Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 548

Thread: Food-stamp use doubles

  1. #531
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Timing?
    The motive is to get as much power as possible. Has that changed?

    No, my theory is that the difference is in one letter: D vs. R.
    Well, if you are trying to harp on the worn out "not a dimes worth of difference" meme, or the hypocrisy angle you won't get much argument from me. But the only problem I see from independents like yourself Ditto, is that largely you are big on platitudes, and catch phrasing rhetoric. As well as being curmudgeon like disdain for politicians, there is just no there, there.....What is the solution?

    We have a country of 310 million people in America. Of that, we also have the lowest participation rate when it comes to voting in elections, and along with that billions spent on a populace that does vote but doesn't bother to educate themselves properly on whom it is they are pulling the lever for, nor do they care much past the 'American Idol' method of selecting the politicians they back...We are ripe to be led, and are going to suffer for it, unless those of us that do pay attention find a way to get through, and I can tell ya, that constantly telling someone how dumb they are, but failing to point out why reasonably, or how to change that, you might as well don a sandwich board and start screaming that the world is ending.....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #532
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, if you are trying to harp on the worn out "not a dimes worth of difference" meme, or the hypocrisy angle you won't get much argument from me. But the only problem I see from independents like yourself Ditto, is that largely you are big on platitudes, and catch phrasing rhetoric. As well as being curmudgeon like disdain for politicians, there is just no there, there.....What is the solution?

    We have a country of 310 million people in America. Of that, we also have the lowest participation rate when it comes to voting in elections, and along with that billions spent on a populace that does vote but doesn't bother to educate themselves properly on whom it is they are pulling the lever for, nor do they care much past the 'American Idol' method of selecting the politicians they back...We are ripe to be led, and are going to suffer for it, unless those of us that do pay attention find a way to get through, and I can tell ya, that constantly telling someone how dumb they are, but failing to point out why reasonably, or how to change that, you might as well don a sandwich board and start screaming that the world is ending.....
    We have met the enemy, and he is us.

    Yes, it is the uninformed "low information" voter that bases his vote on party loyalty and/or political advertising that is the root of the problem.

    Which is why, when I hear about how the president (not king, not dictator, president) is ruining the country because he belongs to the "other party", my BS meter starts ringing and I say, wait a minute, just how is this big government statist any different from the last one with a different letter after his name?

    and don't really get much in the way of answers other than silly talking points and partisan nonsense.

    Congress has an approval rating somewhere between Al Qaeda and cockroaches, yet we keep electing the same people over and over, then think we're going to have some monumental change by changing the party of the president.

    The government is dysfunctional, and yes, you're right, the root of the problem lies with the voters. A government of, by, and for the people can't function when the people have no idea what is going on, don't bother to understand the issues, or even go and vote.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #533
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    We have met the enemy, and he is us.

    Yes, it is the uninformed "low information" voter that bases his vote on party loyalty and/or political advertising that is the root of the problem.

    Which is why, when I hear about how the president (not king, not dictator, president) is ruining the country because he belongs to the "other party", my BS meter starts ringing and I say, wait a minute, just how is this big government statist any different from the last one with a different letter after his name?

    and don't really get much in the way of answers other than silly talking points and partisan nonsense.

    Congress has an approval rating somewhere between Al Qaeda and cockroaches, yet we keep electing the same people over and over, then think we're going to have some monumental change by changing the party of the president.

    The government is dysfunctional, and yes, you're right, the root of the problem lies with the voters. A government of, by, and for the people can't function when the people have no idea what is going on, don't bother to understand the issues, or even go and vote.
    And why is that? Do you think it could be tied to education? I do.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #534
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And why is that? Do you think it could be tied to education? I do.
    Not really. It has more to do with apathy than education.

    It's not so much that voters are incapable of understanding the issues, but that they don't take the time to find out what the facts are.

    Of course, education would improve without apathy, too.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  5. #535
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not really. It has more to do with apathy than education.

    It's not so much that voters are incapable of understanding the issues, but that they don't take the time to find out what the facts are.

    Of course, education would improve without apathy, too.
    Can you tell me how for example, 8th grade civics, has changed in the past 30 years?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #536
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Can you tell me how for example, 8th grade civics, has changed in the past 30 years?
    Not much, I suspect. The 8 th. grade is when the Constitution is taught in California. I can remember taking the same class back in 8th. grade, and that was way more than 30 years ago.

    Here are some excerpts from the 8th. grade curriculum in California.

    8.2 Students analyze the political principles underlying the U.S. Constitution and compare the enumerated and implied powers of the federal government.
    1. Discuss the significance of the Magna Carta, the English Bill of Rights, and the Mayflower Compact.
    2. Analyze the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution and the success of each in implementing the ideals of the Declaration of Independence.
    3. Evaluate the major debates that occurred during the development of the Constitution and their ultimate resolutions in such areas as shared power among institutions, divided state-federal power, slavery, the rights of individuals and states (later addressed by the addition of the Bill of Rights), and the status of American Indian nations under the commerce clause.
    4. Describe the political philosophy underpinning the Constitution as specified in the Federalist Papers (authored by James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay) and the role of such leaders as Madison, George Washington, Roger Sherman, Gouverneur Morris, and James Wilson in the writing and ratification of the Constitution.
    5. Understand the significance of Jefferson's Statute for Religious Freedom as a forerunner of the First Amendment and the origins, purpose, and differing views of the founding fathers on the issue of the separation of church and state.
    6. Enumerate the powers of government set forth in the Constitution and the fundamental liberties ensured by the Bill of Rights.
    7. Describe the principles of federalism, dual sovereignty, separation of powers, checks and balances, the nature and purpose of majority rule, and the ways in which the American idea of constitutionalism preserves individual rights.
    8.3 Students understand the foundation of the American political system and the ways in which citizens participate in it.
    1. Analyze the principles and concepts codified in state constitutions between 1777 and 1781 that created the context out of which American political institutions and ideas developed.
    It's a Word file. You have to scroll down and click on #7.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #537
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not much, I suspect. The 8 th. grade is when the Constitution is taught in California. I can remember taking the same class back in 8th. grade, and that was way more than 30 years ago.

    Here are some excerpts from the 8th. grade curriculum in California.

    It's a Word file. You have to scroll down and click on #7.

    Thanks for that, there is a lot there to consider. One of the things I would consider is what the teachers interpretation of some of these curriculum objectives are. We have seen instances of teachers bringing in their own political ideologies at this level, so some of the subject matter involved in the learning goals could be problematic. Not saying that they are, just that a close eye would have to be kept.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #538
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,535

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Thanks for that, there is a lot there to consider. One of the things I would consider is what the teachers interpretation of some of these curriculum objectives are. We have seen instances of teachers bringing in their own political ideologies at this level, so some of the subject matter involved in the learning goals could be problematic. Not saying that they are, just that a close eye would have to be kept.
    Since the end of the year test is based on the state standards, and since principals can be fired if test results aren't satisfactory, they are pretty closely watched.

    Sometimes a bit too closely, which results in a test centered curriculum.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #539
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, I read them correctly, that's what gives you such a fit.
    No, you don't and I've proven that too you before. You're too often too busy arguing some liberal shadow somewhere, and not what I've said.
    You have? I have to say, that trying to decipher some of your postings can be painful...Allow me to give an example....

    "That's kind of a silly question, but he sent he first business person to be short sighted. He'll, the auto industry has made being short sighted an art form. They've need government help as much or more than any industry I think."
    Yes, the iPad gives me some trouble. The the ideas are there and easy enough to see. The auto industry has made an art form out of needing government aid. It is difficult.

    Can you proof read before hitting the send button please?
    For better or worse, I'm often doing other things when I visit here. I have apologized before for that, but it likely won't change. I seldom have blocks of time when I'm not multitasking.

    This is a textbook example of not one but two logical fallacies...One being circular logic, and the other being the false dilemma. When you try to say that 'if A, then B is the only answer, so C is true' that is a fallacy, and sorry, but you lose the argument.
    Are you sure you know your fallacies. Circular reasoning means I'm merely repeating the claim. I'm not doing that. And no, I'm not making a causal relationship error either. I'm merely trying to get you to see the flaw in your argument. You can't argue for less government and than blame government for the results.

    No. No one is saying that government is the answer. What we are saying is that Obama, and progressives are doing things designed to make people more dependent on government. Such as food stamps. In reality we are saying the exact opposite, that government screws it up when they try to place themselves as the answer to all problems. So, it is either a bit of classic projection for you to arrogantly say that we believe something, or such a failure in misreading the thoughts of another, that it takes on signs of epic fail in its assumption.
    You should then use better evidence, as if Obama is responsible for the economy, the only thing he can do is hire people, which would mean more government. Your approach is too simplistic. You ignore the economy, the effects of long term unemployment and make a leap about dependency that really isn't supported. A lot of things. People think in their guts are just plain wrong, and you need much more than what you're presenting.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #540
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No, you don't and I've proven that too you before. You're too often too busy arguing some liberal shadow somewhere, and not what I've said.


    Yes, the iPad gives me some trouble. The the ideas are there and easy enough to see. The auto industry has made an art form out of needing government aid. It is difficult.



    For better or worse, I'm often doing other things when I visit here. I have apologized before for that, but it likely won't change. I seldom have blocks of time when I'm not multitasking.



    Are you sure you know your fallacies. Circular reasoning means I'm merely repeating the claim. I'm not doing that. And no, I'm not making a causal relationship error either. I'm merely trying to get you to see the flaw in your argument. You can't argue for less government and than blame government for the results.



    You should then use better evidence, as if Obama is responsible for the economy, the only thing he can do is hire people, which would mean more government. Your approach is too simplistic. You ignore the economy, the effects of long term unemployment and make a leap about dependency that really isn't supported. A lot of things. People think in their guts are just plain wrong, and you need much more than what you're presenting.

    Well, you can ignore all you like, hell, stick your fingers in your ears and holler la,la,la,la....all day long for all I care. But, I hope that you libs go for it full bore. Push like there is NO tomorrow, because once you get done destroying our beautiful country, I have the feeling that progressives like you will lose so badly that it'll be another 100 years before you get out from under the rock again.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •