Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 512

Thread: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

  1. #261
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Would you remind me of what "true market" approach we have in this country as it relates to energy exploration and/or production?
    What is almost unique in this world is that in the US, everyone and anyone is free to compete freely to lease any reservoir and produce it (within the law), selling the product as they see fit on the open market. Other than royalties on BLM and State lands, the government's only involvement is enforcing regulations. In most of the world, oil is a state-owned and controlled resource and even they many private companies produce it, the market is a lot less "free" in most cases. It is very special.

  2. #262
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by cannuck View Post
    What is almost unique in this world is that in the US, everyone and anyone is free to compete freely to lease any reservoir and produce it (within the law), selling the product as they see fit on the open market. Other than royalties on BLM and State lands, the government's only involvement is enforcing regulations. In most of the world, oil is a state-owned and controlled resource and even they many private companies produce it, the market is a lot less "free" in most cases. It is very special.
    Can coal be freely used to fuel power plants? Can a nuclear power plant be freely built? Are we free to drill for oil and ng? Regulations are the sole reason for our energy trade imbalance. There is no free trade or usage as it relates to our energy resources. We're simply content sending our dollars to countries that would like to destroy us as a nation. See how smart we are...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #263
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Solar has huge problems with un-subsidized cost and major technological barriers related to battery capacity, no down time on energy generation, and effective ways to link it into the grid. and I think we wont really see solar come about as a spot electricity provider until the 2020's
    Without talking out of school, I wasn't speaking of the future. There are NOW solar projects going together in several countries with US and Canadian technology that are cost competitive with similar scale fossil fuel energy and can run as I said up to 3 weeks without sun at full rated capacity (due top storage system - quite new). Because these are base load capable, grid integration is a simple matter of electronics.

    As for planes, whatever the cheapest most efficient fuel is is what makes sense, which at the moment his high octane jet propellants, though I think there may be some possibility of electrical replacement in a few decades.
    Just to be technically correct, there is no "octane" rating for jet fuel. It is essentially just plain kerosene (and if you DID test for an octane value - would be far lower than the worst of Mexican gasoline). Battery technology is a long way short to use electric power on commercial airplanes or even light aircraft that have to travel any distance. Motor technology is also no where near where gas turbines have reached for power density.

    For shipping we are talking about an industry where burning bunker fuel (API below 18...) is still the superior option I don't think you will see a switch anytime soon.
    Bunker (that means ANY fuel used in vessels - not just residual fuels) has constantly switched to more highly processed (as in lower sulphur) fuels and many ships now use lighter IFO 180 or 380...all of the way up to MDO (Marine diesel) - but that usually in smaller vessels that use same engine tech as heavy trucks and gensets. What IS being done now is burning LNG or CNG as a fuel supplement to clean up emissions. But, still impossible to beat the efficiency and cost effectiveness of a residual fuel engine.

    We have huge reserves of hydrocarbons, massive reserves of nuclear fuel, and the possibility of even greater expansion of access to these resources. I think we will continue more or less as we have for the next 20 years as we slowly transition to spot production with solar and newer style nuclear reactors. The only realistic chance for replacing hydrocarbon's as a primary source of electricity is in a major breakthrough in solar efficiency and battery technology (and dramatic falls in un-subsidized cost), an adoption of nuclear on a large scale, or a breakthrough in something we cannot plan on expecting like fusion.
    I think self-sustaining (as in energy net positive) fusion reactors are still a way off, but Candu have been building and converting uranium fueled reactors to mostly thorium bundles (using uranium to stabilize reaction). There is some neat work is nearing commercial level for sub-critical mass gas cooled ("pebble bed") reactors. I would put us still very close to the START of nuclear energy development.

    What alternative energy advocates tend to overlook is the need for mass generation at low costs in a way that can easily integrated. I'm fairly optimistic about the impact new technologies will have (as well as our capacity to exploit existing resources), but it is important to be grounded and realistic.
    Absolutely.

  4. #264
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed, and some more so than oil at present. Where is the wisdom of making a costly transition to techs that depend upon non-renewables that are more scarce than oil?
    It is only your opinion that other elements are more scarce than affordable oil. And you deny the damage burning of fossil fuels does to the environment that all our livelihoods depend upon.


    You haven't shown that. Since when hasn't the solar industry received government subsidy?
    How Much Solar Panels Cost - Energy Informative


    100 pennies is still only one dollar. We could double the number of those who pop a panel on their roof and it still would be insignificant to the overall system.
    Poppycock, I've cut my grid power usage in half. Cutting our need for grid power in half would be huge!



    Once again, those discoveries have been made. The alternatives are here. Oil and coal remain dominant because they have the highest efficiency and are the cheapest in price. In terms of vehicle fuel, again - the discoveries have been made, but the efficiencies are off for the non-petro fuels or the tradeoff in their use is unacceptable.
    Once again you deny the increasing costs of fossil fuels and the damage they are doing to the very environment that all our livelihoods are tied.


    I personally have used alternatives for quite some time before I stopped driving. Started with propane, then went to SVO/WVO. Finally settled on B80 when it hit the Sun stations. But it's too much hassle for most folks and the state screwed the pooch heavily thinking they were helping with their own bio-diesel initiative. They started requiring that all diesel fuel sold in the state have a 5% bio-diesel component. Overnight it stripped the stocks of commercial bio-diesel and pegged the price upward. Thanks guys!
    Electric is the way to go! That will be our next car purchase. And I can charge it from the solar panels on my roof. No middle east wars required!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #265
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,336

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by penn1954 View Post
    This guy is a freaking idiot!

    We have tons of natural gas,vehicles will run

    on it nicely and it is cleaner than gasoline.

    Makes perfect sense to spend tons of $ on

    electric cars when we can't build power plants!
    Good evening, Penn1954.

    : The article is touting 1.4 additional miles per gallon as a plus? 1.4 miles? So BHO wants to spend $200 million dollars on research for this? Just when you think you have heard it all.... The man loves spending money, but then we already knew that. If people kept their maintenance and oil changes up to date, that would immediately improve gas mileage, according to any knowledgable mechanic. And whatever happened to his last year's big solar panel push....

  6. #266
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Can coal be freely used to fuel power plants? Can a nuclear power plant be freely built? Are we free to drill for oil and ng? Regulations are the sole reason for our energy trade imbalance. There is no free trade or usage as it relates to our energy resources. We're simply content sending our dollars to countries that would like to destroy us as a nation. See how smart we are...
    Within that law, we ARE "reasonably" free to do all of those things. If you bother to look at US energy production over the last two decades, you would notice that it fell until about 5 years ago and has turned around - thanks to new completion techniques (hyrdo frac-ing) that, as you might know, are being challenged by environmentalists. NOBODY in industry or government wants to send US dollars offshore for energy. However, anyone looking at the facts would realize that our energy consumption is far past a sustainable level. We don't need alternate energy sources, we need to wake up and stop waste so damn much of it.

    Given the choice to allow wholesale destruction of the environment as Big Oil has done in Nigeria, Central America, etc. vs. the kind of sustainable development we have here, I can understand MOST of the regulations we have. However, to produce oil profitably, we really need to see $100 a barrel in our marketplace. It is profitable - for most conventional crudes - but not nearly as profitable as a place where you bribe a few government officials and just rape and pillage.

    Let the price double, and everyone wins: we can produce more oil profitably, reduce dependence on imports, reduce consumption and alternatives become free market viable.
    Last edited by cannuck; 03-19-13 at 10:51 PM.

  7. #267
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by cannuck View Post
    Within that law, we ARE "reasonably" free to do all of those things. If you bother to look at US energy production over the last two decades, you would notice that it fell until about 5 years ago and has turned around - thanks to new completion techniques (hyrdo frac-ing) that, as you might know, are being challenged by environmentalists. NOBODY in industry or government wants to send US dollars offshore for energy. However, anyone looking at the facts would realize that our energy consumption is far past a sustainable level. We don't need alternate energy sources, we need to wake up and stop waste so damn much of it.
    We will have to agree to disagree with all points you just posted. Any increased production has occurred in spite of the federal government, not because of it. and the federal government is content to export our dollars rather than utilize resources we already have...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #268
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good evening, Penn1954.

    : The article is touting 1.4 additional miles per gallon as a plus? 1.4 miles? So BHO wants to spend $200 million dollars on research for this? Just when you think you have heard it all.... The man loves spending money, but then we already knew that. If people kept their maintenance and oil changes up to date, that would immediately improve gas mileage, according to any knowledgable mechanic. And whatever happened to his last year's big solar panel push....

    Do you prefer sacrificing our young men and women to keep affordable oil flowing to our shores? How much did the Iraq war cost taxpayers? $3 trillion they say with the long term care required for the wounded and maimed.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #269
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,336

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree with all points you just posted. Any increased production has occurred in spite of the federal government, not because of it. and the federal government is content to export our dollars rather than utilize resources we already have...
    Another case in point that has a lot of people upset is spending our money to rebuild infrastructure in foreign countries when our own is crumbling due to age and neglect.

  10. #270
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Do you prefer sacrificing our young men and women to keep affordable oil flowing to our shores?
    How old are you?

Page 27 of 52 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •