American public and to the international community. President George W. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney and their acolytes Lewis "Scooter" Libby and Karl Rove desperately wanted to go to war against Iraq for reasons that have never been explained. As a result, they created and employed a strategic disinformation campaign to convince Congress and the American people of the need for war. Goebbels would have beamed.
    The crook.......IMHO.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  8. #138
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    For Whom the Bell Polls: Karl Rove's Jig is Up | Crooks and Liars



    Perhaps con-artist is best expressed in this example.

    The Eclectic Radical: In Today's News: Karl Rove is a Crook...



    Then we can go to the Iraq war lies.

    The Lies of Karl Rove



    The crook.......IMHO.
    Showing opinions of other left wing sites that absolutely hated anything to do with the Bush administration really doesn't impress me, nor does it show that the man is "crooked" as you claim. IF we are to believe your first site, it doesn't show corruption, it does however show that since starting a PAC, Rove's instincts in GOP prediction, or policy, suck. But, that isn't 'crooked', that is just being piss poor at his job...
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #139
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Showing opinions of other left wing sites that absolutely hated anything to do with the Bush administration really doesn't impress me, nor does it show that the man is "crooked" as you claim. IF we are to believe your first site, it doesn't show corruption, it does however show that since starting a PAC, Rove's instincts in GOP prediction, or policy, suck. But, that isn't 'crooked', that is just being piss poor at his job...
    Sorry, but that old argument of "liberal media" doesn't wash as a rebuttal to facts. These are facts. You have something that shows differently, feel free to post it. But these remain as facts presented by me to show how Karl Rove is a crook. Your opinion doesn't matter.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  10. #140
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Karl Rove: 'I Could' Imagine Next GOP Presidential Nominee Supporting Gay Marriag

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Sorry, but that old argument of "liberal media" doesn't wash as a rebuttal to facts. These are facts. You have something that shows differently, feel free to post it. But these remain as facts presented by me to show how Karl Rove is a crook. Your opinion doesn't matter.
    Dude, your sites go far beyond "liberal media"... Sorry, it isn't my obligation to go on a wild goose chase to try and educate you why a site like 'crooks and liars' is just not credible in serious circles...It would be different if we were talking about the LAtimes, or NYTimes or something, but the sites you are basing your opinion on are just as whacky as if I used Alex Jones to claim that Obama wanted to imprison his opposition and their families in concentration style FEMA camps....It's just laughable.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •