Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 548

Thread: Food-stamp use doubles

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    I don't know if anyone here knows who Michael Savage is; but a few years ago I remember him saying that he was once progressive in his college years and was trying to do everything in his power to help people - however what he saw was a bunch of inner city welfare recipients living better than he did, and that totally changed his mind about the government and the system we live in...He was a college kid paying his bills trying to help the world while others got everything else for free but he had to pay $$$$ for it.....

    How is that fair or justifiable???

  2. #122
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    I have no problem with welfare for those is crisis---it just has become an chronic condition that traps too many people in the long run. Hell we could have bought houses with land and given it to a lot of recipients more cheaply than paying for housing for them for generations. We need to throw the whole system out and start over.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No.... In Illinois they get paid per-kid.. $1,200 is the max per week (of course they get "their" taxpayer welfare monthly.)
    Mr. nick is completely wrong and has claimed something absurd that is easily debunked through some very simple means. This is the IL DHS site which defines the benefit levels a household can receive. The second chart on the page shows the decreasing benefit levels as you add more people to the household. however, you do get more benefits for each person. As one can see, the brady bunch would only get 1500 dollars a month if they included Alice and Oliver. that is 10 people for the kids to young to know what the brady bunch was. That is not even close to 1200 a week.

    DHS: SNAP Program - DHS 124

    So even the duggars wouldn't get 1200 dollars a week in food stamps. 1200 dollars a week totals 4800 dollars a month. You would need to claim over 30 people in your household to get 1200 dollars a week in food benefits. Perhaps mr. nick has just been poorly informed by a deceptive lying news source, but your friendly neighborhood me is happy to easily go to the IL DHS site and follow the easy to find link to the food benefits you can expect from SNAP. Now please step away until; you can offer up something close to the truth, and discuss this issue with some intelligence instead of spreading some absurdity that people are getting 1200 dollars a week in food. If that were even close to true i would agree with you, but just because you said it or heard it on fox news does not make it so. Oh, and if you are bothered because this post made you feel a little silly then perhaps you should check your so called facts before you make yourself look silly by making absurd and easily disproven claims.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,020

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I have no problem with welfare for those is crisis---it just has become an chronic condition that traps too many people in the long run.
    The average amount of time someone stays on food stamps is about 9 months. Maybe a little longer now, given economic conditions from the past few years.

    Welfare reform in '96 (passed by Clinton) essentially ended "chronic" welfare and replaced it with TANF. You get a maximum of 60 months in your lifetime in most states. After 2 years, recipients are required to work ("workfare") in order to continue receiving assistance.

    TANF benefit are also around half as much as welfare benefits in the 1970s.

    Social Security Disability is indefinite, but doesn't pay much and is difficult to get.


    Hell we could have bought houses with land and given it to a lot of recipients more cheaply than paying for housing for them for generations.
    No, you couldn't.

    The cost of the purchases would be immense, as would maintenance and upkeep. It would distort the market, far more than subsidized housing for people with low incomes. It would lock the individuals into those homes, far more than being limited to affording subsidized housing.


    We need to throw the whole system out and start over.
    We actually pretty much did that in 1996. And here we are, less than 20 years later, hearing the same complaints.

    In addition, it was only a few years ago -- with the same exact benefits and safety nets as we currently have -- that unemployment was at or near record lows. What's changed since 2007? The benefits haven't gotten more generous, their motivating power hasn't changed, people still want to work. What's different is that companies just aren't hiring.

    Any program or solution to any social program can be improved. However, tossing an entire system overboard that already has limited benefit durations, relatively small payouts, and shows little sign of discouraging people from finding work -- offers minimal benefit.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't know if anyone here knows who Michael Savage is; but a few years ago I remember him saying that he was once progressive in his college years and was trying to do everything in his power to help people - however what he saw was a bunch of inner city welfare recipients living better than he did, and that totally changed his mind about the government and the system we live in...He was a college kid paying his bills trying to help the world while others got everything else for free but he had to pay $$$$ for it.....

    How is that fair or justifiable???
    You believed 1200 dollars a week? That did not set off alarms in your head? Your problem is you are ignorant of the system, and you rely on the opinions of people qwho are clearly manipulating you with the wrong information because you actually want to believe their insanity.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    The average amount of time someone stays on food stamps is about 9 months. Maybe a little longer now, given economic conditions from the past few years.

    Welfare reform in '96 (passed by Clinton) essentially ended "chronic" welfare and replaced it with TANF. You get a maximum of 60 months in your lifetime in most states. After 2 years, recipients are required to work ("workfare") in order to continue receiving assistance.

    TANF benefit are also around half as much as welfare benefits in the 1970s.

    Social Security Disability is indefinite, but doesn't pay much and is difficult to get.



    No, you couldn't.

    The cost of the purchases would be immense, as would maintenance and upkeep. It would distort the market, far more than subsidized housing for people with low incomes. It would lock the individuals into those homes, far more than being limited to affording subsidized housing.



    We actually pretty much did that in 1996. And here we are, less than 20 years later, hearing the same complaints.

    In addition, it was only a few years ago -- with the same exact benefits and safety nets as we currently have -- that unemployment was at or near record lows. What's changed since 2007? The benefits haven't gotten more generous, their motivating power hasn't changed, people still want to work. What's different is that companies just aren't hiring.

    Any program or solution to any social program can be improved. However, tossing an entire system overboard that already has limited benefit durations, relatively small payouts, and shows little sign of discouraging people from finding work -- offers minimal benefit.
    There are multiple welfare programs people work like a champ. SSI is the final solution and no it is not that hard to get on mental disability. That you think a system can be designed for all times without adapting to a changing society speaks volumes to why the whole thing should be rethought.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I have no problem with welfare for those is crisis---it just has become an chronic condition that traps too many people in the long run. Hell we could have bought houses with land and given it to a lot of recipients more cheaply than paying for housing for them for generations. We need to throw the whole system out and start over.
    yes, but an educated person would know HUD is much different from the DHS or DSS department. There are alot of different types of social assistance programs. SNAP is not TANF which is not Section 8 housing, which is not disability or social security, and none of those are things like tuition assistance or corporate welfare. I don't mind the idea of increasing the efficiency of social welfare programs, and cutting otu abuses. however, to get an accurate idea of how to do that you have to be educated on what systems are out there and how they work. part of the problem with the welfare discussion in america is that there is more misinformation in it than there is about drugs. That is a deliberate thing created by both dems and republicans for different reasons. SNAp is relatively easy to get if you fall below the right income levels. It also does not give out cash benefits, and is limited per person to a max of 2400 a year in food. if you are working for less than 20k a year that is important. If you are going to discuss these things get educated. your point is awful because section 8 housing isn't something people want to live in. It is also not food stamps, nor is it even under the same budgetary system. you could kill off SNAP and never touch the HUD funding. You could get rid of both of those and miss Social Security disability.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    There are multiple welfare programs people work like a champ. SSI is the final solution and no it is not that hard to get on mental disability. That you think a system can be designed for all times without adapting to a changing society speaks volumes to why the whole thing should be rethought.
    now you are talking about a system that needs to toss some people from it's roles. Social security disability is a joke that needs huge reform. But it is still not food stamps. However, it is interesting that SSD will take into account that you need it to pay for food and increase your benefits if you say you need them for food purchases, while it also allows you to take SNAP benefits to pay for your food. It is limiting things like that which would save a lot of money, and make certain systems like disability much more annoying to deal with.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    yes, but an educated person would know HUD is much different from the DHS or DSS department. There are alot of different types of social assistance programs. SNAP is not TANF which is not Section 8 housing, which is not disability or social security, and none of those are things like tuition assistance or corporate welfare. I don't mind the idea of increasing the efficiency of social welfare programs, and cutting otu abuses. however, to get an accurate idea of how to do that you have to be educated on what systems are out there and how they work. part of the problem with the welfare discussion in america is that there is more misinformation in it than there is about drugs. That is a deliberate thing created by both dems and republicans for different reasons. SNAp is relatively easy to get if you fall below the right income levels. It also does not give out cash benefits, and is limited per person to a max of 2400 a year in food. if you are working for less than 20k a year that is important. If you are going to discuss these things get educated. your point is awful because section 8 housing isn't something people want to live in. It is also not food stamps, nor is it even under the same budgetary system. you could kill off SNAP and never touch the HUD funding. You could get rid of both of those and miss Social Security disability.
    Then perhaps you should educate yourself--not all Section 8 housing is government housing projects. One can rent freestanding homes where the landlord agrees to put the homes into the system and the homes meet certain requirements--like not being falling down slum houses with broken windows and no heat. Some landlords accept this and some do not. Donald Trump could put his penthouses into the system if he is willing to accept the rent controls and give up the ability to screen applicants

    How to Become a Section 8 Housing Landlord - Requirements, Pros & Cons

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Then perhaps you should educate yourself--not all Section 8 housing is government housing projects. One can rent freestanding homes where the landlord agrees to put the homes into the system and the homes meet certain requirements--like not being falling down slum houses with broken windows and no heat. Some landlords accept this and some do not. Donald Trump could put his penthouses into the system if he is willing to accept the rent controls and give up the ability to screen applicants

    How to Become a Section 8 Housing Landlord - Requirements, Pros & Cons
    yes, no landlord in a decent area would restrict themselves like that. They make it that way so the only areas where section 8 becomes appealing to landlords is in areas where people are too poor to pay the rent so the government kicks in the extra dollars. It still does not change the reality that the HUD system is not within the systems one would cut if they cut welfare. You could kill off social security and the DSS or DHS and you would still never touch section 8 housing. Real reform comes with specific systems, and just saying welfare does not tell a person anything. Do you know that when Bill Clinton signed the work for welfare thing and limited time on TANF that those limits don't apply to children receiving benefits? That is why it can still be abused by people who have multiple kids for benefits. We don't cut off the kids, we only cut off the parent. Since you need dependent children to get it in the first place we missed the biggest part of the abuse. You are also probably not aware those limits do not effect SNAP?

    This is what i am talking about. you cannot read some little article that tries to back it's partisan opinion and become educated on where the abuses are. With the people in our government trying really hard to push money into their friend's hands you miss where the true problems are. It is not always with the poor, many times problems come from the rich skimming off programs for the poor. The rich want the loopholes, the politicians are their tools, and the media obscures the holes and blames someone else so you never know if your only opinion comes from their people and not from your own research.

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •