Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: At Least 200,000 People Want CNN to Apologize for Its Sympathetic Steubenville Covera

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Maybe some of us are cynical and recognize that many people probably cry and lose it when they are sentenced. It does not actually make me feel sympathy. Sympathy is a much different emotion than pity for the consequences of a really stupid crime they had a choice about doing. It is sad and pathetic those boys did that. them crying over it makes it more pathetic. Can you please point me to a phrase that says the boys should have gotten less punishment, or that they got screwed over by being charged with rape? Just because they cried doesn't mean i feel sympathy for them. yes, when you want truth in broadcasting you did get a bit of it here. Of course they feel sorry, their lives are screwed. If that bawling apology came right after the crime I might buy that it might be real, but they took to making fun of her right after.

    People want to dance around and celebrate the destruction of the lives of these boys because it makes them feel better about something they cannot change. It helps you to enjoy their pain because then you think that justice has been served and nothing else needs to be done. Still, tomorrow the victim will have to live with the same thing again. No amount of punishment takes that away. Not that they should not be punished, but the only reason you want them top be punished is because you want to think something can take the pain away for the victim. You don't want the boys to be seen as sorry, you want them to be hurt. The sorry part got in the way of the warm fuzzy you would feel if they just broke down crying. Just enjoy their tears and remember that part of you is just like the part in them when they decided to revel in their crime the day after just for the sake of causing their victim more pain. embrace your dark side and quit complaining because it disturbs you.
    Did you watch the report? How much of it was it dedicated to displaying the victims' side of the story? Not much... it was a subpart of displaying the story of these so-called "promising" young boys. Promising rapists and gangbangers maybe. The whole story was a sham, a disgraceful display of journalism.

    It doesn't make me happy that their lives are being "destroyed", but you know what is sadder? That they did it to themselves by being a bunch of gang rapists. It's a pretty safe bet that if they wouldn't be put in jail, they would go out and destroy the lives of many other innocent girls, as the victims' life was more destroyed by that event than these guys.

    Also, there was no mention of the word "rapists" or "violator" or "gang rapists" as it would be correct. They never used it. "these 2 young men that had promising future, good students, star football players, etc". "both were found guilty of raping at alcohol infused parties". The correct phrase would have been "these 2 gang rapists" period. And then the whole father son thing.
    At the end: these two juveniles are brought out; The correct phrase would have been: both juvenile deliquents; both criminals; both rapists; and such.

    This was biased reporting, and there was NO time spent on how the victim felt, on what the victim experienced, on her trauma of being gang raped, just these 2 criminals. That's all. They were all that mattered. Their trauma. The Onion did an amazing job at making a video mocking the CNN. Candy fatface and that other reporter need to get fired.

    And furthermore, I don't know what your last phrases meant, but I am not reveling at all. I am angry that justice has not been served. 1year and 2 years for rape and they don't even get sent to prison, but a juvenile correction facility? Really? This is not justice. this is a disgrace, this is fallacy. But that is on the topic of how messed up the legal system is. They deserve long years in prison and a sex offender label stamped on their foreheads.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    They were just confused because the rapists were black and nobody told them who they should be rooting for. I blame the sequester.
    It must be a really grey world you live in. Like there's a constant storm front or something. I mean, you just seem to see the world in such black & white terms.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #13
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    At Least 200,000 People Want CNN to Apologize for Its Sympathetic Steubenville Coverage - Adam Clark Estes - The Atlantic Wire

    Now, this isn't about the trial. In my opinion, both the guys deserved to be tried in a real court, not juvenile court and their sentences of 1-2 years in juvenile correction facility is too little. What they did is gang rape and it should be condemned with the full force of the law, as well as be labelled sex offenders and be targetted for life. If you differ, fine, but this topic primarily about CNN.

    CNN covered this story accusing the victim and being favorable towards the rapists. I mean really, this is a new low, and congrats to the viewers of CNN for standing up and demanding that this sad excuse for a news network apologise and never repeat the same mistakes as it did, and I think they should demand that candy crawley and all the people who covered this event in such light, get fired. I mean this is just horrible. Just horrible.

    CNN is supposed to be the balanced network, the more fair network... a more... correct and reliable news site coverage site than the hyper partisan ones like NBC and MSNBC on one hand, Fox on the other.

    But nooo... they lament the sentencing to a very light sentence of 2 rapists who gang raped a girl at a party and took pictures. don't tell me this wasn't intentional, it was fully intentional and CNN messed up. It shouldn't have been sympathetic towards the victim either, it should have been fair and balanced and present the facts as they were. Not try and produce sympathy for the rapists.
    I found nothing untoward about the news coverage. If people found it somehow "sympathetic" to the rapists, then it's because it's a sad story of two young boys who made terrible decisions and . . . it IS sad. It IS sad that one of the boys lived with guardians and had a father who wasn't in his life. It IS sad that these two guys will have to live with being on the sex offender list for the rest of their lives.

    This was a news story covering their sentencing, not the crime itself. It was a big story, huge story, in a little town. America was watching. I just hope America got the message.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I found nothing untoward about the news coverage. If people found it somehow "sympathetic" to the rapists, then it's because it's a sad story of two young boys who made terrible decisions and . . . it IS sad. It IS sad that one of the boys lived with guardians and had a father who wasn't in his life. It IS sad that these two guys will have to live with being on the sex offender list for the rest of their lives.

    This was a news story covering their sentencing, not the crime itself. It was a big story, huge story, in a little town. America was watching. I just hope America got the message.
    You know what is not sad? the fact that there are people who manage to go though life without being rapists.
    In fact, most of the people do that. There is no sympathy in the sympathy bank for people who willingly commit a crime. Because this is a willful action, they even took pictures to brag about it. There are plenty of people who live in orphanages and such and end up being ok people.

    This isn't even a case of "well, we can't prove anything, but we think they're guilty". We know they are guilty. There is ample evidence to support it.

    Mistakes are when you walk in on a girl who is changing her clothes. You say: oops, sorry, close the door and apologize. This was not a mistake.

    This was a news story covering the sentencing for a crime they did. And they were never reffered to as rapists, violators or any other correct denomination to suit their new found identity. They were only referred to as promising young students, juveniles, teenagers.

  5. #15
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    You know what is not sad? the fact that there are people who manage to go though life without being rapists.
    In fact, most of the people do that. There is no sympathy in the sympathy bank for people who willingly commit a crime. Because this is a willful action, they even took pictures to brag about it. There are plenty of people who live in orphanages and such and end up being ok people.

    This isn't even a case of "well, we can't prove anything, but we think they're guilty". We know they are guilty. There is ample evidence to support it.

    Mistakes are when you walk in on a girl who is changing her clothes. You say: oops, sorry, close the door and apologize. This was not a mistake.

    This was a news story covering the sentencing for a crime they did. And they were never reffered to as rapists, violators or any other correct denomination to suit their new found identity. They were only referred to as promising young students, juveniles, teenagers.
    They were tried in juvenile court for a reason. Otherwise good kids (and they were) did a terrible thing under the influence of alcohol. 16- and 17-year-olds' brains aren't fully cooked. That's why they are tried as juvies. I saw nothing wrong with the report on their sentencing. If it was sympathetic to the rapists, it's because it's a sad damned story.

    Are these two young men alone in their responsibility for this crime? No, they're not. Where did they get the alcohol? Whose homes were they at when this on-going incident occurred? What parents/adults looked the other way while a bunch of teens got blasted?

    Personally? I hope some adults are called to answer for their crimes here.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They were tried in juvenile court for a reason. Otherwise good kids (and they were) did a terrible thing under the influence of alcohol. 16- and 17-year-olds' brains aren't fully cooked. That's why they are tried as juvies. I saw nothing wrong with the report on their sentencing. If it was sympathetic to the rapists, it's because it's a sad damned story.

    Are these two young men alone in their responsibility for this crime? No, they're not. Where did they get the alcohol? Whose homes were they at when this on-going incident occurred? What parents/adults looked the other way while a bunch of teens got blasted?

    Personally? I hope some adults are called to answer for their crimes here.
    I could not care less about the CNN part of the story but I agree with your assessment of the entire sad situation. One bad decision while under the influence of alcohol and your life can be ruined not to mention the other people your bad decision can effect, the girl in this instance.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    They were tried in juvenile court for a reason. Otherwise good kids (and they were) did a terrible thing under the influence of alcohol. 16- and 17-year-olds' brains aren't fully cooked. That's why they are tried as juvies. I saw nothing wrong with the report on their sentencing. If it was sympathetic to the rapists, it's because it's a sad damned story.

    Are these two young men alone in their responsibility for this crime? No, they're not. Where did they get the alcohol? Whose homes were they at when this on-going incident occurred? What parents/adults looked the other way while a bunch of teens got blasted?

    Personally? I hope some adults are called to answer for their crimes here.
    Agreed.

    16 yrs old is old enough to know what is morally right and what is morally wrong, not to mention legally. Most kids seem pass through that age without having to do any crimes, let alone rape. The fact that these 2 didn't just goes to show that they are part of the group of people who we must be wary of. They are not good people. they are bad people. And the victim here is the only one who deserves our sympathy.

    I also think the juvenile age should be lowered to 16. If you're old enough to drive at 16 in the USA, you should be old enough to stand trial as a mature adult.

  8. #18
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    Everyone's entitled to their opinion, or would you prefer that they first get their opinions approved by government oversight?
    How did you get from "criticism of being sympathetic to rapists" to "government thought control?"
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Just reading the article is seems like another case of people wanting to complain. If only they weren't being forced to watch CNN.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: CNN takes side of rapists, viewers demand apology

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    Somewhat incorrect. One of the rapists was black, the other was white.
    Interesting that the article I was looking at online only had a picture of a black guy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •