Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 122

Thread: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by babilfish View Post
    You didn't really read the article.

    Okay.
    i am pretty sure when the article said disability was poorly defined and often goes by the subjective judgements of doctors it was saying it was not running a tight ship. Perhaps you should read the article.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    I have a friend who's aunt is a welfare/disability/government handout whore. She actually quit a job because she made so much money that she couldn't get "her full benefits." How did she know this? THE F'N WELFARE WORKER TOLD HER! That's right, the g'damn government employee pushed her BACK onto the government payouts!

    Record spending and record dependency. Anyone else see a correlation? I mean, it isn't like conservatives predicted this or anything.
    When you are right for the wrong reasons, you just look foolish. I mean it's not like liberals didn't predict that we would have record dependency and record debts. We certainly did know this would happen. We just also knew, correctly, that it would be the consequence of an economy that is not generating enough jobs. Conservatives have this fantasy that it is largely because current dependent people are lazy.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  3. #43
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    497

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Really? Where did you read that?
    Which answer do you think would make him sound less insane?

    "I heard on right wing talk radio that American healthcare is #1 in the world." or "The voices in my head told me it was safe to eat my own feces, American healthcare is #1 in the world."

  4. #44
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Genetics... No. ****ty parents. Yes. Isn't it amaaaaaaaaazing how families that promote education and hardwork for the most part has successful children, even those immigrant families, legal or otherwise.

    Always an excuse. Always someone else's fault.
    Statistics to back this up? I know a ton of hard working poor people who've never gotten anywhere. Blue collars mostly. Work 60-70 hour weeks just to get a week off every year. Education? $15K a year tuition averages? Good luck affording that if your family is a bunch of poor suckers working 8-5s just to make ends meet. Oh, then there's the military - yeah, vets finding jobs seems to be a problem. So what are the options VanceMack? Wishful thinking and pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps while going up a stair case? Heard it all before.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 03-24-13 at 06:13 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #45
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-14 @ 09:29 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    360

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    i am pretty sure when the article said disability was poorly defined and often goes by the subjective judgements of doctors it was saying it was not running a tight ship. Perhaps you should read the article.
    Oh, so you too didn't read the article?

    Well, that's fine (I guess) but I wish you'd just come out and admit that you didn't read it.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/





    I found this quite an eye opening article. Quite a failure of our social security/welfare/disability system where private companies are cooking-the-books at the welfare office and children are being held back in order to receive disability benefits.

    Perhaps, it's time for an overhaul of SS/disability?
    Disability insurance for those too young to work should only pay for medically necessary benefits required to help a child overcome his/her disability. It should not be a check for the parent to live off of.

  7. #47
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Statistics to back this up? I know a ton of hard working poor people who've never gotten anywhere. Blue collars mostly. Work 60-70 hour weeks just to get a week off every year. Education? $15K a year tuition averages? Good luck affording that if your family is a bunch of poor suckers working 8-5s just to make ends meet. Oh, then there's the military - yeah, vets finding jobs seems to be a problem. So what are the options VanceMack? Wishful thinking and pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps while going up a stair case? Heard it all before.
    That's an excuse to keep otherwise good people dependent on the government....Let me fill you in....My situation is that which you describe here...Although my wife and I have a nice home, and both work, I about 60 to 70 hours per week, and my wife 40, we get by week to week with little left over. In earlier years, partly because of poor decisions, and partly because of lack of higher education to gain better jobs, we struggled most of our lives. There was no way that we could afford to send our kids to collage, but what we can do is provide a good home for them to stay in, and help with lessor things to take the burden off of them, freeing them to through student loans, and scholarships go to collage. My daughter is working full time as a CNA, and putting herself through nursing school, and my son is also working full time and putting himself through collage to be a teacher. Both professions are not high octane money makers, but with their determination they will succeed. And both will graduate with less than 30K in loan debt. Don't tell me that others can't do it...I won't accept that.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's an excuse to keep otherwise good people dependent on the government....Let me fill you in....My situation is that which you describe here...Although my wife and I have a nice home, and both work, I about 60 to 70 hours per week, and my wife 40, we get by week to week with little left over. In earlier years, partly because of poor decisions, and partly because of lack of higher education to gain better jobs, we struggled most of our lives. There was no way that we could afford to send our kids to collage, but what we can do is provide a good home for them to stay in, and help with lessor things to take the burden off of them, freeing them to through student loans, and scholarships go to collage. My daughter is working full time as a CNA, and putting herself through nursing school, and my son is also working full time and putting himself through collage to be a teacher. Both professions are not high octane money makers, but with their determination they will succeed. And both will graduate with less than 30K in loan debt. Don't tell me that others can't do it...I won't accept that.
    I always find it funny how those who expect people like yourself to throw in the towel are usually the ones who never really "work" a day in their life.

  9. #49
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I always find it funny how those who expect people like yourself to throw in the towel are usually the ones who never really "work" a day in their life.
    I don't blame anyone for the mistakes I made with my life other than myself, and after realizing that, and some pretty hard times, we clawed our way back to the middle class through hard work, and it was a good lesson learned. One that the kids watched, took in, and are better for having gone through it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #50
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Unfit For Work: The Startling Rise Of Disability In America

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    I always find it funny how those who expect people like yourself to throw in the towel are usually the ones who never really "work" a day in their life.
    I think some over generalize too much, and may see their own battles as more difficult than they were, and not a good comparison to others.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •