Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 157

Thread: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

  1. #31
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The idea that an individual can ban (or limit) the amount of what an individual can consume is down right crazy in my mind - however it is a Tenth Amendment issue and the SCOTUS smashed that setting more precedence they control all of us as a whole... So this is not a victory for us - it's a victory for them.

    These crazy ass cats will look back on this case - point fingers and say "see the Tenth is moot."

    No one should be clapping their hands here because this is a defeat in my book - but a win-win for the totalitarian Nazi's.
    Exactly how is a court stopping a city from banning large soda's a victory for totalitarian Nazi's?

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Exactly how is a court stopping a city from banning large soda's a victory for totalitarian Nazi's?
    Because it sets precedence for federal superiority over the state.... Not like the federal government doesn't believe they can "pimp" states.

    If we're a democratic republic then I'm Santa.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,781
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Because it sets precedence for federal superiority over the state.... Not like the federal government doesn't believe they can "pimp" states.

    If we're a democratic republic then I'm Santa.
    How does it do that? It was a state judge that shot this down, not a federal judge.
    Welfare (Food Stamps, WIC, etc...) are not entitlements. They are taxpayer funded handouts and shouldn't be called entitlements at all. Social Security and Veteran's benefits are 'Entitlements' because the people receiving them are entitled to them. They were earned and paid for by the recipients.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,004

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Good ruling IMHO
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  5. #35
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,306

    NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Just curious: How many people here ever drink 32oz's of soda at one sitting?
    I can. I like getting them for road trips so I can sip on something the whole way.

    But who cares? Shouldn't we have a right to drink whatever we want in the quantity we want? Or is that just too much freedom?
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  6. #36
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,306

    NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by laska View Post
    And obesity, cancer, diabetes, high health care costs run rampant. Take Tongan people, on the islands that are on traditional whole food diet the best athletes come from and there is no trace of cancer, diabetes, etc. The islands that have adopted the western diet have high rates of these diseases. Wise government would protect freedom and stop the for profit food and beverage industries from addicting people on sugar highs to maximize profits and slowly killing people. They kill far more people than we lose in wars like WWii and Vietnam. So I say kudos to Bloomberg.
    Wow. So you are pro nanny state? Why not support healthy food choices? Why must you restrict someone from picking a drink of the size of their choice? Who cares about Tongan. We live in America and we have this thing called freedom. Arbitrary limits and laws with economic loopholes that are made so that certain people making the law can profit...are kind of a huge deal.

    Obviously a judge recognized the idiocy of bloombergs little police state/dictatorship/nannyism and decided to smack it down. Justice system won't let the precedent for a dictatorship pass. Awesome.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  7. #37
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,891

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Just curious: How many people here ever drink 32oz's of soda at one sitting?
    I don't even drink soda, I can make big boy decisions call by myself. **** anyone who tries to make them for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    I can. I like getting them for road trips so I can sip on something the whole way.

    But who cares? Shouldn't we have a right to drink whatever we want in the quantity we want? Or is that just too much freedom?
    For the likes of him and haymarket, any freedom is too much freedom. "You are free to do as we tell you!"
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Because it sets precedence for federal superiority over the state.... Not like the federal government doesn't believe they can "pimp" states.

    If we're a democratic republic then I'm Santa.
    Hello Santa,

    It wasn't the federal judge that did this, it was the STATE supreme court judge that did it.

    Or perhaps is this just part of the time collapse that has already occured due to the future change in Florida going away from the DST that you are predicting?

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    I don't even drink soda, I can make big boy decisions call by myself. **** anyone who tries to make them for me.

    For the likes of him and haymarket, any freedom is too much freedom. "You are free to do as we tell you!"
    I know this isn't Bloomberg's reasoning behind doing this, however, the counter of not having a soda ban (Or any food ban for that manner) should be that obese people should pay higher insurance premiums for their "big boy" choices when their obescity starts to cause illnesses and diseases that need to be covered by medical costs.

    If people are going to make bad choices on their health, other healthy people shouldn't be stuck with their bill and be charged at the same rate.

    Again, just in case anyone is getting confused with what I'm saying, I don't want government intervention on food and drink. I just think that people should be responsible for their decisions as well.

  10. #40
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,578

    Re: NY judge halts Bloomberg ban on large sugary drinks

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I know this isn't Bloomberg's reasoning behind doing this, however, the counter of not having a soda ban (Or any food ban for that manner) should be that obese people should pay higher insurance premiums for their "big boy" choices when their obescity starts to cause illnesses and diseases that need to be covered by medical costs.

    If people are going to make bad choices on their health, other healthy people shouldn't be stuck with their bill and be charged at the same rate.

    Again, just in case anyone is getting confused with what I'm saying, I don't want government intervention on food and drink. I just think that people should be responsible for their decisions as well.
    Good point. Why did PPACA outlaw using any health risk factors except for age and smoking? Any sane person knows that obesity and gender are very good predictors of medical care costs, especially when you "mandate" that all birth control and preventive care be given "at no added cost" to the insured. When the gov't makes decisions it is about what is politically popular not about what makes sense.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •