Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144 LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 1439

Thread: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

  1. #1421
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Other than you totally repudiate the U. S. Constitution's Bill of Rights...
    How so? I beg to differ.

    you have a point.
    Yes I know.

    Of course, then you agree any state or locality can totally ban firearms, shut down newspapers, ban free speech, and decide you can't vote.
    No, this is where your own misguided, and distorted view of what a "right" is, is muddled....The only way for your side of the argument to have any credibility is not in reading the Bill of Rights and finding in there anything about abortion, but rather using a reference to privacy and extending that to cover an act that many find deplorable. If it was such a consensus in this country for abortion to be the norm there is one way that those in support could ensure that it is an actual right, and that is to offer an amendment and go through that process. But, that will never happen because in referendum like that you know full well it would fail. So instead what progressives do is to use the court in a way that was never intended for the court to have such power, and claim it anyway through judicial fiat, through un elected judges. Progressives have politicized the court since Marbury, and it is one reason that our country is in jeopardy of losing the foundation that we were founded on....

    I disagree totally, but you can have your opinion.
    I can have my opinion, but I know you saying it is really just more lip service, you don't believe that at all.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1422
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,953

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Actually it was a majority of republican appointed justices that legalized abortions in the Roe vs Wade decision.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  3. #1423
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How so? I beg to differ.



    Yes I know.



    No, this is where your own misguided, and distorted view of what a "right" is, is muddled....The only way for your side of the argument to have any credibility is not in reading the Bill of Rights and finding in there anything about abortion, but rather using a reference to privacy and extending that to cover an act that many find deplorable. If it was such a consensus in this country for abortion to be the norm there is one way that those in support could ensure that it is an actual right, and that is to offer an amendment and go through that process. But, that will never happen because in referendum like that you know full well it would fail. So instead what progressives do is to use the court in a way that was never intended for the court to have such power, and claim it anyway through judicial fiat, through un elected judges. Progressives have politicized the court since Marbury, and it is one reason that our country is in jeopardy of losing the foundation that we were founded on....



    I can have my opinion, but I know you saying it is really just more lip service, you don't believe that at all.
    Because you declared that Federal courts should be inferior to state government and what the legislature or majority in a state wants.

    Also, obviously you believe federal laws banning partial birth abortions etc are illegal and unconstitutional - since there is no Constitutional authority provided for this in the Constitution.

  4. #1424
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Because you declared that Federal courts should be inferior to state government and what the legislature or majority in a state wants.

    Also, obviously you believe federal laws banning partial birth abortions etc are illegal and unconstitutional - since there is no Constitutional authority provided for this in the Constitution.
    Do you believe that the SOCTUS is in place to make law?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #1425
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,953

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Do you believe that the SOCTUS is in place to make law?
    Does SCOTUS Make Laws?

    That is I guess a matter of opinion.
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  6. #1426
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Does SCOTUS Make Laws?

    That is I guess a matter of opinion.
    How so?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #1427
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,953

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    How so?
    Well I thought it was your opinion that SCOTUS made a law.
    It is my opinion they interpreted the Constitution.


    In retrospect, it is evident that constitutional interpretation and application were made necessary by the very nature of the Constitution.

    The Founding Fathers had wisely worded that document in rather general terms leaving it open to future elaboration to meet changing conditions.

    As Chief Justice Marshall noted in McCulloch v. Maryland, a constitution that attempted to detail every aspect of its own application "would partake of the prolixity of a legal code, and could scarcely be embraced by the human mind. . . . Its nature, therefore, requires that only its great outlines should be marked, its important objects designated, and the minor ingredients which compose those objects be deduced from the nature of the objects themselves."
    The Court and Constitutional Interpretation - Supreme Court of the United States
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  8. #1428
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Well I thought it was your opinion that SCOTUS made a law.
    It is my opinion they interpreted the Constitution.



    The Court and Constitutional Interpretation - Supreme Court of the United States
    It is...I just wanted to see where the current bent of the court to rule, and have that become law, ie Roe, is proper...Can you cite for me where in the Constitution the SCOTUS is supposed to legislate through stare decisis?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1429
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Do Tea Partiers get mad when they see elected representatives spending their time and tax-payer funded salaries and administration costs to pass a law that will never hold up in court?

    Or when the U.S. House votes to repeal the ACA (Obamacare) more that 30 times. Think of all that waste, the hours wasted, the support staff time wasted, when they could have been doing something productive and not just for future political ads. Does this get the Tea Party conservatives upset when they think of all tax-payer $$ gone to waste?

  10. #1430
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Arkansas to ban abortion at 12 weeks, earliest in nation [W:1036:1154]

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    Do Tea Partiers get mad when they see elected representatives spending their time and tax-payer funded salaries and administration costs to pass a law that will never hold up in court?

    Or when the U.S. House votes to repeal the ACA (Obamacare) more that 30 times. Think of all that waste, the hours wasted, the support staff time wasted, when they could have been doing something productive and not just for future political ads. Does this get the Tea Party conservatives upset when they think of all tax-payer $$ gone to waste?

    I don't know, but I can tell you that progressive sure do get mad when they aren't allowed to just run roughshod over the rest of us....
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •