Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 58

Thread: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    04-10-13 @ 10:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    522

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    I'd be more inclined to support the cameras if the company making / operating them wasn't getting close to half of the ticket revenue. There is too much incentive for corruption. If the cities purchased them outright and their police departments were the sole operators, I would still hate them, but be more supportive.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Why couldn't they get a Company from their Own State? Why does the money have to go to a company in MD. Which BTW is the one State in the entire US that has more Federal Programs than any other state in the Country. They get the most assistance from the Fed.

    My thought is if they are going to take a picture then they need to have one as to who the driver is. Just because someone owns the vehicle doesn't mean they are driving it. Yet that's who will receive the ticket in the mail. Example would be someones kid using the car, or a close friend of the family.

    Moreover what if one was in an Emergency trying to get their people to the hospital. All a camera does is snap the pic. But if a real Cop is on the scene and discovers there is an emergency. Then one also has an escort to the Hospital. As they will clear the way. Thru intersections and all the way to the hospital.

  3. #13
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Why couldn't they get a Company from their Own State? Why does the money have to go to a company in MD. Which BTW is the one State in the entire US that has more Federal Programs than any other state in the Country. They get the most assistance from the Fed.

    My thought is if they are going to take a picture then they need to have one as to who the driver is. Just because someone owns the vehicle doesn't mean they are driving it. Yet that's who will receive the ticket in the mail. Example would be someones kid using the car, or a close friend of the family.

    Moreover what if one was in an Emergency trying to get their people to the hospital. All a camera does is snap the pic. But if a real Cop is on the scene and discovers there is an emergency. Then one also has an escort to the Hospital. As they will clear the way. Thru intersections and all the way to the hospital.
    hell of a solution right there [/s]


    our state's constitution requires all traffic fines to be paid over to the public school system
    which meant that there was no money available to pay the camera owner/operator; took a single trial to recognize that reality
    system dismantled and moved to some other unfortunate state without similar protections
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #14
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    They have no idea who was driving. They have no face recognition technology. The ticket is issued based on the license plate number of the vehicle and mailed to the address on record for that vehicle registration. If it is not a moving violation then what is the charge?
    It's my understanding that unless there's a picture of the driver? It's not a "point ticket." I do think that most camera tickets include a photo of the driver.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #15
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's my understanding that unless there's a picture of the driver? It's not a "point ticket." I do think that most camera tickets include a photo of the driver.
    That assumes that the driver is the owner. I have seen traffic court cases where the defense attorney is accompanied by a non-defendent, that sits in the defendent's chair. When the defense attorney asks the arresting officer (the state's witness) if that is who the ticket was issued to, (refering to the person in the defendent's chair), when the officer responds yes - the case is over, dismissed as the non-defendent shows the officer/judge their ID.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #16
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That assumes that the driver is the owner. I have seen traffic court cases where the defense attorney is accompanied by a non-defendent, that sits in the defendent's chair. When the defense attorney asks the arresting officer (the state's witness) if that is who the ticket was issued to, (refering to the person in the defendent's chair), when the officer responds yes - the case is over, dismissed as the non-defendent shows the officer/judge their ID.
    That would get the lawyer in a ton of hot water in my state unless the Court and prosecution were informed ahead of time and the Court approved it.

  7. #17
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Good for the judge!

    The redlight cameras are nothing but highway robbery. Speeding cameras might be OK, depending upon how they are administered.

    The redlight cameras fine somebody for being in the wrong spot at the wrong millisecond, and there is nothing fair about that.

  8. #18
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    That assumes that the driver is the owner. I have seen traffic court cases where the defense attorney is accompanied by a non-defendent, that sits in the defendent's chair. When the defense attorney asks the arresting officer (the state's witness) if that is who the ticket was issued to, (refering to the person in the defendent's chair), when the officer responds yes - the case is over, dismissed as the non-defendent shows the officer/judge their ID.
    I've "read around" on the internet, and it's hard to find specific information. States are different. It's their purview. The most logical I read is that if the photograph doesn't match the owner, the ticket is dismissed. The owner is then asked who was driving his car that day.

    Your tale here? Good luck with that. I could see contempt of court and obstruction of justice if it's discovered. Against the attorney and the fake defendant.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #19
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,321

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    Im against red light and speedinf cameras.

    They started a red light program in Houston as a revenue booster.

    I and many others just refused to pay the fines.

    They were taken down eventually.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Judge: Town's speeding cameras are '3 Card Monty' scam

    The problem with speeding tickets is that the set speed limits aren't the actual safe speed of movement.
    On a rural 4 lane that I travel to work on, the speed limit is set at 65, in some sections and 55 in other sections, with most motorists exceeding those limits by 10 or more mph.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •