Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 136

Thread: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

  1. #41
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Seriously, what location does Florida have in our solar system that makes Florida able to change their clocks one time a year when every other geographical location changes it twice?

    Unbelievable.
    Florida will not change their time once a year. Under this scheme, they will move forward one hour once, during daylight savings time, with all the other areas that move forward one hour.

    Instead of falling back to standard time in the fall like the other areas, they will stay on daylight savings time. When spring comes back around and all the other areas move their time forward again, Florida will be aligned with the other areas again. And so on.

    I'm with wiseone, I really don't understand why you aren't grasping this concept.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    States are able to choose whether or not to participate in DST. Arizona doesn't. Does that make them any less of a State? Oh, btw, if a State only changed the clock once a year, what do you think the end result would be?
    I don't live in Arizona. What time is Chicago in Arizona? it's 3:36 here CST.

    They could use the Roman Alphabet in states do determine time for all I care, but I think there needs to be some sort of consensus on time.

    I don't believe a state is any less of a state because they're silly enough to concoct their own version of time, I just think it's meaningless and pretty much stupid.

    I embrace states for exercising their Tenth Amendment rights.... But this idea is just strange.

  3. #43
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Seriously, what location does Florida have in our solar system that makes Florida able to change their clocks one time a year when every other geographical location changes it twice?

    Unbelievable.
    under the proposal, Florida would change the clocks zero times per year. it would make DST permanent. yesterday's leap forward would be the last change of the clocks in Florida ever.

    it makes a lot of sense, i hope that it passes, and i hope that eventually the rest of the country does the same thing.

  4. #44
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't live in Arizona. What time is Chicago in Arizona? it's 3:36 here CST.

    They could use the Roman Alphabet in states do determine time for all I care, but I think there needs to be some sort of consensus on time.

    I don't believe a state is any less of a state because they're silly enough to concoct their own version of time, I just think it's meaningless and pretty much stupid.

    I embrace states for exercising their Tenth Amendment rights.... But this idea is just strange.
    Actually, it's 3:36 CDT time in Chicago. Arizona chooses to not change to daylight savings time, so it would be 1:36 PST...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Because that wouldn't work - I've been saying this forever.

    If everyone else moves their clock twice a year - what makes you think Florida is so special from that?

    Time is nothing more than a measurement - if we need to change our clocks twice a year - so does Florida otherwise they will fall back on time.

    It doesn't work and the idea is stupid.
    Yes most other states change their clocks twice a year but its not twice in the same direction, its one hour forward than one hour back so at the end of the year you don't have a net change. That means if you're in a state which would never change its time, as Florida would be after adding A SINGLE HOUR A SINGLE TIME and then NEVER CHANGING IT AGAIN, you would be an hour off of the states in your timezone for part of the year but would never be more than ONE HOUR off.



    Did I just blow your mind? Are you really this damn stupid?

  6. #46
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,081

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot View Post
    Arizona doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time at all. This bill would make Florida observe Daylight Saving Time year round.
    True... Arizona and previously Michigan and Indiana did not observe DST. The common denominator of the three states is that they are on the western edge of their respective time zone. As such, they are already "blessed" with it being lighter later into the evening then those on the eastern edge of the time zone AND, correspondingly, have later sunrises then those on the eastern edge. These states likely decided that having later sunrises with DST was not worth the even sunsets..

    The interesting thing about DST is that when we switch the many countries in the southern hemisphere switch the other way. This means that the relative time change between a North American and South American city changes by two hours each time we switch back and forth to DST. Florida (Miami, anyway) as a gateway to South America (most of which is east of Florida) can suddenly fall 3 or 4 time zones behind some parts of South America in the winter... to keep businesses more on track in relative sense, the idea of never changing back makes some sense.

    That all said, seems like a pretty silly piece of legislation likely proposed by a novice legislator or political lightweight.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 03-10-13 at 05:59 PM.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Florida will not change their time once a year. Under this scheme, they will move forward one hour once, during daylight savings time, with all the other areas that move forward one hour.

    Instead of falling back to standard time in the fall like the other areas, they will stay on daylight savings time. When spring comes back around and all the other areas move their time forward again, Florida will be aligned with the other areas again. And so on.

    I'm with wiseone, I really don't understand why you aren't grasping this concept.
    That idea creates a backwards two hour swing of time every year.

    If anything it would be a change of two hours forward or two hours back, but then that would put Florida two hours ahead or behind the rest of the states.

    The idea makes no sense...

    What the hell is the problem with EST anyways? and what is the reasoning behind this silly proposal?

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Yes most other states change their clocks twice a year but its not twice in the same direction, its one hour forward than one hour back so at the end of the year you don't have a net change.



    Did I just blow your mind?
    Wow, I spent five minutes making a table to show this, and you explained it with one sentence.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That idea creates a backwards two hour swing of time every year.

    If anything it would be a change of two hours forward or two hours back, but then that would put Florida two hours ahead or behind the rest of the states.

    The idea makes no sense...

    What the hell is the problem with EST anyways? and what is the reasoning behind this silly proposal?
    Refer to my table on page 4...

  10. #50
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Florida could keep daylight saving time all year under 'Sunshine Protection Act'

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That idea creates a backwards two hour swing of time every year.

    If anything it would be a change of two hours forward or two hours back, but then that would put Florida two hours ahead or behind the rest of the states.

    The idea makes no sense...

    What the hell is the problem with EST anyways? and what is the reasoning behind this silly proposal?
    .

    OK, I give up. Have a nice day.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •