Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 96

Thread: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

  1. #61
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,013

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    What a luxury it would be to dismiss a potential ally! Spare us the silly idealism.
    Yeah, well, it's a little frustrating when some people require every single little tragedy to happen to them or their own personally before they can give a sweet goddamn about anyone else. It shows a lack of empathy and imagination, and reveals they are the least qualified to hold a job that affects other human beings.

    So I'll accept the convenient alliance because it's better than nothing, but pardon me if I also choose to roll my eyes 360 degrees.

  2. #62
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,104

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I heard the interview and I have to say irrespective of his decision to now support gay marriage, Mr. Portman proved himself unfit to be President or Vice-President for the way he made his decision. He claimed that his change in view is based on his son being gay and wanting his son to have the ability to marry whom he wants. That's fine, but you don't make a decision on principles based on an emotional reaction to your child's needs or wants. Make the decision because you believe all people, regardless of sexual orientation, should have the same rights, not because you want something special for your son.
    Agreed with this.
    Last edited by cpwill; 03-16-13 at 06:41 AM.

  3. #63
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    But you're doing nothing but making a big assumption. He MAY'VE changed his view based on family needs OR a change in the situation in his life forced his mind to reevaluate the entire idea and notion which ended with a different view point.

    I also love the sanctimony on this thread, as if everyone here hasn't had some moment in their life where something happened to you or people around you and that caused you to reevaluate some view/thought/action/idea/etc. Bitching about that is bitching about the human experience and how people function. New experiences present new information and cause the brain to look at whatever is before them in a different way and react to it going forward using that new information.
    I'm not making any assumptions - I simply took the man at his word, based on his statements.

    I don't disagree with your sentiments - it's a major reason why I'm no longer a practicing Catholic. However, it is still my view that, as Senator Portman stated himself, he changed his position on gay marriage after his son disclosed he is gay. As such, that makes him, in my view, unfit to be President or Vice-President. A person in the highest leadership positions does not make decisions affecting hundreds of millions of people based on the dynamic of his or her family life. I'm sure his son isn't the first person who told Portman he was gay and expressed a desire for equality in marriage. Is Portman's son "special" in a public policy sense or just special because he's Portman's son? Does Portman's son have other "special" public policy positions that dad will acquire based on his relationship?

    I suppose, to follow your logic, if Portman was President and a relative of his, perhaps his son, was kidnapped by terrorists, it would be okay to change the US position on negotiating with terrorists and maybe release all Islamic prisoners. After all, he's just "reevaluating" his "view/thought/actions/ideas" based on his personal experiences.

    Perhaps to you it may sound callous - if so, you're not fit to be President either - when you run for the highest public office, personal family dynamics do not rule public policy.

  4. #64
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Unfortunately humans are emotional creatures, not machines that operate soley on logic and have no emotion or feelings of empathy.
    Agreed - It takes a very special personality and strength of character to be President of the United States and take the country's interests above those of your personal or family's interests.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I suppose, to follow your logic, if Portman was President and a relative of his, perhaps his son, was kidnapped by terrorists, it would be okay to change the US position on negotiating with terrorists and maybe release all Islamic prisoners. After all, he's just "reevaluating" his "view/thought/actions/ideas" based on his personal experiences.
    There is a bit of a difference between a kidnapping and national security to a social issue of prejudice. If that is outside of your point of view it is a good thing you are canadian because we don't need yet another person who uses loyalty to the status quo no matter how wrong it is to govern their election choices. Knowledge and experience should change your mind when you find out you were wrong. If you do find out you are wrong and still follow the same stupid path, then you are a moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Perhaps to you it may sound callous - if so, you're not fit to be President either - when you run for the highest public office, personal family dynamics do not rule public policy.
    Actually, you may have missed the republican party in the US. they claim family values are a huge part of their prejudicial and hatred ideals that guide every aspect of their time in office. Or at least that is what they claim when running for office almost every time they speak. I know secretly it is all money, but they do offer up a great pretense for supposed family values. You might want to pay attention to who you are speaking about in the future. Someone might think claiming the party that touts itself as the family values party does not treat their family special might ignore how they have spent lots of time keeping their family out of the wars they start.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Agreed - It takes a very special personality and strength of character to be President of the United States and take the country's interests above those of your personal or family's interests.
    it also takes a very special type of person to ignore the reality that gay people are part of the country when they make claims that discriminating against them should never be questioned because of the interest to the people of the country.

  7. #67
    Finite and Precious
    Jredbaron96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    With you.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    7,874
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    I'm not surprised. Life views are often changed under these circumstances.
    "Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
    -FDR

  8. #68
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I was disappointed that some people thought that it was too little too late. When minority issues directly impact people, yes, it changes people's opinions, as it should. We should not dismiss their change because of this. If we did that, you could not believe the number of changes for many minorities would not move forward. Do I believe for an instant Sarah Palin cared a lick about the disabled before her son? I doubt it. Many people I know didn't care before it personally affected them. Now that it has impacted them directly and they changed, that's good. They are politically useful at the very least. Embrace Portman, turn him toward you. Worry about your "been there first" whining later.
    I appreciate your post here. It really sums up human nature. Whenever you see a celeb endorce a charity it is usually because they have a close family member affected by it and that makes sense. As in the case of Palin, it wouldn't surprize me before her disabled son was born that she probably used the word "retard" in joking with friends. But now she will go off the deep end if someone uses the term.

    I guess as humans we are allowed to change our views from time to time. Some will call you a flip flopper and others will call you open minded. You will never make everyone happy.

  9. #69
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    There is a bit of a difference between a kidnapping and national security to a social issue of prejudice. If that is outside of your point of view it is a good thing you are canadian because we don't need yet another person who uses loyalty to the status quo no matter how wrong it is to govern their election choices. Knowledge and experience should change your mind when you find out you were wrong. If you do find out you are wrong and still follow the same stupid path, then you are a moron.


    Actually, you may have missed the republican party in the US. they claim family values are a huge part of their prejudicial and hatred ideals that guide every aspect of their time in office. Or at least that is what they claim when running for office almost every time they speak. I know secretly it is all money, but they do offer up a great pretense for supposed family values. You might want to pay attention to who you are speaking about in the future. Someone might think claiming the party that touts itself as the family values party does not treat their family special might ignore how they have spent lots of time keeping their family out of the wars they start.
    I see you've reverted to form, as most good liberals do, and started throwing the personal insults around - "if you don't agree with me, you're a moron" - that always adds a great level of value to an adult conversation - congrats!

    Secondly, not sure where you got the idea I'm a shill for the Republican Party - since I'm Canadian, as you pointed out in another of your typical liberal ploys - the xenophobic dismissal - I'm not eligible to be a member of that party, even if I chose to do so - I actually consider myself a conservative so wouldn't be a Republican even if I could so save your rant against Republicans for someone who cares.

    Finally, in your zeal to criticize and dismiss my comments, you failed to comprehend what I said - I didn't once criticize Senator Portman's change of heart - I actually feel he was wrong in his position prior to his change of heart, since I don't believe the government needs to have any say in the personal, private lives of its citizens. What I did say was that I believe it is wrong for a person to make a significant public policy decision solely on the basis of family circumstances.

  10. #70
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,186

    Re: GOP senator reverses gay-marriage stance after son comes out

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    it also takes a very special type of person to ignore the reality that gay people are part of the country when they make claims that discriminating against them should never be questioned because of the interest to the people of the country.
    And it takes a special kind of child to go off on a tantrum without any idea what they're talking about.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •