Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 136

Thread: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-29-14 @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Major kudos to the New Hampshire House. Hopefully this will push through the rest of the state government and then go viral to other states.


    House votes to prohibit prison privatization, bill moves to Senate for review

    The House on Thursday voted to forbid the executive branch from privatizing the state prison system, saying that to do so would shirk the stateís constitutional responsibility to rehabilitate inmates.

    The 197-136 roll call by the Democratic -controlled House sent House Bill 443 to the Senate, where Republicans hold a slim, 13-11 majority and the billís fate is uncertain, at best.
    I don't know what a private prison is. Not to mention prison is not about "rehabilitation" it's about punishment and paying your debt to society.

  2. #42
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Doesn't work.

    Increases in staff to supervise/prevent escape offset any savings.
    It used to work. All of a sudden it doesn't? Yeah, that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  3. #43
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,999

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Major kudos to the New Hampshire House. Hopefully this will push through the rest of the state government and then go viral to other states.


    House votes to prohibit prison privatization, bill moves to Senate for review

    The House on Thursday voted to forbid the executive branch from privatizing the state prison system, saying that to do so would shirk the stateís constitutional responsibility to rehabilitate inmates.

    The 197-136 roll call by the Democratic -controlled House sent House Bill 443 to the Senate, where Republicans hold a slim, 13-11 majority and the billís fate is uncertain, at best.
    Nice one!

  4. #44
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    41,999

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    A little bit? They should be entirely about rehabilitation. That's the entire point. We don't want people becoming better criminals in jails. We want them to get out and become productive citizens.
    100% agree. If the focus is overwhelming on the punitive over the rehabilitative, then you'd better prepare to hold them for life, because otherwise they're going to leave prison a whole lot crappier than when they entered.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,158
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    It used to work. All of a sudden it doesn't? Yeah, that makes sense.
    Its always worked with low level inmates.

    You want to extend it to.ALL inmates.

    Nobody in a penitentiary worked on the farm.

    Chain gangs won't work for farm labor.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #46
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    85,140

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Its always worked with low level inmates.

    You want to extend it to.ALL inmates.

    Nobody in a penitentiary worked on the farm.

    Chain gangs won't work for farm labor.
    Angola is a penientiary.
    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    So there is absolutely no evidence this woman, whom you called a slut, did this but you are ready to take someone's word as evidence. Guess you don't think witch hunts have to end when it's going after the certain people.

  7. #47
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,420

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't know what a private prison is. Not to mention prison is not about "rehabilitation" it's about punishment and paying your debt to society.

    So the point of prisons is to help criminals network and learn how to make better plans for not getting caught?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-29-14 @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Its always worked with low level inmates.

    You want to extend it to.ALL inmates.

    Nobody in a penitentiary worked on the farm.

    Chain gangs won't work for farm labor.
    Back when I was 18 I got busted for a boat load of weed and ended up pleading to a crime I didn't commit (that had nothing to do with what I was really guilty of), they sent me to a minimum security "work camp" and I can tell you we certainly did work out in the community doing public works projects (mowing fields, trash pickup, setting up community fairs, painting buildings etc) although it wasn't "farming" it was still work. We got paid tho - like .75 cents an hour. They didn't work us to death and we weren't chained together. As a matter of fact it was about as good as it could get considering I was in "prison." It was all free movement - it was pretty much a compound with a fence around it with three dorms....

    Of course the "prison" (if you want to call it that) was profiting off our labor... So I'm sure they had private contracts with the community but I don't know if that is considered "privatizing."

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-29-14 @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    So the point of prisons is to help criminals network and learn how to make better plans for not getting caught?
    I don't think that's the plan but it certainly is the end result if one ends up in a "real prison." Yes, hardened criminals teach other harden criminals new tricks - they do nothing to rehabilitate anyone in those places...

    How the hell are you going to rehabilitate someone if they're stuck in a cell 23 hours a day for years on end?

    All the prisons do is separate low risk inmates from moderate and high risk inmates... The low risk inmates (who are generally doing a few months or a couple years) are shipped to work camps, and in return for their work and good behavior they have the maximum amount of freedom. But those guys are generally not "criminals" and the majority learn their lesson and never return.
    Last edited by Mr.Nick; 03-23-13 at 01:08 PM.

  10. #50
    Rule of Two
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,459

    Re: New Hampshire House Votes To Prohibit Private Prisons

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Nevermind that Jimmy broke the law. Right?
    What does that have to do with the government taking financial responsibility for the laws it creates!?!?! If somebody breaks the law, it doesn't give the government the green light to pass them off to a private company for campaign contributions in the future.
    Peace is a lie. There is only Passion. Through Passion I gain Strength. Through Strength I gain Power. Through Power I gain Victory. Through Victory my chains are Broken. The Force shall free me.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •