Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 548

Thread: Food-stamp use doubles

  1. #371
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Athletics had nothing to do with his post...
    He was pondering where all the money went. I commented on cutting out athletics from the budget and how much that would save. Is he your sock?

    Talking about college has nothing to do with the topix starter; food stamp use doubles. You want to discuss things with me, or are you just trying to prevent a discussion with anyone else but you?
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  2. #372
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Athletics had nothing to do with his post...
    but costs do.

    Athletics should be able to pay for themselves with ticket sales donations from supporters, and fund raisers.

    Where does all the money go? If a high school can operate on ten grand per, which still is more than would be needed if all of the money got to the school btw, why does a university need thirty? It makes no sense.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  3. #373
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    He was pondering where all the money went. I commented on cutting out athletics from the budget and how much that would save. Is he your sock?

    Talking about college has nothing to do with the topix starter; food stamp use doubles. You want to discuss things with me, or are you just trying to prevent a discussion with anyone else but you?
    Athletics at the University I support is self-funded so your argument has no merit in my book. Bringing athletics into the discussion was just a deflection...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #374
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    but costs do.

    Athletics should be able to pay for themselves with ticket sales donations from supporters, and fund raisers.

    Where does all the money go? If a high school can operate on ten grand per, which still is more than would be needed if all of the money got to the school btw, why does a university need thirty? It makes no sense.
    Read post #373...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #375
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Athletics at the University I support is self-funded so your argument has no merit in my book. Bringing athletics into the discussion was just a deflection...
    No, it was actually a response to cutting the cost of education.

    Alabama coaching salaries increase 40 percent since winning titles | The Daily Bama Blog


    Alabama football coaches can tell you that much. Salaries for the nine assistants and Nick Saban grew 40.1 percent from the since the Crimson Tide won two national titles in three seasons. The assistants alone will make 45.1 percent more this year compared to 2009 while Saban was bumped 36.3 percent.

    These figures include just the base salaries for the 10 coaching positions that have change hands a few times in some cases.

    In all, the 10 were paid $6.7 million in 2009. After yesterday’s contract amendments, the same 10 positions will earn $9.4 million in 2012.

    Saban’s 36 percent base pay increase took the figure from $3.9 million to $5.3 million, but his raise wasn’t close to the largest over the same time frame. That title easily belongs to defensive coordinator Kirby Smart.

    Smart’s salary jumped 163 percent since making $360,000 three seasons ago. Then Georgia came calling and his salary went to $750,000. Raises of a cool $100,000 came twice since then to make him a $950,000-man this fall.
    Who pays for these increases? Not the tickets of the games.
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  6. #376
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    No, it was actually a response to cutting the cost of education.

    Alabama coaching salaries increase 40 percent since winning titles | The Daily Bama Blog

    Who pays for these increases? Not the tickets of the games.
    I would suggest you research how much revnue is generated by Alabama football (especially television and licensing) before making an asinine assumption that it does not support itself as well as the majority of other athletic programs at the University...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #377
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I would suggest you research how much revnue is generated by Alabama football (especially television and licensing) before making an asinine assumption that it does not support itself as well as the majority of other athletic programs at the University...
    I don't need to. I KNOW they aren't paying for THOSE salaries...
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  8. #378
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,604

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    I don't need to. I KNOW they aren't paying for THOSE salaries...
    Don't count on it. Football generates a lot of revenue.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #379
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Don't count on it. Football generates a lot of revenue.
    It's a waste of keystrokes...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I agree..they need to reign in a lot of the spending. A pretty interesting fact...as tuition has ballooned the ratio of administrators have grown compared to the number of actual professors employed. So a large chunk of that money is going to costly expansions, administrators, and other things that don't necessarily result in a better education experience for a tuition payer. So I agree with that.

    But!

    It's also a fact that states have been cutting back on the money they send to state universities so a larger share of the cost for running the university is being shouldered by individuals paying tuition. States as of 2013 are spending on average 28 percent less on state universities than they did in 2008.
    There seems to be a difference of opinion in some cases.Administrative Bloat at America’s Colleges and Universities

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •