Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 405

Thread: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

  1. #151
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,562

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That is all true, but when you have a group of people who feel and are convinced by others who are highly respectful members of their community that they are victims and need to "fight back" stuff like this is what happens IMO, along with things like home invasions, thievery, etc.
    Agreed. As long as there are people like Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, there will always be racism. They are definitely part of the problem, and not part of the solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaAdonis View Post
    A white woman kills her child and says an African-American is responsible? Nah, couldn't be.

    I'm telling you guys, Brunswick is a plantation community.
    LOL, good gawd you're pathetic.

    And what's your excuse for south side Chicago these days?

  3. #153
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    If they are found guilty, they deserve the highest sentence allowable.

    That said, this whole story doesn't ring true with me. The only thing that has been consistent is the fact that there is a dead baby, and someone shot the poor little thing. The mother seems... off. If I'd just seen someone slaughter my baby, I wouldn't be giving long, rambling interviews within hours. Everything she said seemed so practiced, so nonsensical (the way she made a big deal of running into a driveway with her baby, after the perps had left instead of screaming for help, for example). She seemed more nervous than griefstricken... then again, people deal with grief differently.

    All I know is that when I saw her, my brain whispered "shades of Susan Smith." If the police can't find the murder weapon and tie it to their "suspects", you can color me skeptical about the entire quick-turnaround arrest based on... well, based on nothing that's been made public beyond they fit the descriptions.

    Yeah, I'm cynical. I know. But I'll wait and see what happens on this, because I'm not getting the "aha, justice will now be done" vibe.
    I'm sorry, but I'm cynical as well. This is an extremely emotional and high-profile case. The pressure on the police to solve it is HUGE. Sure, it's possible these two may indeed bu guilty, but it's also possible a case is being built around them because LE needs to do something and get people off their back. The latter is in no way as uncommon as we would like to think.

    And yes, I thought of Susan Smith as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    Hey dude, I know this. Apart from some rare examples, whenever a black family makes it out of the hood and moves to the primarily white suburbs, guess what? You see a transformation take place. They see, eventually that all those stereotypes about distrust of whites is mostly a myth. They then begin to integrate. The effect is mutually rewarding to both cultures in-that, whites begin to trust and even become friends with neighbors that they wouldn't otherwise normally associate with, and the black family begins to realize that not all whites hate them, in fact, they're mostly indifferent and like most American's, they judge not based on your color, but on your character. The reason blacks from the hood keeps perpetuating the myths is that blacks busing in to white neighborhoods to work at McDonald's or wherever, are met at the checkout terminal with skeptical white customers, and there is this uneasy truce, but both sides know each other is distrustful of the other, and nothing in the transaction makes any of it go away. In short, these brief encounters don't last long enough to have any affect on the cultural divide, and the attitudes continue. Whites bitch about the service from the black kid with the attitude, their clothing choices, they're demeanor, and blacks bitch about the fussy white folks with their attitude and demeanor. Sound familiar?

    The key to all of this is assimilation through integration, but politicians are all too comfortable keeping both sides skeptical of each other, as it benefits both constituencies politically, but not, in the end, as we see now, materially. All one needs to do is look at Canada where the black populations are about the same as in the US, however, unlike the US, Canada, even in the larger cities like T.O. do not have predominately black neighborhoods. Assimilation, for the most part has taken place, and neither culture has had time to foster stereotypes and distrust of the other because there typically isn't any large enough groups of any one particular demographic to help kindle that inevitable outcome.


    That's my take on it anyway. Plus, we all know black kids can learn just fine, we've proven that time and again. So you're right, it's more than just education. It's cultural!


    Tim-
    Great post Tim! I agree totally. In my small town growing up, there weren't very many African American kids around, maybe like 3 in my whole school, but they were always accepted with open arms by my community. They were very nice kids and never caused any problems and we all got along just fine for the most part.

  5. #155
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:20 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I actually thought about that. And yes, her eyes -- she was "crying," but no tears were coming out. Odd. If my baby had been shot in the face, I would be inconsolable.
    While I am very skeptical this happened the way she says it did, it should be noted that not all people act/react the same way to the same things. You might be inconsolable, but someone else might just be numb and outwardly emotionless.
    Last edited by radcen; 03-25-13 at 11:43 AM.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Great post Tim! I agree totally. In my small town growing up, there weren't very many African American kids around, maybe like 3 in my whole school, but they were always accepted with open arms by my community. They were very nice kids and never caused any problems and we all got along just fine for the most part.
    See, this is the really tricky part though, and something that needs addressing. You can't simply force this kind of integration, and by force I mean politically through "programs", well intentioned to be sure, but not well thought out. You can't simply place a bunch of blacks into the suburbs and expect assimilation because you've magically put blacks and whites together. What happens then is two things. When the whites (who are themselves equally guilty of distrust and stereotyping) start to see the color of their neighborhood turn, they will move out. Secondly, what happens when you have an influx of blacks into the suburbs is the creation of another hood all over again. There's no magic recipe at all and I do not profess to know exactly what the limits are, but, I do know that, in the end if we can manage to peacefully adopt this kind of long-term plan for all cultural demographics, we'd all be better off. No longer can American's see themselves are white and black, and separate. Neither is going away anytime soon, so we better begin to think seriously about how we're going to deal with it. We need to have these honest and open debates, NOT throw money at the problem as politicians are all too eager to do, but seriously talk about it openly and invite input from the true leaders of each competing philosophy.


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  7. #157
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    See, this is the really tricky part though, and something that needs addressing. You can't simply force this kind of integration, and by force I mean politically through "programs", well intentioned to be sure, but not well thought out. You can't simply place a bunch of blacks into the suburbs and expect assimilation because you've magically put blacks and whites together. What happens then is two things. When the whites (who are themselves equally guilty of distrust and stereotyping) start to see the color of their neighborhood turn, they will move out. Secondly, what happens when you have an influx of blacks into the suburbs is the creation of another hood all over again. There's no magic recipe at all and I do not profess to know exactly what the limits are, but, I do know that, in the end if we can manage to peacefully adopt this kind of long-term plan for all cultural demographics, we'd all be better off. No longer can American's see themselves are white and black, and separate. Neither is going away anytime soon, so we better begin to think seriously about how we're going to deal with it. We need to have these honest and open debates, NOT throw money at the problem as politicians are all too eager to do, but seriously talk about it openly and invite input from the true leaders of each competing philosophy.


    Tim-
    One thing that has to be done, especially in high risk danger zones, like Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, etc...is education, and not from some white progressive with a piled high and deep degree either, but a real effort from the very people that these kids look up to....Rappers, adults they respect, and starting in elementary school.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #158
    Professor
    Tettsuo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 02:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Brown eyes are dominate, blue recessive. Apparently the whole thing is rather complex: "The model cannot, for example, explain how blue eyed parents can have a brown eyed child. Yet this can and does happen (although it isn’t common)."



    Apparently it's more complicated than that, too. Back in the day, I was taught that blue eyes in a child could only occur if both parents had the recessive gene, and that brown eyes could not carry the recessive gene. Apparently, it can. *sigh* Technology has surpassed my education. Again.

    How Blue Eyed Parents Can Have Brown Eyed Children | Understanding Genetics
    Not complex at all. If you and your partner have the recessive gene for blue eyes (you can have the gene even if your eyes are brown) a child with different colored eyes can result.
    A man without fear is a fool, a man that succumbs to his fear is a coward and a brave man acknowledges fear yet presses on.
    http://soulinblackandwhite.blogspot.com/

  9. #159
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    I don't know if anybody mentioned this but I heard yesterday they didn't just pick up two kids at random.

    This happened during school hours so they went to see who was absent at that time and they investigated from there.

    I will wait to see what happens next.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Police arrest 2 teens in georgia baby's killing

    Quote Originally Posted by Tettsuo View Post
    Not complex at all. If you and your partner have the recessive gene for blue eyes (you can have the gene even if your eyes are brown) a child with different colored eyes can result.
    The baby's older half sister has two different color eyes.

Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •