Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136

Thread: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Yes most other states change their clocks twice a year but its not twice in the same direction, its one hour forward than one hour back so at the end of the year you don't have a net change. That means if you're in a state which would never change its time, as Florida would be after adding A SINGLE HOUR A SINGLE TIME and then NEVER CHANGING IT AGAIN, you would be an hour off of the states in your timezone for part of the year but would never be more than ONE HOUR off.



    Did I just blow your mind? Are you really this damn stupid?
    This is why we have LEAP YEARS.... Yeah we have those things called leap years to compensate for lost time - the time being lost in this ignorant and misguided proposal.

    Yeah instead of you fixing your clock every 2 times a year we just add another day to a month.

    Do you not understand how time works? and the relationship of our Earth, its rotation, gravity and relation to other planetary bodies plays a role in time?

    Sorry, time is calculated not made up.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That idea creates a backwards two hour swing of time every year.

    If anything it would be a change of two hours forward or two hours back, but then that would put Florida two hours ahead or behind the rest of the states.

    The idea makes no sense...

    What the hell is the problem with EST anyways? and what is the reasoning behind this silly proposal?


    This stupidity coming from the guy who wants to lecture people on what it means to be a "maker" instead of "taker" in this society. Hell if I was an employer I wouldn't trust this guy to "make" his way to the dumpster to throw out trash everyday.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    This is why we have LEAP YEARS.... Yeah we have those things called leap years to compensate for lost time - the time being lost in this ignorant and misguided proposal.

    Yeah instead of you fixing your clock every 2 times a year we just add another day to a month.

    Do you not understand how time works? and the relationship of our Earth, its rotation, gravity and relation to other planetary bodies plays a role in time?

    Sorry, time is calculated not made up.
    Imagine if everyone in a state set their clocks forward one hour at the same time on an agreed upon day and then every adjusted the time again. Can you manage that? Because that's all that's being proposed here.

  4. #54
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    States are able to choose whether or not to participate in DST. Arizona doesn't. Does that make them any less of a State? Oh, btw, if a State only changed the clock once a year, what do you think the end result would be?
    Good afternoon, AP.

    Every two years they would have to demand that the state legislators explain their stupidity, due to the confusion everyone in the world would have! That would probably only occur once before changes were made!

  5. #55
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good afternoon, AP.

    Every two years they would have to demand that the state legislators explain their stupidity, due to the confusion everyone in the world would have! That would probably only occur once before changes were made!
    Good afternoon pg. Personally, I believe DST has outlived its usefulness. Decide on one time and be done with it. My preference would be to remain on standard time...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    I don't think it is possible to lose time. Time is linear and exists no matter how it is measured. The position of the sun is not really relevant. All the consequences of DST is to make it dark one hour later. There is some structural advantage to this in that "rush hour" would be in daylight so tired drivers would have a better chance of survival on their commute home.
    The suns position certainly plays a role in an individuals perception of time.

    What people don't generally know is that the Earth is slowing its rotation, which makes days longer and longer. We don't notice it because it's only a fraction of a second every year but over time that certainly will be an issue.

    However what we call "days", "nights", "seasons", "years", "weeks", "months" are nothing more than a measurement.

    There are a lot of theories on what the perception of time is - some believe it's the stretching of the universe itself...

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Imagine if everyone in a state set their clocks forward one hour at the same time on an agreed upon day and then every adjusted the time again. Can you manage that? Because that's all that's being proposed here.
    But they don't and one state doing such a thing would set itself backwards doing so - that's the point.

    Eventually in a "rogue time state" (hahaha never thought I would use such language) after several years it would be 3am when every other states watch reads 1pm..

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post


    This stupidity coming from the guy who wants to lecture people on what it means to be a "maker" instead of "taker" in this society. Hell if I was an employer I wouldn't trust this guy to "make" his way to the dumpster to throw out trash everyday.
    The funny part is that some don't understand what I'm telling them...

    Actually it's sad they don't understand how our solar system, gravity, earths rotation etc plays a role here instead of a Florida law maker and a few people who think such legislation can stop gravity and the rotation of the earth. That or expect the rest of the world to adhere to Florida and their loony idea of time.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Anyone who want to continue to judge my position on this issue should tell me why we have leap years AND why we have them every 4/7 years? (the math behind that isn't important right now).

  10. #60
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Good afternoon pg. Personally, I believe DST has outlived its usefulness. Decide on one time and be done with it. My preference would be to remain on standard time...
    I agree with you. We all know when sunrise and sunset occurs, so this artificial tinkering serves no purpose other than to confuse, IMO.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •