Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 512

Thread: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    LEMONT, Ill. President Barack Obama is pushing Congress to authorize $200 million a year for research into clean energy technologies that can wean automobiles off oil.

    Obama proposed the idea of an energy security trust last month in his State of the Union address, but he was putting a price tag on the idea during a trip Friday to the Argonne National Laboratory outside Chicago $2 billion over 10 years. The White House said the research would be paid for with revenue from federal oil and gas leases on offshore drilling and would not add to the deficit.

    The money would fund research on "breakthrough" technologies such as batteries for electric cars and biofuels made from switch grass or other materials. Researchers also would look to improve use of natural gas as a fuel for cars and trucks.

    White House officials said the president's proposal would not require expansion of drilling to federal lands or water where it is now prohibited. Instead, they are counting on increased production from existing sites, along with efficiencies from an administration plan to streamline drilling permits. The government collects more than $6 billion a year in royalties from production on federal lands and waters.

    Obama's push for the energy trust came as the Environmental Protection Agency released a new report Friday indicating that fuel economy standards rose last year by 1.4 miles per gallon the largest annual increase since EPA started keeping track. The agency said the improvement was due to better availability of high-performing cars and more options for consumers.

    The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers suggested that rather than encouraging research on fuel-efficient cars, the government should focus on making diverse fuels more available and improving transportation infrastructure.

    Argonne is one of the Energy Department's largest national laboratories for scientific and engineering research, staffed by more than 1,250 scientists and engineers. White House officials said it was chosen as the site of the president's speech because of its tradition of research into vehicle technologies.....snip~

    Obama wants research to wean vehicles off oil - Americas - Stripes
    By MATTHEW DALY and NEDRA PICKLER The Associated Press <<<<<More here!

    We did hear Obama say about taking care of infrastructure. So why isn't he listening to the Alliance of Auto Manufacturers on that point. I don't have a problem with Government State, local, and Fed, moving their Vehicles to natural gas. Anybody else? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    I support it. we should have done this and more in the mid 1970s. better late than never.

  3. #3
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ft.Wayne In
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,305

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    LEMONT, Ill. — President Barack Obama is pushing Congress to authorize $200 million a year for research into clean energy technologies that can wean automobiles off oil.

    Obama proposed the idea of an energy security trust last month in his State of the Union address, but he was putting a price tag on the idea during a trip Friday to the Argonne National Laboratory outside Chicago — $2 billion over 10 years. The White House said the research would be paid for with revenue from federal oil and gas leases on offshore drilling and would not add to the deficit.

    The money would fund research on "breakthrough" technologies such as batteries for electric cars and biofuels made from switch grass or other materials. Researchers also would look to improve use of natural gas as a fuel for cars and trucks.

    White House officials said the president's proposal would not require expansion of drilling to federal lands or water where it is now prohibited. Instead, they are counting on increased production from existing sites, along with efficiencies from an administration plan to streamline drilling permits. The government collects more than $6 billion a year in royalties from production on federal lands and waters.

    Obama's push for the energy trust came as the Environmental Protection Agency released a new report Friday indicating that fuel economy standards rose last year by 1.4 miles per gallon — the largest annual increase since EPA started keeping track. The agency said the improvement was due to better availability of high-performing cars and more options for consumers.

    The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers suggested that rather than encouraging research on fuel-efficient cars, the government should focus on making diverse fuels more available and improving transportation infrastructure.

    Argonne is one of the Energy Department's largest national laboratories for scientific and engineering research, staffed by more than 1,250 scientists and engineers. White House officials said it was chosen as the site of the president's speech because of its tradition of research into vehicle technologies.....snip~

    Obama wants research to wean vehicles off oil - Americas - Stripes
    By MATTHEW DALY and NEDRA PICKLER The Associated Press <<<<<More here!

    We did hear Obama say about taking care of infrastructure. So why isn't he listening to the Alliance of Auto Manufacturers on that point. I don't have a problem with Government State, local, and Fed, moving their Vehicles to natural gas. Anybody else? Thoughts?
    This guy is a freaking idiot!

    We have tons of natural gas,vehicles will run

    on it nicely and it is cleaner than gasoline.

    Makes perfect sense to spend tons of $ on

    electric cars when we can't build power plants!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    How much longer is this virtual idiot in power?

    How long?

    Crap.


    Hey Barack moron?

    Why not pay down the deficit with that $2 billion?

    You know?

    Like you promised when you said you would cut the deficit in half in your first term?

    Dickhead.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,771

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    This guy is a freaking idiot!

    We have tons of natural gas,vehicles will run

    on it nicely and it is cleaner than gasoline.

    Makes perfect sense to spend tons of $ on

    electric cars when we can't build power plants!
    Worse yet, the technologies that generally get pushed, like electric cars, are more polluting, more expensive and less efficient than the vehicles we already have. These people are morons. Come up with something that improves on the current model, then come ask for government funding.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    This guy is a freaking idiot!

    We have tons of natural gas,vehicles will run

    on it nicely and it is cleaner than gasoline.

    Makes perfect sense to spend tons of $ on

    electric cars when we can't build power plants!
    6 Billion in Royalties just off Federal land. Yet he thinks it can be streamlined to be more efficient without drilling more????

  7. #7
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    We've already done the research and paid for it many times over. The alternatives have been available for decades. My uncles have been running their vehicles on clean, cheap, available propane since the 60s. When I first moved to Oregon after the service they had cool little all-electric cars on sale at the battery Exchange for 2K. And damn but one of my favorite cars was a Honda 600 - 50 mpg.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,966

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Here’s what that choice means. Once these cuts take effect, thousands of teachers and educators will be laid off, and tens of thousands of parents will have to scramble to find child care for their kids. Air traffic controllers and airport security will see cutbacks, causing delays across the country. Even President Bush’s director of the National Institutes of Health says these cuts will set back medical science for a generation.

    Already, the threat of these cuts has forced the Navy to delay the deployment of an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf – affecting our ability to respond to threats in an unstable part of the world. And just this week, the Pentagon announced that if these cuts go through, almost 800,000 defense employees – the equivalent of every person in Miami and Cleveland combined – will be forced to take unpaid leave.

    That’s what this choice means.
    That's President Barack Obama. Now, I understand the desire to research alternative forms of energy and I don't even completely feel like we shouldn't be investing some in it as a country. However, if we're facing "thousands of teachers" losing jobs, children losing health coverage, air traffic controllers unable to work, hold illegal immigrants for deportation, deploy our military assets, or pass significant furloughs wouldn't the FAR more prudent thing to do with that 200 million be to funnel it to one of those things we're being told is catastrophic to the wellbeing of the country rather than investing it into technology that may or may not help us anytime in the near future or ever? I mean, if Barack Obama's doomcrying was honest and not just rhetoric of a typical politician...but he'd never do that, because he is a "Change from politics as usual"

  9. #9
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    We should of done this a long time ago. Very wise investment for the future. We (The US) beat someone else to the punch with this research would be a huge leap forward for the country.
    I dig this move.


  10. #10
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,771

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    We should of done this a long time ago. Very wise investment for the future. We (The US) beat someone else to the punch with this research would be a huge leap forward for the country.
    I dig this move.
    Too bad it's just a political ploy and nothing will come of it.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •