Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 548

Thread: Food-stamp use doubles

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by WWGWD View Post
    Yea, I couldn't disagree with you more, but that's probably not surprising you, lol.
    Nope.

    I've worked with thousands for homeless people, single mothers on food stamps, senior citizens who lost their savings in the stock market crash. There is a multitude of reason someone needs help. From personal experience, I have encountered far more people painfully embarressed that they are food stamps for any length of time, then I encountered people scaming the system.

    I am not at all saying that there are not people who work the system, there are plenty and that should be addressed. However, if you think that is the majority, I believe you are sorely miss informed.
    They may be gaming the system when they don't know they are. To say that there isn't infinite opportunity out there for people if they want it is being absolutely blind. Otherwise, I don't know how a latchkey kid like myself could have all the degrees I have, including an MBA. Stands to reason that I should be in the gutters, trying to beg for bread to sustain my misery one more night.

    There is no incentive to work. The effective wage for McDonalds or Wal-mart is so much lower than minimum wage because of our "money for nothing" system. Why work for 200 dollar a week (after taxes) when you can do that for sitting on your ass? What's worse is that women that have children have a route to use emotional extortion to work the system that much more. Bad decisions are subsidized by good people.

    Do you honestly, and I mean honestly, think that those people you discussed are going to attempt to succeed through the system and then pay it forward for the next crop of people who "slip through the cracks"?

    That's a hopelessly optimistic viewpoint.

  2. #92
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    It might produce better results to understand why people accept poverty as a way of life...
    and perhaps your understanding is an assumption.

  3. #93
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nonsense....Where did you come up with that lie?
    lie? LMFAO

  4. #94
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    and perhaps your understanding is an assumption.
    Do you disagree? I do not view it as an assumption. It's something that should be taken into account in these discussions...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #95
    Professor
    madman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    So. California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,936

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Do you disagree? I do not view it as an assumption. It's something that should be taken into account in these discussions...
    I believe we are seeing an increase in foodstamp usage BECAUSE of how sh**** the econ has been, but let's go ahead and ignore that little fact.

  6. #96
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    I believe we are seeing an increase in foodstamp usage BECAUSE of how sh**** the econ has been, but let's go ahead and ignore that little fact.
    I'm not ignoring anything, but you seem to be content simply throwing stones to see if you can hit anything. How would you suggest we improve the situation that would create jobs for those that want to work, and what would you suggest we do if the jobs were available and some still chose not to work?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #97
    Guru
    GEIxBattleRifle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 06:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,236

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    That's right I love my food stamps period. You all work to be my slaves and you may be a slave again for 2016 as well if my food stamp buddies win again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDubya View Post
    Hanging your hat entirely on the CURRENT legality of something you want to be legal and others want to make illegal does not constitute a salient argument. At all.
    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    What is "alive" and how does it apply to the fetus?

  8. #98
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,359

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by GEIxBattleRifle View Post
    That's right I love my food stamps period. You all work to be my slaves and you may be a slave again for 2016 as well if my food stamp buddies win again.
    I hear it's $16/month. Don't spend it all in one place.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by GEIxBattleRifle View Post
    That's right I love my food stamps period. You all work to be my slaves and you may be a slave again for 2016 as well if my food stamp buddies win again.
    This post wins.

    The funny thing is that I can picture millions saying this with a straight face.

  10. #100
    Advisor WWGWD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Last Seen
    07-01-13 @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    425

    Re: Food-stamp use doubles

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Nope.
    They may be gaming the system when they don't know they are. To say that there isn't infinite opportunity out there for people if they want it is being absolutely blind. Otherwise, I don't know how a latchkey kid like myself could have all the degrees I have, including an MBA. Stands to reason that I should be in the gutters, trying to beg for bread to sustain my misery one more night.

    There is no incentive to work. The effective wage for McDonalds or Wal-mart is so much lower than minimum wage because of our "money for nothing" system. Why work for 200 dollar a week (after taxes) when you can do that for sitting on your ass? What's worse is that women that have children have a route to use emotional extortion to work the system that much more. Bad decisions are subsidized by good people.

    Do you honestly, and I mean honestly, think that those people you discussed are going to attempt to succeed through the system and then pay it forward for the next crop of people who "slip through the cracks"?

    That's a hopelessly optimistic viewpoint.
    It sounds to me, and I may be wrong about your intention, but it seems you want to punish the lot, for actions of a few. From my experiences, there is nothing a poor mother wants then to get her kid out of poverty and ensure they get a better life. Obviously, you will have exceptions to that, but I don't think this lazy attitude you highlight is as rampant as you think. The people I have worked with over the years, want nothing more then to be able to provide for their families, and give back to their communities. This is just a viewpoint I pulled out my optimistic, liberal head. I can put names and faces to the people who actively work hard to help the next generation out of poverty and into productivity.

    Is the system flawed? Yes. Should their be an emphasis on short term assistance? Yes. Is there an incredible need for reformation of these programs? ABSOLUTELY. However, just writing off an entire socio economic class as lazy, entitled, scam artist, is disengenous at best. I have no problem seeing that the people you describe exist and should be addressed. I just don't believe the rhetoric and the stereotypes that claim all people benefiting from entitlements fall under that category.
    "....The people can not be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty...." -Jefferson 1787

Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •