Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95

Thread: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Are there situations where this should be allowed? Personally, I think it is unconstitutional and I don't like the precedent it sets.
    It is not the precedent that bugs me, it is the improper method of evidence gathering that might lead to his release. I understand they want to nail this guy with an execution or life in prison, but do it right. They have him pretty well on the crime, and there is no reason to screw it up with some sort of violation of his rights.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    As long as they make sure the only thing it endangers is his case for insanity then i am for it. however, if it allows him to walk free i think i would support the execution of the judge and a public burning of the defendant.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I'm an advocate of the use of Sodium Pentathol (Truth Serum) in certain circumstances. In this guys case, his "testimony" will possible help determine his mental condition at the time of the crime and may result in sparing his life. Not that I care about his life, but it's a way of getting at the truth.

    I also advocate the use of "Truth Serum" when a kidnapper will not revel the location of a detained victim whose life may be endangered. I also support its use of the battlefield (I don't support water-boarding).

    Like a lie detector device, the results can not be 100% certain and thus can not be used to convict. It can still be useful in other respects.
    What's the point of having a Fifth Amendment then when it can just be violated at will?

    I'm really getting fed up with people only using the Bill of Rights when it applies to their argument but then acting like the document doesn't exists when it suits their argument or opinion on an issue.

    James Holmes is a horrible person without question but to take his civil liberties away would make all of us horrible people and tyrants...

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    As long as they make sure the only thing it endangers is his case for insanity then i am for it. however, if it allows him to walk free i think i would support the execution of the judge and a public burning of the defendant.
    The simple fact this judge pulled this stunt will allow Holmes to "walk free" (temporarily)...

  5. #25
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    There should be no not guilty by reason of insanity. A person either committed the crime or they did not. Guilty but insane would be a more appropriate.

    Even the most insane person makes decisions. The insane may not understand our laws, but that does not excuse them.

    As far as using the truth drug. Not sure it should be done. I can see the defense ready to appeal.

  6. #26
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,732

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Are there situations where this should be allowed? Personally, I think it is unconstitutional and I don't like the precedent it sets.
    I wonder what side effects this drug has. Could the accused say "Come here, Judgie Wudgie, I wanna kiss you", and would that be admissible in court?
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #27
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    What's the point of having freedom of speech if nobody pays attention to what you say?

    Did you read anything I posted that advocated "against his will"? Quite the contrary, I suggested it might help him escape the death penalty. I believe I also said: Like a lie detector device, the results can not be 100% certain and thus can not be used to convict.



    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    What's the point of having a Fifth Amendment then when it can just be violated at will?

    I'm really getting fed up with people only using the Bill of Rights when it applies to their argument but then acting like the document doesn't exists when it suits their argument or opinion on an issue.

    James Holmes is a horrible person without question but to take his civil liberties away would make all of us horrible people and tyrants...

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    There should be no not guilty by reason of insanity. A person either committed the crime or they did not. Guilty but insane would be a more appropriate.

    Even the most insane person makes decisions. The insane may not understand our laws, but that does not excuse them.

    As far as using the truth drug. Not sure it should be done. I can see the defense ready to appeal.
    The real question is "weather or not the alleged perpetrator was in a sane frame of mind during the act of a crime" - not are they presently "sane."

    "Insanity" is a de facto plea of guilt... It is just left to the jury to decide weather the alleged perp was in the right frame of mind while committing the alleged crime.

  9. #29
    Advisor TML's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-23-15 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    520

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Judge William Sylvester ruled that in the event of Holmes pleading insanity his prosecutors would be permitted to interrogate him while he is under the influence of a medical drug designed to loosen him up and get him to talk. The idea would be that such a "narcoanalytic interview" would be used to confirm whether or not he had been legally insane when he embarked on his shooting spree on 20 July last year.
    The ruling of the Judge is a crime.

    Colorado Constitution - Article 2 Section 18 – “No person shall be compelled to testify against himself in a criminal case…”

    United States Constitution – 5th Amendment – “…nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself…”

    The entire stated purpose is to drug him in order for prosecution to compel him to testify against his plea of insanity. If he is guilty without doubt, then no such action is required. And frankly, a person who does what he did surely cannot be considered “sane”… that’s like some rabid dog.

  10. #30
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,008

    Re: Judge approves use of 'truth serum' on accused Aurora shooter James Holmes

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The real question is "weather or not the alleged perpetrator was in a sane frame of mind during the act of a crime" - not are they presently "sane."

    "Insanity" is a de facto plea of guilt... It is just left to the jury to decide weather the alleged perp was in the right frame of mind while committing the alleged crime.
    IMO, I don't care what frame of mind someone is in. If they murder, they should be held accountable.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •