Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 548

Thread: Food-stamp use doubles

  1. #491
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Of the three you gave...

    1. "Outsourcing" - Probably more a function of a global economy than anything else. If the US isn't going to be competitive in tax rates, and demonize success, I'd leave too.

    2. "The movement to hiring more part time employees over full time employees." - Obamacare is pushing this....

    3. "...." - What was the third?
    No.

    1. You could not tax business at all, and them would still be leaving. Taxes play a small role (they skirt them anyway). More the reason they out source is low wages and no health care. I have a hard time believing that us working for hose low wages is really something we want. And neither side of the political isle is really willing to tackle healthcare. But, the taxes excuse is mostly just that, an excuse politicians hope you buy.

    2. As it started long before Obama, that's a hard claim to take seriously. Again, I think business will use this excuse to continue what they've been doing. But no on saying attention to the last few decades accept that.

    Btw, here in my field, it's leading to more fulltme employment. Damned Obama!

    3. The e moony itself. It functions outside of government. The only way government can control employment is to hire people. I'm reasonably sure you don't want that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #492
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Disagree. Probably worthy of its own thread though.
    Create where appliciable and I'll gladly have it.

    No, not true...
    Yes, true. Your excert does not show anything stating that Obamacare pushes employees to layoff or reduce hours. That is what employers choose to do since Obamacare doesnt specifically penalize for that. It was probably intentionally left out because they may have felt forcing benefits on business owners for part time employees was going to far.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  3. #493
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Policy does have an effect on business, thus job creation. Do you believe it is helpful when Obama looks to rile his base with class warfare talk, and goes after business as somehow ignoble because they make a profit?
    Actually very little. You could tax cut, give away money to business, appease them every way possible, and nothing much would change. Until people buy, nothing is moving anywhere.

    Also, no strawman please. No one opposes profit.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #494
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No.
    Yes

    1. You could not tax business at all, and them would still be leaving. Taxes play a small role (they skirt them anyway). More the reason they out source is low wages and no health care. I have a hard time believing that us working for hose low wages is really something we want. And neither side of the political isle is really willing to tackle healthcare. But, the taxes excuse is mostly just that, an excuse politicians hope you buy.
    Oh come on. Look there is a point in passing along costs to consumers reaches pricing yourself out of the market. At that point they have to look at lowering other overhead. If I make widgets here in the US, and it costs me $1 to make, and my overhead is 96% here, but in Mexico the overhead is 92%, and I have shareholders to answer to, why wouldn't I go where it is 92%? I have a responsibility to do so. Let alone the regulatory hurdles in this country.

    2. As it started long before Obama, that's a hard claim to take seriously. Again, I think business will use this excuse to continue what they've been doing. But no on saying attention to the last few decades accept that.
    Does one go into business to make money? Or for some altruistic reason? Liberals seem to think that business should somehow do it for fun or something...

    Btw, here in my field, it's leading to more fulltme employment. Damned Obama!
    Well rudy poo for you! Education is expanding, and it is a crime what your sector has done in terms of cost to the consumer, vs the product you put out.

    3. The e moony itself. It functions outside of government. The only way government can control employment is to hire people. I'm reasonably sure you don't want that.
    No, I would like less bureaucratic expansion please. Sadly though that seems to be Obama's jobs plan.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #495
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes
    Oh, I can do that as well: No!

    Oh come on. Look there is a point in passing along costs to consumers reaches pricing yourself out of the market. At that point they have to look at lowering other overhead. If I make widgets here in the US, and it costs me $Again, I'm not asking you to. I'm asking you to reason. To think critically. And to even synthesize information. Nothing needs to be made up. to make, and my overhead is 96% here, but in Mexico the overhead is 92%, and I have shareholders to answer to, why wouldn't I go where it is 92%? I have a responsibility to do so. Let alone the regulatory hurdles in this country.
    Only, taxes don't one close to reaching that point. Lower wages, no healthcare are much larger issues. Btw, how many widest can the Mexican citizen buy? Sure, no taxes, cheaper labor, no health care. I'm ready to trade places right now. You?


    Does one go into business to make money? Or for some altruistic reason? Liberals seem to think that business should somehow do it for fun or something...
    No one suggests they don't want make money. No one suggests they shouldn't. But too much leverage in favor of them hurts working people. Again, they make more money in Mexico. Want to live there?

    Well rudy poo for you! Education is expanding, and it is a crime what your sector has done in terms of cost to the consumer, vs the product you put out.
    J, you show you completely mss the point. Your contempt fir educators aside, the point is we've been as subject to the art time movement as any one. There are schools where 90% of a department is made up of adjuncts. But this bill makes that difficult and more costly for the college to go so large with part time. This is not a bad thing.


    No, I would like less bureaucratic expansion please. Sadly though that seems to be Obama's jobs plan.
    Please point to that plan. I suspect this is more hyperbole from those who have to blame a party. But, you didn't address my point t all.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #496
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Only, taxes don't one close to reaching that point. Lower wages, no healthcare are much larger issues. Btw, how many widest can the Mexican citizen buy? Sure, no taxes, cheaper labor, no health care. I'm ready to trade places right now. You?
    It's not about manufacturing for the people that the country that the factory moves to. Tell me, when the GM Flint plant locked its doors, and moved to Mexico, did they do that to produce cars for Mexico? Or was it to build for Mexican citizens? Or was it to lower stifling overhead, and as libs told us at the time, to help keep the company afloat and deal robotization, and more payroll demand from the IAW?

    No one suggests they don't want make money. No one suggests they shouldn't. But too much leverage in favor of them hurts working people. Again, they make more money in Mexico. Want to live there?
    Never said I did, that's your strawman argument. But, you seem to be saying that unending wage demands, and benefit increases should be sustained indefinitely for the privilege of going into business in this country. People put everything they have into a business, and making it successful, and you liberals come along and think that because that business becomes successful, that it owes you something, that you have a say when you took no risk. You don't.

    I don't want to live in Mexico, but I can tell ya, if I owned that successful widget company, and could produce them easier in Mexico, make more for my share holders, and continue to grow, its a no brainer.

    J, you show you completely mss the point. Your contempt fir educators aside, the point is we've been as subject to the art time movement as any one. There are schools where 90% of a department is made up of adjuncts. But this bill makes that difficult and more costly for the college to go so large with part time. This is not a bad thing.
    I don't have contempt for educators, just those that think that their mission is to indoctrinate their students.

    Please point to that plan.
    Indeed, what is Obama's plan? All I hear is how his plan is to create jobs, and move America forward, and nothing happens but rhetoric, and division. America is stuck in a self imposed morass that progressive libs either blame Bush for, or try and say it is the "new norm".... Well, if that is the best Euro socialism holds for us is high prices, high taxation, and constant bickering and demonization when they don't get their way, forget it, I'd rather have Bush any day over that crap.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #497
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,304

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The
    economy, which is separate from the president or congress. Out sourcing. The movement to hiring more part time employees over full time employees. I usually try to stop at three.
    Lol....I would have stopped at one if I were you, rather than expose to the forum your blind allegiance or your economic ignorance.

    And no, THIS economy is directly tied to the leftist rhetoric of your President and poorly concieved health care law passed by the Democrats.

    Honestly, your party is concentrating on gun legiation and immigration.

    And after the last jobs report. F***ing useless Democrats.

    Why exactly do you think Companies are cutting back their employees hours ?

    And outsourcing and automation is nothing new.

    There is a mass hypnotic event going on in our Country. Its either that or you folks are purposely being obtuse, just buying time.

  8. #498
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    [QUOTE=j-mac;1061670336]
    It's not about manufacturing for the people that the country that the factory moves to. Tell me, when the GM Flint plant locked its doors, and moved to Mexico, did they do that to produce cars for Mexico? Or was it to build for Mexican citizens? Or was it to lower stifling overhead, and as libs told us at the time, to help keep the company afloat and deal robotization, and more payroll demand from the IAW?

    That's kind of a silly question, but he sent he first business person to be short sighted. He'll, the auto industry has made being short sighted an art form. They've need government help as much or more than any industry I think.

    But you don't really address my point with your comment. What has them is not taxes as much as it is low wages, and healthcare cost.

    Never said I did, that's your strawman argument. But, you seem to be saying that unending wage demands, and benefit increases should be sustained indefinitely for the privilege of going into business in this country. People put everything they have into a business, and making it successful, and you liberals come along and think that because that business becomes successful, that it owes you something, that you have a say when you took no risk. You don't.
    You do realize I didn't say you did. And no that is not what I'm saying. I am, however, saying you can't appease many businesses enough to keep them here. So, throwing every break to them simply won't keep them. I wanted us to stop acting like we have low self esteem and have to keep begging them to stay. Recognize the real issues, low wages and healthcare, and seek real solutions and stop being earlier manipulated by those who throw out the t-word in order to a trained response.


    I don't want to live in Mexico, but I can tell ya, if I owned that successful widget company, and could produce them easier in Mexico, make more for my share holders, and continue to grow, its a no brainer.
    Sure you would. But as a worker, you at least know what that means for you. Let the poor times roll. My conservative friend here calls this the mexicanization of America. That's why I mention that country. That is likely where we're heading. And tax cuts won't stop it.


    I don't have contempt for educators, just those that think that their mission is to indoctrinate their students.
    The sad thing is, your more indoctrinated than they are. You can even see that the country is more conservative here than liberal. You seem to fear exchange of ideas. And frankly, there is an anti science element to some conservative elements. So, you do hold contempt for teachers.


    Indeed, what is Obama's plan? All I hear is how his plan is to create jobs, and move America forward, and nothing happens but rhetoric, and division. America is stuck in a self imposed morass that progressive libs either blame Bush for, or try and say it is the "new norm".... Well, if that is the best Euro socialism holds for us is high prices, high taxation, and constant bickering and demonization when they don't get their way, forget it, I'd rather have Bush any day over that crap.
    You took the non specific rhetoric from republicans rather easily as I recall. However, instead of answering me, you threw out wild eyed partisan nonsense. Not one thing you you ramble on about has anything to do with anything I've asked or said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #499
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Lol....I would have stopped at one if I were you, rather than expose to the forum your blind allegiance or your economic ignorance.

    And no, THIS economy is directly tied to the leftist rhetoric of your President and poorly concieved health care law passed by the Democrats.

    Honestly, your party is concentrating on gun legiation and immigration.

    And after the last jobs report. F***ing useless Democrats.

    Why exactly do you think Companies are cutting back their employees hours ?

    And outsourcing and automation is nothing new.

    There is a mass hypnotic event going on in our Country. Its either that or you folks are purposely being obtuse, just buying time.
    You are quite mistaken. It started before he did anything, and if it began too boom tomorrow, it still wouldn't be his doing. It is the same fir all presidents.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #500
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,304

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You are quite mistaken. It started before
    he did anything, and if it began too boom tomorrow, it still wouldn't be his doing. It is the same fir all presidents.
    What started ? The recession ?

    Sorry its been 4 years. Having a liberal explain the fundamentals of our free enterprise system is like having an auto mechanic explain brain surgery. Your priority isn't to effectively understand or to explain the proccesses that fuel or weigh our economy down, its to defend your candidate, your President.

    Chalking up a static economy, its actually shrinking, to the prior President really taxes your credibillity.

    Private investors and corporations actually hire folks who objectively analyze current and FUTURE trends and make decisions based on their conclusions.

    Right now the consensus is to protect their capital. And you think thats totally disconnected from this Presidents rhetoric ? Or the multiple tax increases and mandates in ObamaCare that will and ARE being passed onto the consumer.

Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •