Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 512

Thread: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

  1. #361
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Just because something still pollutes does not mean it pollutes as much as auto engines. Developing technology away from a method that is proven to be destroying our Earth is not a bad idea.
    Modern auto engines pollute far, far less than even those 10 years ago, and they were lightyears ahead in clean emission of the ones 10 years before that. Problem is, when you develop a new vehicle, with a drastic change in emissions, all the older revs don't just disappear and fall out of use. There are still cars from the 70s and 80s on the road.

    But hey, again, the tech has long been developed to radically reduce harmful emissions. It's been around for decades. And it's inexpensive, especially when done at the factory.

  2. #362
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Just because something still pollutes does not mean it pollutes as much as auto engines. Developing technology away from a method that is proven to be destroying our Earth is not a bad idea.
    However, forcing technology on the people that will harm society is a bad idea.

    I'm all for protecting the environmen, but let's not stupid about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #363
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Nice try, but inaccurate. My point has been clear (despite your attempts to muddy it). The research we have on tap, the research we've already completed and paid for - let's use that. Let's NOT do it all again, pay for the same thing over again, just to look like we're doing something.

    There are good reasons the yield of that research went nowhere last time, no reason to throw good money after bad.

    We are using that research, and new research builds on the old research. That is how our country has progressed through history. It would be stupid to stop progressing and think that we would be able to compete with the rest of the world in the future.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #364
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,496

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You are the only person I have ever heard of that thinks nothing can be better than what it is today. But since you deny the scientific principle of the greenhouse effect, I guess that is not too surprising.
    That's ironic, since the greenies want to take us back to the 15th Century. "Global Warming" legislation is going backwards,not forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #365
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We are using that research, and new research builds on the old research. That is how our country has progressed through history. It would be stupid to stop progressing and think that we would be able to compete with the rest of the world in the future.
    No, it's not. Government has subsidized research, then private enterprise has taken the research, commercialized it and distributed it. At that point it's in the hands of private R&D.

  6. #366
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by muciti View Post
    Guy I am all for limiting government, however, as humans who need this planet the government (as well as all people) have a responsibility to keep our planet in the best condition we can for as long as we can. Our government has our money. Whether they invest it in researching ways for our planet to be cleaner, or research on whether or not snorting pesticides is bad for our noses, or just plain old pocketing it doesn't change the fact that they have the money. Now when it comes to how the government uses that money I would, by a large margin, prefer that that money go toward researching ways to improve our lives. The only reason this is political is because no matter which side takes any type of stance on anything the other side has to immediately take the opposite stance. Ensuring the health of a planet is not actually a political stance, it is common sense.
    The problem is that these specific efforts by government are counterproductive to what you (and I) seek. This is pork barelling, not intelligent research.

    As to partisanship, take another look. Catawba and I are about as far apart in the political spectrum as you can get, but we both want exactly the same things. We just differ on the best way to get there. If your position (or mine) won't stand the challenge, maybe it is not the best position.

  7. #367
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, it's not. Government has subsidized research, then private enterprise has taken the research, commercialized it and distributed it. At that point it's in the hands of private R&D.

    That is not the history of the US or how many of our great achievements came about.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #368
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Modern auto engines pollute far, far less than even those 10 years ago, and they were lightyears ahead in clean emission of the ones 10 years before that. Problem is, when you develop a new vehicle, with a drastic change in emissions, all the older revs don't just disappear and fall out of use. There are still cars from the 70s and 80s on the road.
    Just because things are better doesn't mean that they are good and cant be improved.



    But hey, again, the tech has long been developed to radically reduce harmful emissions. It's been around for decades. And it's inexpensive, especially when done at the factory.
    Just because something has been done for decades doesn't make it right. Neither does making it inexpensive.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #369
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    That is not the history of the US or how many of our great achievements came about.
    You are wrong, it's precisely how it's worked in the past. The development has to hold it's own in the marketplace.

  10. #370
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    However, forcing technology on the people that will harm society is a bad idea.

    I'm all for protecting the environmen, but let's not stupid about it.
    How is the government researching alternative methods forcing anything on you? It is more likely that currently Oil is being forced on us now. If you are against something being forced onto you, then alternatives would make sense.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •