Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 136

Thread: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

  1. #81
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    So how do you propose integrating back into society a former criminal who is broke and knows only how to make money criminally?
    According to you, they learned a trade in the joint and can get a job when they get out.

    Plenty of people in this country find themselves broke and unemployed and don't break the law to make money, so spare me the boo-hoo crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #82
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    if they cost more and are ineffective then that would suggest management problems and the State needn't deal with that particular company. Or perhaps they can take harder criminals and other go elsewhere. Or vice versa. But is an outright ban necessary, or even legal?
    They will always be more expensive. They simply take what the state does, do the same thing and add a profit margin. Then to expand profit margins, which corporations always have to do (because good profit isn't enough... it always has to be more than last quarter's profit margin), cut corners and make the place less secure and more dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  3. #83
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    Really? I think you've seen too much TV. For gangs and for hard core criminals, they will be back in NOT because they love prison, but because they are in gangs. For the majority of three strike prisoners, they just want to do their time and get out of there. if we don't train them and get them started, they will be back in. You DO know it costs us to house these prisoners, right? Even and especially if the prisons are privatized?
    Hence the reason I believe that prisons should be more self sufficient and reduce operating costs AND teaching prisoners how to do a days work.

    If anything, criminals lack work ethic. They need to learn how to work from daylight to dark, so they can apply that work ethic in the real world. Learning a trade doesn't mean jack, if they don't get their asses up in the morning and go work all day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #84
    Sage
    poweRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    35,066

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    According to you, they learned a trade in the joint and can get a job when they get out.
    And according to you, **** 'em. I'm talking about YOUR prison designs, not mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst
    Plenty of people in this country find themselves broke and unemployed and don't break the law to make money, so spare me the boo-hoo crap.
    It's not boo-hoo crap... it's a simple question that you apparently refuse to address.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    The sad fact is that having a pedophile win is better than having a Democrat in office. I'm all for a solution where a Republican gets in that isn't Moore.

  5. #85
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:09 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,968

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't think they should get paid, unless of course the prison is producing goods and turns a profit. At that point, I could see the prisoners getting a share of the profits, to be put into a savings account accesible after their release.
    So basically, you think that prisoners should not have proper living standards, not have access to rehabilitation, should work the fields all day, and not get paid. Tell me, what do you think is going to happen when prisoners in such a system are released?

    The recidivism rate in the U.S. is 60%. Your plan would do nothing to reduce that.

    There is really no point in having this discussion with you because your views are based on punitive revenge, an emotional appeal. Not to mention you support slavery.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    According to you, they learned a trade in the joint and can get a job when they get out.

    Plenty of people in this country find themselves broke and unemployed and don't break the law to make money, so spare me the boo-hoo crap.
    Look at the statistics, the present penal system is a failure by every measure, excerpt for increasing the number of incarcerated people. We now incarcerate a greater portion of the people in the USA (Land of the Free?) than any nation in the world. There is plenty of evidence that privatizing prisons is a not a solution, and there is a significant danger that if allowed to expand, the private prison industry would have too much political power for the penal system to serve the public interest.

  7. #87
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    So basically, you think that prisoners should not have proper living standards, not have access to rehabilitation, should work the fields all day, and not get paid. Tell me, what do you think is going to happen when prisoners in such a system are released?

    The recidivism rate in the U.S. is 60%. Your plan would do nothing to reduce that.

    There is really no point in having this discussion with you because your views are based on punitive revenge, an emotional appeal. Not to mention you support slavery.

    SOunds to me like all the things you propose are already being done and 60% of the prisoners in your system are coming back to jail. YOUR proposals are failing miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #88
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Look at the statistics, the present penal system is a failure by every measure, excerpt for increasing the number of incarcerated people. We now incarcerate a greater portion of the people in the USA (Land of the Free?) than any nation in the world. There is plenty of evidence that privatizing prisons is a not a solution[, and there is a significant danger that if allowed to expand, the private prison industry would have too much political power for the penal system to serve the public interest.
    How many GODDAMN times do I have to say that I never said prisons should be privatized?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #89
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Hence the reason I believe that prisons should be more self sufficient and reduce operating costs AND teaching prisoners how to do a days work.

    If anything, criminals lack work ethic. They need to learn how to work from daylight to dark, so they can apply that work ethic in the real world. Learning a trade doesn't mean jack, if they don't get their asses up in the morning and go work all day.

    You really have this narrow right wing view of people who end up in prison. Again, way too much TV.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  10. #90
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    SOunds to me like all the things you propose are already being done and 60% of the prisoners in your system are coming back to jail. YOUR proposals are failing miserably.
    There's no rehabilitation going on in prisons now. They lack funds to do it, is the excuse right before the state privatizes and then pays the private corporations three times the amount the state was paying to actually rehabilitate prisoners before the cutbacks.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •