Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 262

Thread: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

  1. #151
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hello! The facility has a no-CPR policy that all residents are aware of and still chose, even pay, to live there. The nurse was bound by contract not so different than DNR, entered into with informed consent by residents.
    I don't buy it. I want to see this "informed consent" form, if it even exists. I also want to know how this facility is marketed. A nurse's ethical obligations supersede any contract. It is made abundantly clear in the Code of Ethics that the ethical requirements of being a licensed nurse take priority above all else.

  2. #152
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    You apparently don't know what the AHA's current recommendations for CPR are. You don't check the pulse any more before starting CPR. You check breathing and responsiveness:
    Only if you are a layperson. The guidelines clearly state that a medical professional may check for a pulse prior to administering CPR as they are trained to detect it.

  3. #153
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,427

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I don't buy it. I want to see this "informed consent" form, if it even exists. I also want to know how this facility is marketed. A nurse's ethical obligations supersede any contract. It is made abundantly clear in the Code of Ethics that the ethical requirements of being a licensed nurse take priority above all else.
    Ok, well, when you've accepted that the nurse was, in fact, under legal obligation established by informed consent, come back and let us know.

  4. #154
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I completely disagree with your characterization of nursing homes (and by implication, assisted living centers, etc). In some cases, children have no choice. If your parent is demented, incontinent, bed-ridden, etc it can be impossible to care for them at home. In addition, depending on the circumstances, these places can provide the patient with a level of socializing they could not get anywhere else.
    I agree. I hope that I am lucky enough to able to die that way, going from fully alive to death in short order. I do not look forward to having a slow, gradual, debilitating and very painful death.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #155
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Ok, well, when you've accepted that the nurse was, in fact, under legal obligation established by informed consent, come back and let us know.
    I'm not going to "accept" anything that hasn't been proven. No one has produced this alleged informed consent form or established that this policy was clearly communicated to this resident. That is one of the reasons why there is an investigation.

  6. #156
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I agree. I hope that I am lucky enough to able to die that way, going from fully alive to death in short order. I do not look forward to having a slow, gradual, debilitating and very painful death.
    My mom died from "complications of Alzheimers'"

    Quicker is better
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #157
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,669

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    My mom died from "complications of Alzheimers'"

    Quicker is better
    Mine as well, that is not the way to go. My father is still alive and nearly 91.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I want to see this "informed consent" form, if it even exists.
    That would be a confidential document. You will need to contact her next-of-kin and request a release of information consent form and submit said form to the home.

  9. #159
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    My mom died from "complications of Alzheimers'"

    Quicker is better
    Sorry to hear about your Mom, sincerely.

  10. #160
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,427

    Re: Calif. woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    I'm not going to "accept" anything that hasn't been proven. No one has produced this alleged informed consent form or established that this policy was clearly communicated to this resident. That is one of the reasons why there is an investigation.
    Take your time.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •