Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 175

Thread: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

  1. #151
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    No one should be frightened by me, a lowly Canadian, a stray voice in the wilderness, although resident in the third largest city in North America.

    I'm not big on war, being older I'm not able to participate unless something goes truly catastrophic, so it's not for me to be encouraging others to fight. My comments were simply to reflect that in my view Iran may be a lot like Iraq - all talk, not much to back it up - and a force as strong as America's, with allies like those in NATO, would likely make quick work of them as they did in Iraq - and the aftermath would likely be far less chaotic due to the highly educated and in many respects "westernized" younger population.

    But like Iraq and Iran, I'm all talk too, just enjoying the give and take of life in DP land.
    Fair enough, that's totally a legitimate perspective. I definitely don't think Iran would be easy though, by any stretch of the imagination though. No where near what Iraq was. The Iraq military consisted of and estimated 375,000 troops with coalition forces invaded. Iran is estimated to have that, plus 700,000 reservists. Granted, there is no telling how many of them would remain loyal to the regime, but we made the assumption that the Iraqi people would greet as liberators, and that's not exactly what happened there. There is a lot of hostility toward the US all over the middle east. I think it would be a dangerous proposition, to make that assumption again.

    I'm with you though, the give and take in DP land is where all the fun is at
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

  2. #152
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Not every Islamic nation hates our guts. Take turkey for example.

    But I am arguing that giving in to our blind rage and kill everyone only makes people join the terrorists side. If we act rationally and come with a understanding of the culture and show that we are not evil, then the people will be more open to reason and not so willing to join the terrorists who commit suicide bombings and indiscriminately kill their own people.
    In principle, I concur. But you have to look at what we are dealing with. We are dealing with an evil culture, by any logical standards. I am not one to promote genocide of any culture. I say we just let them live in their desert and go about their business of killing each other. I have no inclination to come to any understanding with any archaic culture such as those over in the middle east. They are dangerous and deadly. I prefer to just isolate them and leave them to their own demise.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  3. #153
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I would agree, the right exists. I, however, feel it shouldn't be exercised too strenuously.
    That leaves military decisions in the hands of a particular perspective, which is not good for multifaceted democratic solutions.

    Also, us "brainwashed warmongers" need the support of the un-fettered.

  4. #154
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I disagree with that. Even someone who never served has the right to be a hawk.
    Personally, I think anyone enjoying the freedoms of America, that did not serve, is much like a welfare rat. Living off the work of others.

    But I digress.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    In principle, I concur. But you have to look at what we are dealing with. We are dealing with an evil culture, by any logical standards. I am not one to promote genocide of any culture. I say we just let them live in their desert and go about their business of killing each other. I have no inclination to come to any understanding with any archaic culture such as those over in the middle east. They are dangerous and deadly. I prefer to just isolate them and leave them to their own demise.
    Islamic culture should not be defined by the fanatics who kill their own people any more then defining Christian culture by the atrocities of the inqusition.

  6. #156
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Personally, I think anyone enjoying the freedoms of America, that did not serve, is much like a welfare rat. Living off the work of others.
    You should find something else to be elitist about because that's weak.

  7. #157
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Islamic culture should not be defined by the fanatics who kill their own people any more then defining Christian culture by the atrocities of the inqusition.
    Then they need to fix their own people. It ain't my obligation. Hell, we can't even fix our OWN people that have given them reason to hate us. They would LOVE to have the head of an American in their trophy case. They don't distinquish which one's of us are bad or good. You get what you give I suppose.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #158
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    That leaves military decisions in the hands of a particular perspective, which is not good for multifaceted democratic solutions.

    Also, us "brainwashed warmongers" need the support of the un-fettered.
    You're quite right - I hadn't looked at it in that regard.

    I have to say though that it irked me when, during the discussions about the escalation in Afghanistan, the commanders on the ground asked for x number of troops and Obama decided they could do with less. That part of civilian oversight bothers me but I suppose it's a necessary evil.

  9. #159
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You should find something else to be elitist about because that's weak.
    Just sayin'.... And if the shoe fits......

    Next time one of you rightwingers wanna complain about some lazy person sitting on the front porch all day drinking 40's and living off a government check, keep in mind that, if you did not serve, that's how I look at you. That goes for leftwingers too.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #160
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Poison gas missile strike in Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Just sayin'.... And if the shoe fits......
    What shoe? I only give REMFs crap for fun. I know we need them, and they're cute.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •