Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 493

Thread: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

  1. #381
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Supporting an organization that commits violence in your name, does not make you violent. If that were true, anyone who supports the US Army would be violent. A lot of middle eastern desert folk sadly believe that organizations like hezbollah are fighting on their behalf. You're trying to use different definitions for them vs christians.
    If we were discussing people supporting an organization you would have a point. But what we are discussing is people individually supporting the execution of people for simply changing their religion

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    The middle east is socially about 200-300 years behind us. Just over 200 years ago western society evolved past the point of letting the christians run around and murder people. At which point the christian church turned into the baby hugging organization it is today. Eventually the middle eastern society will evolve to that point as well. Claiming however that their religion is inherently more violent because we stopped letting you ****s kill people 200 years ago while they haven't gotten around to it yet is rather ridiculous.
    1) so there is a particular issue with violence in modern islam?

    2) You seem to be promoting the idea that there is some inevitable transformation here, ignoring the fact that it took people acting from within and outside of Christianity, to moderate it

    3) again, Islam's origins are tied into a religious leader who was as much war hero and statesman, as he was a prophet. There are even religiously codified systems within Islam on how to declare and conduct war, navel campaigns, rules and limitations of citizenship, etc

    Obviously Christianity did get involved with politics later on (and more than it's share of violence), but such was not central to it's origins or the actions of it's founder. So yes, one s definitely more inherently violent than the other, but that does not mean tat all muslims are violent. They are free to reject such notions as many do everyday.

    The problem is, many more do not

  2. #382
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I guess we should just agree with you guys and call islam a violent religion propagated by the devil. Christianity is a religion of peace. How do I sign up for the jesus club, pastor? You convinced me.
    why not just stick to arguing with what people actually say, as opposed to building up some lampoonish strawman?

  3. #383
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    [QUOTE=RabidAlpaca;1061557789]
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post

    It doesn't excuse the fact, it just contributes to the fact that all of the abrahmahic religions are violent and should perish.
    translation: since my knee-jerk defense of some violent primitives failed, I am going back to equivocating between three very diverse groups, with as much lack of interest in detail and fact as before

  4. #384
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,554

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    If we were discussing people supporting an organization you would have a point. But what we are discussing is people individually supporting the execution of people for simply changing their religion
    So what do we make of the 1,000 years where christians did the very same thing?

    You can only come to one of two conclusions:
    - Christianity evolved to stop killing people
    - Society evolved to stop letting christianity kill people


    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    1) so there is a particular issue with violence in modern islam?

    2) You seem to be promoting the idea that there is some inevitable transformation here, ignoring the fact that it took people acting from within and outside of Christianity, to moderate it

    3) again, Islam's origins are tied into a religious leader who was as much war hero and statesman, as he was a prophet. There are even religiously codified systems within Islam on how to declare and conduct war, navel campaigns, rules and limitations of citizenship, etc

    Obviously Christianity did get involved with politics later on (and more than it's share of violence), but such was not central to it's origins or the actions of it's founder. So yes, one s definitely more inherently violent than the other, but that does not mean tat all muslims are violent. They are free to reject such notions as many do everyday.

    The problem is, many more do not
    If you think christianity's roots weren't founded on an insane amount of violence, then I don't think you've read the bible.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #385
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Is that not what you were trying to prove? That islam is clearly violent and as such is the false religion?
    lol, wouldn't that moniker as a rationalist be better fitting if you tried to act "rationally"? Instead of attacking him and manufacturing strawmen, why not simply address what he says. If nothing else, at least this discussion would go somewhere beyond you and J being butthurt

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    04-12-13 @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    679

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Really, what church has Drones? Oh, you mean our rampantly atheist government.

  7. #387
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    And that justifies the killing of people based on religion?
    Again you are guessing and again you come up short.
    I'm not here to play the "whose religion is better game" because I don't have one, and I don't care
    .

    Then don't participate in any such discussion. It's all optional.
    If you want to be a christian, that's great, and you totally should do that.
    Thanks, but I don't need your permission.

    Just keep your religious views out of politics
    Why shouldn't all views be a part of politics? We can't deny people their legitimate points of view just because you may disagree with them. Aren't Muslims inserting their religion into politics? Should Christians not have that same right?

    and stop acting like you're superior because other religions are violent.
    But...but...I am superior!

    More people have been killed in the name of christianity than any other religion.
    That really doesn't matter, even if it were true. Muslims are murdering Christians now and burning down there homes, and they have been doing that for a number of years. Let's debate the issues that are actually making news today.

  8. #388
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So what do we make of the 1,000 years where christians did the very same thing?
    Christians being violent primitives? But again, I, and I am pretty sure no one else, has put forward the idea that Christianity had no violence in it's past. In fact, I have asserted the exact opposite many times in this very thread, and even in exchanges with you.

    So I am a little lost on what you are trying to establish

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    You can only come to one of two conclusions:
    - Christianity evolved to stop killing people
    - Society evolved to stop letting christianity kill people
    A bit of a false false dilemma here, being that the moderation and secularization of the western world was accomplished both within and without the church



    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    If you think christianity's roots weren't founded on an insane amount of violence, then I don't think you've read the bible.
    If you mean the old testament, that's more a Jewish thing (which was moderated by the fact that they have spent the last few thousand years living as a permanent minority). Christ, as far as I am aware, led a pretty non-violent existence

  9. #389
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    And that justifies the killing of people based on religion? I'm not here to play the "whose religion is better game" because I don't have one, and I don't care. If you want to be a christian, that's great, and you totally should do that. Just keep your religious views out of politics, and stop acting like you're superior because other religions are violent. More people have been killed in the name of christianity than any other religion.
    as a secular citizen of the world, I am actually all for peaceful religious people acting superior over the violent ones. Not sure why anyone wouldn't be

  10. #390
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: AP PHOTOS: Mob in Pakistan torches Christian homes

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    And that justifies the killing of people based on religion?
    Shouldn't we be asking you that? After all, you adopted a defensive position on a thread about muslims randomly attacking people

Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •