Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 172

Thread: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

  1. #141
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    Do you think we should all have access to chemical weapons? How about nuclear weapons. Where do you draw the line, EXACTLY?
    Yeah, show me the conservative politician running on the "Nukes for all" platform.... Don't be silly.

    In what regard, Charlie?
    You said: "They support guns for everybody, no questions asked."

    That is a lie.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #142
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. That old canard is as lame and tired as anything.


    The standard for restricting enumerated Constitutional rights is Strict Scrutiny, which is:

    The restriction must be necessary; not simply preferred, but absolutely essential to the maintenance of civil society.
    The restriction must be narrowly construed.
    The restriction must be the least restrictive means possible of achieving the necessary goal.


    Restricting WMD obviously falls under this heading. Restricting common arms just as obviously does not.
    Well with the definition of it being only "necessary" just who gets to decide something as arbitrary as necessary. That is absurd.

    How about "it is ncessary that my child not get slaughtered with his entire class while I think he is safe in school". That - to me - is necessary and not merely a preference.

  3. #143
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    Well with the definition of it being only "necessary" just who gets to decide something as arbitrary as necessary. That is absurd.

    How about "it is ncessary that my child not get slaughtered with his entire class while I think he is safe in school". That - to me - is necessary!

    The standard was established by the Surpreme Court. Argue it with them if you wish.

    The point is society could not function with every Joe owning nukes or weaponized anthrax. It would collapse.

    Obviously that is not the case with common weapons.

    And thinking that banning law abiding persons from owning certain types of weapons will prevent mass slaughters is obviously wrong. The biggest mass murder in US history excluding 9-11 was carried out using a fertilizer bomb. The biggest school massacre was carried out using a bomb as well, in 1927. Bombs and bomb-making materials are already restricted btw.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #144
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,553

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the problem. Do you honestly think republicans care about the inner cities at all? The inner cities need community organizers. Oh wait...
    Ummm... What do Republicans have to do with anything? Please point out where I mentioned Republicans or Democrats etc. I didn't. Either answer my question and stop with the red herrings, or we can move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #145
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. That old canard is as lame and tired as anything.


    The standard for restricting enumerated Constitutional rights is Strict Scrutiny, which is:

    The restriction must be necessary; not simply preferred, but absolutely essential to the maintenance of civil society.
    The restriction must be narrowly construed.
    The restriction must be the least restrictive means possible of achieving the necessary goal.


    Restricting WMD obviously falls under this heading. Restricting common arms just as obviously does not.
    If you do not restrict something, it has the potential to become common. How about private armored tanks roaming the countryside.

  6. #146
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Ummm... What do Republicans have to do with anything? Please point out where I mentioned Republicans or Democrats etc. I didn't. Either answer my question and stop with the red herrings, or we can move on.
    Move on black manta. We are tired of being baited.

  7. #147
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Ughhh why dont you report on how many shootings their are in lower new york or trenton one guy kills someone in upper new york you dedicate a thread to it . Some many gun realated deaths but most are either sucide or gang realated.

  8. #148
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    If you do not restrict something, it has the potential to become common. How about private armored tanks roaming the countryside.

    Virtually no one is seriously advocting that. Stop resorting to ridiculous examples; we're talking about common arms such a semi-auto rifles.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #149
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,553

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    His statement was not the topic of this thread. The shooting in upstate NY was.

    If you are so adamant about LA answering YOUR question, how about answering the one I had asked here repeatedly about why black conservatives keeping calling all liberals racists? They even go so far as to say the white man is being held down by liberals. It is preposterous.
    Because he made a racist statement and got called on it. As did you.

    The rest is crap you were spouting that was completely irrelevant and made up for the most part. So nothing to respond to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #150
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,201

    Re: Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131]

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    Move on black manta. We are tired of being baited.
    Moderator's Warning:
    Upstate New York Shooting Update [W:90; 131] I will do the moderating here, thank you. Cease with the one-liner pokes.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •