Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 109 of 109

Thread: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

  1. #101
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    At least Obama has money for the America hating Muslims that he loves so much. US unblocks $500 million in aid for Palestinians - Your Middle East
    Last edited by Ray410; 03-25-13 at 03:12 AM.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    At least Obama has money for the America hating Muslims that he loves so much. US unblocks $500 million in aid for Palestinians - Your Middle East
    He does seem to be throwing Money away overseas these last 2 weeks. Just add that onto the 200 million he is offering Jordan so that they can take care of Syrian Refugees. Throw in 60 Mil to the Syria Rebels. 50 Mil to Mali. 485 mil to Egypt.

    Now Kerry is over in Iraq talking to them. So more than likely Team Obama will offer them several million while telling them don't let Iran Use your Airspace. The Iraqis will smile say thank you for the money. Then let Iran still keeping using its Airspace.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You seem to have missed the part where they were cutting "bureaucrats."
    No, they are cutting the jobs of people who were on the front lines, not those who shuffle papers. That's the way it goes in these games.

  4. #104
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,313

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    The government can afford to buy several billion rounds of hollow point ammo, and a load of full auto rifles for DHS (what is the Army for?), but it cannot afford to keep certain towers open or certain social programs for the needy going?

    Love them bureaucrats!

  5. #105
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    No, they are cutting the jobs of people who were on the front lines, not those who shuffle papers.
    Not quite.

    Almost everyone at the FAA is getting furloughed, including management.

    They're cutting ATC at these small airports because they're contractors (and easier to let go), because those airports have low volume, and because it means fewer furloughs / layoffs for ATC at the major airports.

    The sequestration law also didn't give agency heads all that much latitude; it requires across-the-board cuts for the agencies. For the nth time: The sequestration was never designed to be an intelligent budget cut that targets waste. It was intentionally designed to be a big enough cut that no rational person would want it to go through. And yet, here we are.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Not quite.

    Almost everyone at the FAA is getting furloughed, including management.

    They're cutting ATC at these small airports because they're contractors (and easier to let go), because those airports have low volume, and because it means fewer furloughs / layoffs for ATC at the major airports.

    The sequestration law also didn't give agency heads all that much latitude; it requires across-the-board cuts for the agencies. For the nth time: The sequestration was never designed to be an intelligent budget cut that targets waste. It was intentionally designed to be a big enough cut that no rational person would want it to go through. And yet, here we are.
    Obama didn't see it coming?

  7. #107
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Obama didn't see it coming?
    Obama helped put the law together, signed it into law, and has been warning about it since mid-2011.

    The Republicans knew about it as well, and for most of the time they didn't want it either. However, they expected Romney to win the election, in which case they could modify the budget as they wished. And, let's face it, they've been throwing collective snits about Obama since January 19, 2009. Even before he was in office, Republicans were insisting they were going to kill his agenda and make him a one-term President.

    When Obama was re-elected, they were forced to raise a handful of taxes on the wealthy in January. They continued their extended temper tantrum, and decided they'd rather deal with sequestration cuts than pass another tax hike.

    In addition, Obama was saying as early as August 2011 that he wasn't going to modify the law and blunt its effect.

    So I'd say that while everyone should have seen this far enough in advance to avoid it, no one (from either party) really expected it to happen until a few weeks before it actually hit. Nor is "insufficient notice" the fundamental problem.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Obama helped put the law together, signed it into law, and has been warning about it since mid-2011.

    The Republicans knew about it as well, and for most of the time they didn't want it either. However, they expected Romney to win the election, in which case they could modify the budget as they wished. And, let's face it, they've been throwing collective snits about Obama since January 19, 2009. Even before he was in office, Republicans were insisting they were going to kill his agenda and make him a one-term President.

    When Obama was re-elected, they were forced to raise a handful of taxes on the wealthy in January. They continued their extended temper tantrum, and decided they'd rather deal with sequestration cuts than pass another tax hike.

    In addition, Obama was saying as early as August 2011 that he wasn't going to modify the law and blunt its effect.

    So I'd say that while everyone should have seen this far enough in advance to avoid it, no one (from either party) really expected it to happen until a few weeks before it actually hit. Nor is "insufficient notice" the fundamental problem.
    So Obama saw it coming but decided not to act.

  9. #109
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:28 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: FAA to Close 149 Air Traffic Towers Under Cuts......

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So Obama saw it coming but decided not to act.
    I'd say that Obama, Boehner and many others saw it coming, and failed to reach a compromise.

    Both parties are responsible, but I for one lay much more blame on the Republicans than Obama. They've repeatedly shown their intransigence and refusal to compromise, even after losing an election when Obama was very clear on his intentions to raise taxes (mostly on the wealthy) as well as cut spending.

    I'd also say if we were at 90% top marginal tax rates, or 75% or even 60%, I'd agree that tax hikes on the wealthy would not be acceptable. Considering that the effective tax rate for top earners is below 20%, and that a great deal of their income is from capital gains, I'd say that bumping up their rates by a modest amount is not an ethical or practical disaster.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •