Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 512

Thread: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

  1. #251
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The Constitution is outdated and doesn't address many modern issues, so no... if you can't tell the difference between a 250 year old document and modern day laws, you have issues.
    The constitution is supreme to modern day laws. If you think its outdated and doesnt address something, there is a process to amend it.

  2. #252
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Perhaps I'll be proven wrong but I would bet very highly that bio-fuels will never be the next generation of transportation fuels. I highly suspect the answer comes in the form of progressively improving electric cars matched with more efficient, higher output, electrical grid that incorporates solar (especially if you can get solar satellites and microwave transmission), nuclear, natural, gas, coal, etc.
    Nuclear energy is still the most efficient. But people are scared of it. Meanwhile France is laughing as they generate 80% of their power with nuclear.

  3. #253
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Nuclear energy is still the most efficient. But people are scared of it. Meanwhile France is laughing as they generate 80% of their power with nuclear.
    Nuclear energy has a ton of externalities that are affecting the cost in the United States and as a result gas is cost superior to nuclear. There are a lot of things we could and should do to unleash our nuclear potential.

  4. #254
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Nuclear energy has a ton of externalities that are affecting the cost in the United States and as a result gas is cost superior to nuclear. There are a lot of things we could and should do to unleash our nuclear potential.
    All forms of energy we have available should be utilized to their fullest in order to stop dependence on imports for our energy needs...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #255
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Perhaps I'll be proven wrong but I would bet very highly that bio-fuels will never be the next generation of transportation fuels. I highly suspect the answer comes in the form of progressively improving electric cars matched with more efficient, higher output, electrical grid that incorporates solar (especially if you can get solar satellites and microwave transmission), nuclear, natural, gas, coal, etc.
    I think you will see them all. For instance: in airplanes, bio-D makes sense, as, of course, does JetA. Once the current wave of ultra-greed subsides, you might see ships using a combination of petro fuel and kites (not kidding) to take slower voyages on a lot less fuel. Solar in some climates is about to become competitive with fossil fuel electricity - and even cheaper for off-grid remote installations (really good storage technology that will allow up to three weeks without sun), and on it goes. There is a LOT of room left to invent and innovate.

    On the coal front, if you asked me today it might be in situ coal gasification - some good size projects going together now.
    Last edited by cannuck; 03-19-13 at 09:34 PM.

  6. #256
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Nuclear energy has a ton of externalities that are affecting the cost in the United States and as a result gas is cost superior to nuclear. There are a lot of things we could and should do to unleash our nuclear potential.
    Very true. I was speaking in the abcense of oil. Of course, then theres issues like electric motors not being able to power everything. Planes for example.

  7. #257
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    All forms of energy we have available should be utilized to their fullest in order to stop dependence on imports for our energy needs...
    Sure, but I don't mind imports, I favor a true market approach not a command energy economy.

  8. #258
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Sure, but I don't mind imports, I favor a true market approach not a command energy economy.
    Would you remind me of what "true market" approach we have in this country as it relates to energy exploration and/or production?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #259
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-15-17 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    424

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Very true. I was speaking in the abcense of oil. Of course, then theres issues like electric motors not being able to power everything. Planes for example.
    there are actually some practical light sport airplanes flying now on electric power. But, just as for long distance cars and trucks, airplanes still work best with something very like diesel.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Obama Wants Research to Wean Vehicles off Oil.....

    Quote Originally Posted by cannuck View Post
    I think you will see them all. For instance: in airplanes, bio-D makes sense, as, of course, does JetA. Once the current wave of ultra-greed subsides, you might see ships using a combination of petro fuel and kites (not kidding) to take slower voyages on a lot less fuel. Solar in some climates is about to become competitive with fossil fuel electricity - and even cheaper for off-grid remote installations (really good storage technology that will allow up to three weeks without sun), and on it goes. There is a LOT of room left to invent and innovate.
    Solar has huge problems with un-subsidized cost and major technological barriers related to battery capacity, no down time on energy generation, and effective ways to link it into the grid. I think we wont really see solar come about as a spot electricity provider until the 2020's. As for planes, whatever the cheapest most efficient fuel is is what makes sense, which at the moment his high octane jet propellants, though I think there may be some possibility of electrical replacement in a few decades. For shipping we are talking about an industry where burning bunker fuel (API below 18...) is still the superior option I don't think you will see a switch anytime soon.

    We have huge reserves of hydrocarbons, massive reserves of nuclear fuel, and the possibility of even greater expansion of access to these resources. I think we will continue more or less as we have for the next 20 years as we slowly transition to spot production with solar and newer style nuclear reactors. The only realistic chance for replacing hydrocarbon's as a primary source of electricity is in a major breakthrough in solar efficiency and battery technology (and dramatic falls in un-subsidized cost), an adoption of nuclear on a large scale, or a breakthrough in something we cannot plan on expecting like fusion.

    What alternative energy advocates tend to overlook is the need for mass generation at low costs in a way that can easily integrated. I'm fairly optimistic about the impact new technologies will have (as well as our capacity to exploit existing resources), but it is important to be grounded and realistic.

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •