Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 99 of 99

Thread: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

  1. #91
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Stones at glass houses

    When did Pope Francis state he was cool with Pedophilia? Anyone want to provide a source for that? Thanks

    Mark Thompson: From Pedophile Cover-Up to the New York Times
    None of your post is coherent.

    What does the new Holy Father have to do with the New York Times?

    What is the connection between the NYT and the Church's continuing denial of the problems with child abuse within its priesthood?
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #92
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanWoman76 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of the Pope. I'm an American and I believe it's morally wrong to participate into elevating a human being to a social status above other humans, and I'm a Protestant and I believe it's morally wrong to participate in elevating a person to spiritual status above other humans. But he is right about this and you are wrong. It is a fact that Pedophilia is an incurable medical condition, not a crime. Pedophilia isn't ever a person's action, and only person's actions can be crimes. Sexual attraction is a chemical reaction, not a choice. Choices can be wrong but chemical reactions are just science. (Not that the Pope wouldn't throw science in Prison if he could, But then I'm no fan of the Pope anyway.) Child Molestation is not a medical condition. Child Molestation is a crime. It's always a crime because it's always an action which hurts another person. There are varying degrees to which it is wrong because there are e varying degrees to which it hurts another person. Raping a child is more wrong than sexually fondling a child. You're creepy if you don't agree with the Pope that there are varying degrees. It would take a creepy person to see sexually fondling a child as being no different than raping a child. The Pope is right and you're wrong. Looking at live-action video or still photographs of Child Pornography is less wrong than raping a child. It's still wrong, and it's still a crime. Looking at it, creates a market demand for raping or sexually fondling a child. But it takes more than one customer to create enough demand to cause a child to be raped or sexually fondled, so it's less wrong than raping a child. .Looking at Live-Action or Photograph-stills of Child Pornography is therefore equally wrong as sexually fondling a child. Looking at animations and drawings depicting Child Molestation is wrong. It's wrong because it creates a market demand for Live-Action and Photograph Stills of Raping or sexually fondling a child. It takes more than one customer of animation or drawings of raping or sexually fondling a child, to create a demand for Live-Action and Photograph Stills of Raping or sexually fondling a child. So it's less wrong than Looking at Live-action video of Raping or sexually fondling a child, and it's less wrong than sexually fondling a child. Don't get me wrong, I recommend the death penalty for all of the above, including Pedophilia. Maybe the Pope does too, have you asked him? Or were you too busy mentally exaggerating his true statements, into him cheering for hurting children? Killing all Pedophiles would prevent all Child Rape and Child Sexual fondling. Killing in self-defense is okay, and to quote Michael Jackson (Ironic?) We Are The Children. There is no self-defense truer than that of killing all Pedophiles. Pedophilia isn't a crime and it isn't wrong, we just should kill them all, that's all.
    So it goes in Iran. In America, you are innocent until proven guilty.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  3. #93
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    I find the discussion on this thread a little perplexing.

    I think we all can agree that "paedophilia" as in having certain sexual urges is not a crime, by itself. Acting upon such urges is a crime, however - one of the worst imaginable. Just as hating someone's guts is not a crime, but actually smashing his head with a hammer most definitely is.

    The cardinal said something else: He had suggested that paedophiles who had actually hurt children should be viewed as psychiatric, not criminal cases - IF they were abused as children themselves. From the all-important angle of protecting potential victims, the difference is immaterial: they are going to be locked up in either case. I disagree with what he says , but I am kind of amused by the near-uniform reaction on the Left.

    So...the circumstances of upbringing, even most damaging ones, do NOT matter, after all? Good to know.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrylek View Post
    I find the discussion on this thread a little perplexing.

    I think we all can agree that "paedophilia" as in having certain sexual urges is not a crime, by itself. Acting upon such urges is a crime, however - one of the worst imaginable. Just as hating someone's guts is not a crime, but actually smashing his head with a hammer most definitely is.

    The cardinal said something else: He had suggested that paedophiles who had actually hurt children should be viewed as psychiatric, not criminal cases - IF they were abused as children themselves. From the all-important angle of protecting potential victims, the difference is immaterial: they are going to be locked up in either case. I disagree with what he says , but I am kind of amused by the near-uniform reaction on the Left.

    So...the circumstances of upbringing, even most damaging ones, do NOT matter, after all? Good to know.

    What is the "near-uniform reaction on the Left"? The problem for the Church goes beyond the crimes committed to its ongoing refusal to acknowledge that many of its prelates hid the perpetrators on an ongoing basis.
    Cardinal Egan Criticized for Retracting Apology on Sex-Abuse Crisis - NYTimes.com

    In 2002, at the height of the outcry over the sexual abuse of minors by Roman Catholic priests, the Archbishop of New York, Edward M. Egan, issued a letter to be read at Mass. In it, he offered an apology about the church’s handling of sex-abuse cases in New York and in Bridgeport, Conn., where he was previously posted.

    Now, 10 years later and in retirement, Cardinal Egan has taken back his apology.

    In a interview with Connecticut magazine published on the magazine’s Web site last week, a surprisingly frank Cardinal Egan said of the apology, “I never should have said that,” and added, “I don’t think we did anything wrong.”

    He said many more things in the interview, some of them seemingly at odds with the facts. He repeatedly denied that any sex abuse had occurred on his watch in Bridgeport. He said that even now, the church in Connecticut had no obligation to report sexual abuse accusations to the authorities. (A law on the books since the 1970s says otherwise.)
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #95
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    What is the "near-uniform reaction on the Left"? .
    The angry condemnation of this cleric for suggesting that some of the molesters may not be culpable because of traumatic events of their childhood.
    Even though blaming "environment" (rather than individual judgement) was one of the major "liberal" memes for decades.

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    NY
    Last Seen
    10-19-17 @ 06:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,016

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    The fact that so many people in the Catholic hierarchy covered up the sex acts against children and, I might add, adolescent girls and women, too, and why they have not publicly blamed the priests involved, and why they have seemed more like apologists for the priests than people concerned for the victims is a special problem for the following reason.

    Traditionally, historically, this church covered up all sorts of crimes and sins committed by priests because it had a teaching that it would be worse to let it be known because it could cause people to criticize the church and that would be a sin. I may be wording this incorrectly, and I'm not providing a link because, frankly, I'm too lazy. But I remember reading somewhere about some kind of Catholic teaching like this. And I'm guessing,, but I think that this is why the whole sex scandal thing has left this church in a muddle about how to deal with the situation.

    Of course, the other problem is that the Catholic church has never really taken sex crimes such as having sex with little kids and raping girls and women as seriously as some others, and it is having a hard time understanding why other people think they are really heinous.

  7. #97
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Quote Originally Posted by choiceone View Post
    The fact that so many people in the Catholic hierarchy covered up the sex acts against children and, I might add, adolescent girls and women, too, and why they have not publicly blamed the priests involved, and why they have seemed more like apologists for the priests than people concerned for the victims is a special problem for the following reason.

    Traditionally, historically, this church covered up all sorts of crimes and sins committed by priests because it had a teaching that it would be worse to let it be known because it could cause people to criticize the church and that would be a sin. I may be wording this incorrectly, and I'm not providing a link because, frankly, I'm too lazy. But I remember reading somewhere about some kind of Catholic teaching like this. And I'm guessing,, but I think that this is why the whole sex scandal thing has left this church in a muddle about how to deal with the situation.

    Of course, the other problem is that the Catholic church has never really taken sex crimes such as having sex with little kids and raping girls and women as seriously as some others, and it is having a hard time understanding why other people think they are really heinous.
    This is a deplorable charge....To think that the Catholic Church, a church that teaches about St. Francis and the love of animals, as well as St. Nicholas the patron saint of children, and often teaches how Jesus loved the children, I really would like to know what proof you have to back up this claim....

    Nah, I think that the scandal was an embarrassment to the church, and since the church is run by man, then it is subject to the failings of man.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    None of your post is coherent.

    What does the new Holy Father have to do with the New York Times?

    What is the connection between the NYT and the Church's continuing denial of the problems with child abuse within its priesthood?
    The guy who helped cover up Savile's pedophilia is now the editor of the NYT. If we use the premise of this idiotic thread, then it's safe to assume that all of the media is complicit in pedophilia and is actively working to cover it up.

    Jimmy Savile scandal: New York Times editor questions if Mark Thompson is the right man to be her boss | Mail Online

    BBC knew of Jimmy Savile's 'dark side' before tribute aired | Media | The Observer
    Last edited by Bronson; 03-19-13 at 02:49 PM.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-12-13 @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    679

    Re: Cardinal says paedophilia 'not a criminal condition'

    Wow you totally argued with your own self there. no one but you mentioned anyone being guilty until proven innocent.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •